The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diesel Engine cooling noise diesel

Sparrow

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:28 PM
Reaction score
Vilnius, Vilnius City Municipality, Lithuania
Happened to mine couple of times, ODO at 1.6k km. Personally I'm not sure is it suppose to happen, haven't had software updated yet.
Damn its load. Did not think its an issue until yesterday neighbor came down the stairs running with fire extinguisher*
*UPDATE*

Had a call with dealer regarding this issue. Was told its not an issue - its suppose to be like that. apparently every single grenadier he sold came back for inspection regarding this.

Was also told that in next 2-3months there will be a software update which will make screen run smoother (not to lag that much).

Also was told regarding heating/cooling since it looks like its common issue as well: when heating turn AC off.

Hope it helps

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:28 PM
Reaction score
Haha wooden barn. You don't want them in the bush here in Oz. They go up first!!!

So today was only 32deg and after a home home the Gren fan didn't kick in. So it is definitely related to high heat in my situation both engine and ambient external. My 2018 Ford Ranger 2.0LBT did the sand thing in pretty sure. A quick can tan for about 30 seconds after doing if the engine was hot (towing the boat home or trailer etc seemed trigger it more often).

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:28 PM
Reaction score
I experienced the same thing yesterday with my diesel for the first time after around 1200 km. Had a 20 minute drive with no heavy load on the engine at 10 degrees outside temperature. The fan kept running for between 5 and 10 minutes after switching off. It was very loud in my opinion. I didn't notice any particular odour. As several people here have already experienced the same thing, I'm reasonably reassured.

Tanters

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This regen business seems to happen to me quite often. Take this week, it happened Saturday (just hit 3000k), happened Tuesday morning (3150k approx.). and ran full cycle.

Car was parked from that point until this morning, Thursday - regen started again after 10kms driving. 🤷‍♂️

I’m driving mainly short urban/suburban journeys at the mo. Is it the short journeys that bring this on? 🧐

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This regen business seems to happen to me quite often. Take this week, it happened Saturday (just hit 3000k), happened Tuesday morning (3150k approx.). and ran full cycle.

Car was parked from that point until this morning, Thursday - regen started again after 10kms driving. 🤷‍♂️

I’m driving mainly short urban/suburban journeys at the mo. Is it the short journeys that bring this on? 🧐
Are you sneaking a bit of red diesel into your tank 🤔😂😂

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Yes short journeys do bring it on. Needs a weekly blast down the motorway. This regen actually gets quieter after the engine starts loosening up and everything feels better.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:28 AM
Reaction score

Is it actually a regen / dpf burn, or is it just the fan running longer after turning the engine off to cool the motor / turbos? I'm guessing this is two different things?

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'd lean towards the latter... especially after a relatively short run on a pleasant Brisbane Spring day (33degC) in heavy traffic... the heat soak after the journey, even using a very light right foot, is significant.
At times in other vehicles without the fan kicking in after engine shut down, I've been known to raise the bonnet (hood.. BTW Happy Thanksgiving to our American friends 😀) to relieve the heat build up....

Tanters

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes short journeys do bring it on. Needs a weekly blast down the motorway. This regen actually gets quieter after the engine starts loosening up and everything feels better.
Aye, thinking that might be required.

Tanters

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is it actually a regen / dpf burn, or is it just the fan running longer after turning the engine off to cool the motor / turbos? I'm guessing this is two different things?
Smells like regen tbh. But maybe there might be fan run on also on occassion. I’ll look at it more closet next time 👍

StevieG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:28 PM
Reaction score
Anyone with a diesel who can help? After turning off the car after a 30 minute drive. The engine cooling fan is super loud for 3/5 minutes after I turn off the ignition. Is it normally this loud?

Many thanks
I have had the same experience. It seems to be normal and switches off after a while.

Tony S

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Anyone with a diesel who can help? After turning off the car after a 30 minute drive. The engine cooling fan is super loud for 3/5 minutes after I turn off the ignition. Is it normally this loud?

Many thanks
Has happened to me once (after driving approx. 20km) - couldn’t understand what caused it as I had only been driving in city traffic and most of the journey was <60 kmph.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Has happened to me once (after driving approx. 20km) - couldn’t understand what caused it as I had only been driving in city traffic and most of the journey was <60 kmph.
Driving in city traffic at speeds below 60km/h is likely to cause the exhaust DPF regeneration to occur more frequently. City traffic is not ideal for a diesel Grenadier due to the high weight. It will burn more fuel doing stop/start/accelerate/stop cycles and that creates more soot deposits in the DPF.
Frequent regeneration cycles are an indicator that the engine is operating outside the required parameters to keep the DPF clean. The ECU detects the build up of excessive soot in the DPF via exhaust pressure measurements. The ECU will initiate a regeneration cycle to burn the soot out of the DPF to keep it clean. During regeneration the cooling fans run at full speed to push maximum air under the vehicle to cool the exhaust and underbody. During regeneration fuel is injected into the DPF and the temperature is in the order of 600-800 degrees Celsius.
If you look at Offroad>Temperature during regeneration you will note the engine temperature rises. My engine sees 100 degrees Celsius during regeneration. Normal temp is around 93c for my vehicle. That's a useful indicator that a regen cycle is occurring (in addition to the high fan noise).

If regular city driving is your curse then a blast along a freeway for 20 mins or so each weekend will reduce the frequency of regeneration cycles. Drive it like a rental! High exhaust temp and gas pressure from highway speeds under a bit of load will help to keep the DPF clean without the need for regeneration.

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
Driving in city traffic at speeds below 60km/h is likely to cause the exhaust DPF regeneration to occur more frequently. City traffic is not ideal for a diesel Grenadier due to the high weight. It will burn more fuel doing stop/start/accelerate/stop cycles and that creates more soot deposits in the DPF.
Not exactly. Engine ECU tries to keep the soot amount as low as possible regardless of the driving conditions. So city traffic doesn't cause more soot but it prevents burning the soot from DPF. Finally it may try to do this if speed is just above the limit but may need to cancel it is speed goes down.

Modern DPF diesels do not suit continous city traffic. It needes once a week highway travel with adequate speed and distance. Otherwise the DPF will clog it and causes first restricted power or finally no-start.

So to avoid emissions you need to emit additional emissions to clean the emission control system ...

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not exactly. Engine ECU tries to keep the soot amount as low as possible regardless of the driving conditions. So city traffic doesn't cause more soot but it prevents burning the soot from DPF. Finally it may try to do this if speed is just above the limit but may need to cancel it is speed goes down.

Modern DPF diesels do not suit continous city traffic. It needes once a week highway travel with adequate speed and distance. Otherwise the DPF will clog it and causes first restricted power or finally no-start.

So to avoid emissions you need to emit additional emissions to clean the emission control system ...
Mmmm, Tomatoe Tomato. Same result said differently. The takeaway point was that regeneration is normal and expected with this engine and it will occur more frequently with city use. It's been discussed to death in this forum and thread but it still surprises new owners when it happens. Euro 6 is relatively uncommon in Australia.

Local time
Reaction score

... and to clean the DPF there is a 7th injector that pumps diesel into the filter which creates even more emissions as it burns off the captured crap the engine exhausts and pushes it out of the tail pipe into your garage.

Here's a really teachnical European document (and we wonder why things cost so much)..

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Had my harrier jump jet sound for the second time tonight. 40min drive on A roads, loud fan noise started about 5 mins before stopping. Continued when I had switched off and locked up. Came back and all quiet. Set off again and the harrier started up again. Checked electrical screen and it showed a charge of 20-22amps for 10 mins before fans stopped and returned to the usual 2-6amp charge (SOC 83%).

Back
Top Bottom