The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Electronic Throttle Control

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:13 AM
Reaction score
As I never heard about such a "tuning" thing like an enhanced throttle control I seek your advice here.
What for is the device and how does it work? Obviously it isn´t an typical chip tuning with more torque and power.
But how does it work and what would be the reason the manufacturers don´t build their cars this way from the start?
Or to put it in other words. Where are the downfalls?

I am curious about the answers!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:13 AM
Reaction score
As I never heard about such a "tuning" thing like an enhanced throttle control I seek your advice here.
What for is the device and how does it work? Obviously it isn´t an typical chip tuning with more torque and power.
But how does it work and what would be the reason the manufacturers don´t build their cars this way from the start?
Or to put it in other words. Where are the downfalls?
What you buy in a modern vehicle is something setup for optimal/general response + economy.

The factory could theoretically set it up (tell the computer (via your right foot pressure/movement) to accelerate with the slightest of pressure/movement. But it's not a Lambo!
That setup would be a problem in stop-start traffic , and offroad where you would be leaping all over the place , especially when you hit a bump.
But an higher than stock response is practically useful under some circumstances, and also enjoyable if you are a sporty driver.
The TC can also be set to "slow" . That gives more control when you are offroad or reversing, reversing up to a trailer etc etc.
So a TC gives you multiple options , factory mode , valet mode (safety factor), offroad control mode , economy mode , launch mode (traffic light hero) and a higher response mode for towing responsiveness , overtaking.
You select the mode you need for whatever situation you are in.

If you know "Sports" / "Sports plus" mode on some cars , that is what you can achieve with the high response settings. Without the change in suspension settings though, it's all analog underpinnings!

No downfalls if you preselect what you need for the upcoming driving situation.

It does not change turbo lag , fuel settings , anything other than the way the vehicle responds to your right foot pressure/movement.
It cannot harm your engine.
Yes it could be fitted ex factory , but perhaps there are safety factors , end user errors of judgement etc. You wouldn't trust most motoring journalists to be able to operate it .... ;)
And you'd pay for the privilege of having it fitted.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Looking for excuses so they could avoid paying for a known failure. But I have seen people blow their motor (on a WRX) due to massive increase in turbo PSI for performance, then restore it to stock and defraud the car maker.

I made no engine mods or exhaust changes on the Patrol. I added 3 Autron gauges (now Redarc) so I could monitor engine performance in real time (the gauges monitored 9 things like EGT, turbo boost, oil temp, oil pressure, main battery voltage, aux battery charging amps, etc). After the warranty expired I added an electronic throttle controller - that was it.

The Autron gauges allowed me to head off any issues before they became problems - prevention is better than a cure. One reason I may install a Redarc gauge for EGT and Turbo boost on the Grenadier - unless we get them on the Infotainment unit.
Somewhere I have a picture of a VW Baja bug I had with a porsche 2 litre supertune motor hangin out the back.
I had a bruise on my leg from the long long gear shifter when the motor ripped the engine mounts off.
Nothing quite like that much power and speed coupled with drum brakes, a fibreglass front end and the petrol tank in the front.

Paco Garcia

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:13 AM
Reaction score
Hello friends as I told you, today the offer for the members of the forum has passed me, it is the latest model of Pedal Box Pro from DTE Sustems German company of recognised prestige in the field of vehicle preparation, this last model incorporates a multitude of specific programs for each need with personalised adjustment within each of them, it also incorporates a limited mode for example. Valet parking, and an anti-theft mode that disables the accelerator pedal. Then when I get home I will post the detailed information that has been sent to me. As for the offer, I have obtained 20% in individual orders and 30% in joint purchases (single shipping) from 5 units, as I comment I will be hanging the inf. and the links. Regards, Paco. PS: this model works via Bluetooth without cables and has a specific app to manage it from the móvil

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If all it did was get rid of the lag surge and shunt in normal everyday driving at takeoff it’d be worth the $300.
I know how to press the loud pedal if I want it to do something more. 😉

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
If all it did was get rid of the lag surge and shunt in normal everyday driving at takeoff it’d be worth the $300.
If we raced around a track , my EVC equipped Gren would run rings around yours . Not just because it's petrol, but the responsiveness means you will be left in the starting blocks out of each corner.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That was my goal also. It does this nicely. Maybe we need to meet up and you can have a drive of mine.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I haven't as yet fitted mine.... however I was wondering if those who have some experience with it to date have noted any changes in the acceleration rate when pushing the "reset" button on cruise control when the TC response setting is higher than the default factory response ?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
That was my goal also. It does this nicely. Maybe we need to meet up and you can have a drive of mine.
He will then get one , I promise ;) And not just because of FOMO!

Reactions: PBD

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I haven't as yet fitted mine.... however I was wondering if those who have some experience with it to date have noted any changes in the acceleration rate when pushing the "reset" button on cruise control when the TC response setting is higher than the default factory response ?
Great question @DenisM.

I saw your question early enough to test this on my home commute today. No change.

The ETC was in Adaptive (learning) mode which is still quick off the mark.
I used the throttle to get to 40km/h, the lowest speed the cruise control will engage, then I hit RESume and took my foot off the pedal (cruise was set at 80km/h). The rate of acceleration dropped once the cruise control took over from the pedal and the vehicle accelerated at the normal leisurely rate for cruise control.

The ETC modifies the signal between the pedal and the ECU. Cruise control is normally independent of the pedal; effectively a parallel input to the ECU. According to my pants-ometer, there was no interaction between the ETC and cruise control in this test.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Great question @DenisM.

I saw your question early enough to test this on my home commute today. No change.

The ETC was in Adaptive (learning) mode which is still quick off the mark.
I used the throttle to get to 40km/h, the lowest speed the cruise control will engage, then I hit RESume and took my foot off the pedal (cruise was set at 80km/h). The rate of acceleration dropped once the cruise control took over from the pedal and the vehicle accelerated at the normal leisurely rate for cruise control.

The ETC modifies the signal between the pedal and the ECU. Cruise control is normally independent of the pedal; effectively a parallel input to the ECU. According to my pants-ometer, there was no interaction between the ETC and cruise control in this test.
@Clark Kent : Many thanks for taking the time and effort...much appreciated🙂

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting I was speaking to a dealership today and brought the topic up. The reaction was very very hesitant given the computer is likely to pick up its use (and be discoverable via diagnostics) and so if there was a problem related or not Ineos my well use it.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting I was speaking to a dealership today and brought the topic up. The reaction was very very hesitant given the computer is likely to pick up its use (and be discoverable via diagnostics) and so if there was a problem related or not Ineos my well use it.
100% the response an agent or dealer is obliged to say. It's not like they would want you quoting them telling you to go ahead.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:13 PM
Reaction score
I can’t see how it would be detectable bearing in mind it has no change on ECU. Either way, I couldn’t now go back to what I had prior to fitting the throttle control

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I appreciate the discussion that invariably comes with a mod like this. Whether you're comfortable with the idea depends on where you are on the risk <> reward curve.
I have tried to share my understanding of how it works and my experience with the effects delivered, but not consciously advocated for it. It's a personal choice based on an informed decision.

Ineos have delivered a flat throttle response consistent with the off-road, stable and predictable intent of the vehicle. To me the first 25% or so of pedal travel is lazy on the road which makes the vehicle feel heavy and laggy. This same tuning gives great throttle modulation and control off-road. Other manufacturers, including BMW with the same B57/B58 engines and ZF 8HPxx transmission combinations, offer tunable throttles from the factory as part of driving modes. Often called ECO mode, SPORTS mode, etc. I'm ok with what's occurring via this ETC and it gives me different choices according to where I am using the vehicle. I see it as part of the owner customisation that Ineos said they would leave to the aftermarket to deliver.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I'm sure we have an automotive expert on this forum who knows about such things. Maybe @emax can have a chat to his neighbour Christian - he's dug deep into this sort of thing.

pedrogb

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I just installed my ETC. I took the car for a quick drive, it definitely changes throttle input. I did find a couple of lurches around corners as I was driving it like I used to. What setting does everyone have theirs on? I was scared of the Ultimate 9. It's not a race car. I think you have to leave it on one and try it for a day. Too many options for a button presser like me.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
General driving: economy or factory.
Highway/ towing: ultimate for responsive overtaking.
U9 and Launch for giggles. U1-6 for generally sharper feel. Some people are active pilots, others just like smooth cruising.
Anti slip :eek:ffroad bumpy control , reversing trailers.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I just installed my ETC. I took the car for a quick drive, it definitely changes throttle input. I did find a couple of lurches around corners as I was driving it like I used to. What setting does everyone have theirs on? I was scared of the Ultimate 9. It's not a race car. I think you have to leave it on one and try it for a day. Too many options for a button presser like me.
I quite like Ultimate 4 for general street duties. Currently running in Adaptive mode to see how that evolves over time.
I also saw some lurching at first which I am convinced was me unlearning muscle memory and learning the new response rate.
Ultimate 9 and Launch modes are reserved for hot pursuits. A bit too aggressive given the mass of the vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom