The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diesel Engine cooling noise diesel

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:02 PM
Reaction score
About 750km on my (diesel) Grenadier thus far - doubt i've taken it over 70kmph yet, all on city roads, stop/start... yes, not ideal for a modern diesel. Probably 3 or so regeneration cycles in recent weeks, none of them on particularly hot days - so external temp doesn't seem to be a related factor.

Quite an odd/inconvenient behaviour this - what makes the Grenadier different to any other modern diesel that it has to do this?

It's windy - on the legs - when you walk around the car when it's going through this process.

Also

Regen - a process of heating, I thought?
Fans - are for cooling?

So which is it? (maybe both?)

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:02 PM
Reaction score
Take it for a decent run along the highway for a hundred or so km. Vary the rev range (within reason) It takes at least 25km to get it up to proper operating temperature (as judged by the oil temperature). Short trips are anathema to the B57 diesel. Should settle down😉👍

Reactions: Sam

AMD66

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:02 PM
Reaction score
Anyone with a diesel who can help? After turning off the car after a 30 minute drive. The engine cooling fan is super loud for 3/5 minutes after I turn off the ignition. Is it normally this loud?

Many thanks
DPF Regeneration ….its normal. My diesel does this when it needs to.👍

Local time
Reaction score
Mine didn't do that until after it went into the dealer for the software upgrade. After the software upgrade - the fan was constantly running - even during the UK winter, and even when I hadn't been driving hard. I suspect that the fan threshold was lowered during the software upgrade. Nothing else would explain that behaviour.

TheLadyLux

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi everyone-
Just wanted to say a huge thank you for all the info on this thread.
I picked up my Grenadier and only drove it four times…220kms and the super loud fan came on. I thought the car was going to catch fire & explode by the sound it was making.
It was straight back to the dealership here in Sydney. They have tested and tested and can’t seem to figure out what is wrong. It’s now happened 4 more times - during short trips, long trips, over 70kms, under 70kms. It’s completely random each time, and has happened at hot 30C days and during 15C nights.
We drive it 250kms on Sunday- down the coast & bank with no issues. Today (Frist time driving since Sundays big drive) driving 30kms to my office - in traffic, it did it again.
My colleague happened to be in the parking garage when the fan kicked on- he drives a 2023 BMWX7 diesel- and said “oh, my car does that!”
That comment prompted me to do a google search - “ BMW diesel motor fan issue “ and this thread popped up.
Again- just wanted to say thank you. It’s rest to know that I’m not the only one experiencing this. I really thought my car was a lemon.
I still don’t think it’s normal for this to do it as randomly as it seems. I’ve noted all your advice and I’m still going to push for a resolution at my dealership. I’ll let you know if anything gets fixed. Thanks again.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi everyone-
I picked up my Grenadier and only drove it four times…220kms and the super loud fan came on. I thought the car was going to catch fire & explode by the sound it was making.
It was straight back to the dealership here in Sydney. They have tested and tested and can’t seem to figure out what is wrong. It’s now happened 4 more times - during short trips, long trips, over 70kms, under 70kms. It’s completely random each time, and has happened at hot 30C days and during 15C nights.
We drive it 250kms on Sunday- down the coast & bank with no issues. Today (Frist time driving since Sundays big drive) driving 30kms to my office - in traffic, it did it again.
My colleague happened to be in the parking garage when the fan kicked on- he drives a 2023 BMWX7 diesel- and said “oh, my car does that!”
That comment prompted me to do a google search - “ BMW diesel motor fan issue “ and this thread popped up.
Again- just wanted to say thank you. It’s rest to know that I’m not the only one experiencing this. I really thought my car was a lemon.
I still don’t think it’s normal for this to do it as randomly as it seems. I’ve noted all your advice and I’m still going to push for a resolution at my dealership. I’ll let you know if anything gets fixed. Thanks again.
You be please to know, after a few thousand miles, it happens less often and less noisy but you need to go on the motorway at least once a week and give it the beans.

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am at 10k miles now , i do a decent amount of city driving but as said elsewhere i try to get on highway as ofthen as i can . I also believe keeping start stop on its also a good idea ( getting my helmet on here people are going to disagree) idling apparently is really bad for these engines . I had the fan kick on 5-6 times . Last time was last week when i was gunning it up some steep hills and had the engine revving high for a considerable amount of time . Usually lasts 4/5 minutes . You are able to notice it if it starts while driving and you can wait for it to stop if you want .

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:02 AM
Reaction score
Hi everyone-
Don't worry, this is completely normal. Not only at BMW, by the way. The Mercedes G500 does it too. And probably others as well.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Over the past 10,000 miles I have had this happen several times. Interestingly, the last time was today. Strangely I had just completed a couple of hundred miles of motorway driving so wasn't expecting it. Doesn't worry me too much but I don't park in my oak framed garage if I hear that noise. Also, a bit embarrassing if in town.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Over the past 10,000 miles I have had this happen several times. Interestingly, the last time was today. Strangely I had just completed a couple of hundred miles of motorway driving so wasn't expecting it. Doesn't worry me too much but I don't park in my oak framed garage if I hear that noise. Also, a bit embarrassing if in town.
Immature control system algorithm?
miracle2.jpg

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There are two engine cooling systems/circuits on the diesel version, each with its own reservoir. Rather than a DPF "clean", I suspect the occasional "full force" fan operation may be to lower the temperatures in one or both systems to reduce heat soak after switch off... :unsure:

Back
Top Bottom