The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Floor carpet - no longer available.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:49 PM
Reaction score
Just received telephone call from Ineos to advise that carpet flooring is no longer available due to 'standards issue'.
Therefore only rubber matting can be specced BUT carpet mats are still available.
Those like myself who chose the carpet flooring will have their account amended in due course.

A shame that this 'issue' has only now been found at a very late stage hopefully no more
'surprises' to come !!
For the utility flooring, are their rubber mats like what weathertech and husky liner make or is there nothing removable there?E0295820-FFA5-4CD6-A65A-5563C712771E.jpeg

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:49 AM
Reaction score
I’m a bit surprised to have only just now seen this thread. I’ve had carpet flooring with rubber mats specced since day one and it’s been confirmed on my contract. No communication from Ineos or the dealer to say it wasn’t an option.

Previously on my Defenders, vinyl flooring was the only option and I was a bit concerned when we got our current W463 G Wagen with full carpet. However full cover rubber mats with upturned edges have proven to be fine and have perfectly protected the carpet. The added soundproofing from carpet with rubber mats for dirt has been a winner as far as I’m concerned.

My only worry is that the floor mats (carpet or rubber) won’t extend up to cover the massive RHD left footrest. This is going to have a dirty boot on it 100% of the time so it’s pretty crucial that it gets protected.

Beormund

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:49 PM
Reaction score
My only worry is that the floor mats (carpet or rubber) won’t extend up to cover the massive RHD left footrest.
I don't see how you could have the footrest covered unless the mat was a) split or b) moulded i.e. not flat.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
My only worry is that the floor mats (carpet or rubber) won’t extend up to cover the massive RHD left footrest. This is going to have a dirty boot on it 100% of the time so it’s pretty crucial that it gets protected.
Why do you think a dirty boot is a problem?
It's not the least bit crucial in my long history of wearing dirty boots :) I detest carpets in utility cars, and even in parts of my house.
If it really is an issue , glue a piece of thin aluminium to it.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
or CSI type overshoes to avoid contamination l. better keep the plastic on the seats as well

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Must admit I too wanted a fully carpeted version. As I am of the mind this could be my last ‘expensive’ car purchase I have no issues biding my time and finding a good carpet alternative given time. I feel that the oft talked about foot rest on the RHD version is partly down to the light grey colour, making it look more pronounced.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Must admit I too wanted a fully carpeted version. As I am of the mind this could be my last ‘expensive’ car purchase I have no issues biding my time and finding a good carpet alternative given time. I feel that the oft talked about foot rest on the RHD version is partly down to the light grey colour, making it look more pronounced.
I'm with you, I wanted to have a carpeted version. And yes it will be my last car ~ age and health related issue. I think the RHD foot rest is more pronounced by the rubber mating shaping making it a good 10mm wider.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don't see how you could have the footrest covered unless the mat was a) split or b) moulded i.e. not flat.
I would expect a split section. That’s how the left footrest in my current vehicle has the rubber mat cover it.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm with you, I wanted to have a carpeted version. And yes it will be my last car ~ age and health related issue. I think the RHD foot rest is more pronounced by the rubber mating shaping making it a good 10mm wider.
Last week I removed the rubber mat & pulled up the drivers footwell section of the rubber flooring to closely examine the part covering the RHD footrest, especially the right side sloping down next to the brake pedal.

The rubber flooring is approximately 5mm thick but on the right side of the infamous footrest there is a 30mm thick section (which has the effect of making the footrest at least 25mm wider and the gap between footrest and brake pedal narrower than is otherwise would.

Why?

No obvious reason - maybe extra heat protection but why on the side of the footrest.

Here is a photo showing the gap filled by the extra thick rubber flooring.

IMG_6598.JPG

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Last week I removed the rubber mat & pulled up the drivers footwell section of the rubber flooring to closely examine the part covering the RHD footrest, especially the right side sloping down next to the brake pedal.

The rubber flooring is approximately 5mm thick but on the right side of the infamous footrest there is a 30mm thick section (which has the effect of making the footrest at least 25mm wider and the gap between footrest and brake pedal narrower than is otherwise would.

Why?

No obvious reason - maybe extra heat protection but why on the side of the footrest.

View attachment 7804398
That's so mice can get in and out easily and don't have to chew a hole

Steveo

Global Grenadier #1009
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Why?

View attachment 7804398
Could it be that the body had already been modified to reduce the size of the bulge but the moulded floor hadn't caught up with the change yet?
This would be typical in a development cycle such as this.
Will be interesting to see whether the gap remains on saleable production vehicles...

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Why?

View attachment 7804398
That is odd. Maybe an aftermarket company will produce a replacement rubber mat that neatly covers that gap but follows the actual hump

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Could it be that the body had already been modified to reduce the size of the bulge but the moulded floor hadn't caught up with the change yet?
This would be typical in a development cycle such as this.
Will be interesting to see whether the gap remains on saleable production vehicles...
Maybe - let's hope so - because you still can't rest your leg on the floor between the footrest & the brake pedal because the gap is not wide enough.

So - actually the RHD footrest saga remains an "issue" albeit for most people a minor issue.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That is odd. Maybe an aftermarket company will produce a replacement rubber mat that neatly covers that gap but follows the actual hump
That is exactly what the INEOS rep said to me...."the aftermarket will have a solution"

Steveo

Global Grenadier #1009
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe - let's hope so - because you still can't rest your leg on the floor between the footrest & the brake pedal because the gap is not wide enough.

So - actually the RHD footrest saga remains an "issue" albeit for most people a minor issue.
An issue for some maybe. I never felt the need to put my left foot anywhere but the footrest on my drive yesterday.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
OK but I bet your knees were not level with each other
It did feel awkward when I first got in, but as soon as I started driving I didn’t notice it anymore. Time will tell if I start noticing it again on a 10 hour highway trip.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It did feel awkward when I first got in, but as soon as I started driving I didn’t notice it anymore. Time will tell if I start noticing it again on a 10 hour highway trip.
Totally agree.

The indisputable fact is that the Grenadier RHD footrest & accelerator pedal are not at the same height.

The footrest is higher (further from the floor) than the accelerator pedal (someone measured the difference and posted it).

So this means that your left foot (and leg) must always be in a higher position than your right leg, meaning that the back of your left knee is slightly raised off the edge of the drivers seat.

Of course, the faster you go, the more you depress the pedal and thus the height difference increases.

Some people - this is of no or such little difference to be of no concern.

For others - they really notice the raising of their left leg and it feels awkward or even uncomfortable.

Back
Top Bottom