The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Electronic Throttle Control

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:31 AM
Reaction score
I know nothing about electronic throttle controls but I found this in case anyone is interested.
I got in touch and ask if it would be suitable for the Grenadier. I received the following response….
”Thank you for your enquiry and for the details. As long as you have X-series B57D30 3.0L I6, this will suit and will allow the engine to run as per factory settings. Also, it is plug and play and no modifications are required.”
This appears to me to be the correct application, but would appreciate those in the know to confirm.
Would also appreciate anyone’s experience with an ETC.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I know nothing about electronic throttle controls but I found this in case anyone is interested.
I got in touch and ask if it would be suitable for the Grenadier. I received the following response….
”Thank you for your enquiry and for the details. As long as you have X-series B57D30 3.0L I6, this will suit and will allow the engine to run as per factory settings. Also, it is plug and play and no modifications are required.”
This appears to me to be the correct application, but would appreciate those in the know to confirm.
Would also appreciate anyone’s experience with an ETC.
Someone else here suggested the Ultimate9 evcX X401 throttle controller and I installed one a couple of days ago, it definitely works with a wide range of adjustment. This is the step up from the model you listed (EVC401) which would work as well.

Still playing with the settings, this one works from the buttons or connects to a easy to use app via Bluetooth. Relatively easy to install, remove single bolt at base of throttle pedal, remove connector at rear of pedal assembly (would be difficult for the big fingered), insert new control unit and run cable to mini head unit.

I got my unit from 4X4 Mods Australia for a good price and they delivered quickly:
https://www.4x4modsaustralia.com.au...te9-EVC-X-Throttle-Controller-All-BMW/Mini-00

Here is a pic of the control unit, it is tiny (apologies for the dodgy pic)Ult9 evcX X401 2.jpg

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:31 PM
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance but what does it actually do?
Just did what I should have done before asking the question and googled some info. Still be keen to read some user feedback

Last edited:

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance but what does it actually do?
Changes how quickly the throttle reacts to your input. You can make it react faster than the factory setting, removing the initial lag in the throttle input. The factory setting is fairly conservative, biased to better control off road versus a bit more urgency in a city environment.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Something else to spend my money on. 🤔
Never realised I would need one and already desperate to fit one. 😁

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Changes how quickly the throttle reacts to your input. You can make it react faster than the factory setting, removing the initial lag in the throttle input. The factory setting is fairly conservative, biased to better control off road versus a bit more urgency in a city environment.
My mate's electric wheel chair has a throttle control module...there's a full range of throttle travel within each band ... LOW setting for indoors and creeping through and around doorways :ninja:.... MEDIUM for shopping malls :devilish: and HIGH for chasing his dogs on a leash!:ROFLMAO:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:31 AM
Reaction score
Is it possible to utilize these ETCs to make the throttle ranger "softer?" That is, so it requires more input to achieve a small response, making it better for slow, but more controllable driving ; I say this because off road I don't want a twitchy throttle on rocky technical trails.

I'm not sure if I am explaining this right, but hopefully it makes sense.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Is it possible to utilize these ETCs to make the throttle ranger "softer?" That is, so it requires more input to achieve a small response, making it better for slow, but more controllable driving ; I say this because off road I don't want a twitchy throttle on rocky technical trails.

I'm not sure if I am explaining this right, but hopefully it makes sense.
Yes, although the factory setting is fairly "soft". For example the evcX above has an Anti-Slip mode and an Eco mode each with nine different selectable levels, as per the manual for Eco mode "dampens initial throttle response for greater control on loose or uneven surfaces such as when off road".

It also has a valet mode which only allows 50% throttle and a lock mode where you can remove the mini head unit and it renders the throttle inoperable.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For Australian users the EVC X401 is on sale for the next 4 days here. EDIT: sale was extended.

I have not done an extensive review of Australian pricing but that seemed cheaper than all the other sites I looked at for that model. The BMW version is 401 or X401 (I believe, but do your own research before you buy).

Last edited:

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Bit of a shock regarding the increase in performance when using a throttle controller. My experience is with the DTE version from Germany. Early days but WOW! Will report further, soon.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Further to my last comment.
A couple of weeks ago, I didn't even know what a throttle controller was. Now I have one, I can only say how awesome it is. A few of the areas impressing me most:

1. Throttle response seems so much smoother.
2. The dead spot I experienced at lights and round a bouts, now gone
3. Sport mode verges on mental and makes me feel sure that something must have been done to my ECU (It hasn't).
4. The Pro version I have means all controls via my phone. No extra buttons or gadgets on display in the vehicle.
5. Extremely customisable with very little technical knowledge required.
6. 5 year warranty and 30 days money back if not satisfied.

Took me around 20 mins to fit. Problems centred on removal of the connector from the back of the throttle peddle. Requires a strong grip. Make sure that key is removed from the ignition and the car has been resting around 5 mins. If I were doing it again I would be tempted to disconnect the negative terminal from the battery and possibly avoid some of the false alarms I subsequently experienced. Other than that, all very seamless.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Good, I need to get rid of this also.

I used one on my Patrol, it allows you to adjust the car the way you want to drive. After getting an ETC for the Patrol I did not need to get an aftermarket chip for the motor. The cheapest "engine tune" going! But I did it after my warranty expired.

Last edited:

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Further to my last comment.
A couple of weeks ago, I didn't even know what a throttle controller was. Now I have one, I can only say how awesome it is. A few of the areas impressing me most:

1. Throttle response seems so much smoother.
3. Sport mode verges on mental and makes me feel sure that something must have been done to my ECU (It hasn't).
4. The Pro version I have means all controls via my phone. No extra buttons or gadgets on display in the vehicle.
5. Extremely customisable with very little technical knowledge required.
6. 5 year warranty and 30 days money back if not satisfied.

Took me around 20 mins to fit. Problems centred on removal of the connector from the back of the throttle peddle. Requires a strong grip. Make sure that key is removed from the ignition and the car has been resting around 5 mins. If I were doing it again I would be tempted to disconnect the negative terminal from the battery and possibly avoid some of the false alarms I subsequently experienced. Other than that, all very seamless.
Hi @Cheshire cat

#2 would win me over. That hesitation to move off quickly again after stopping is tedious. Not sure if it is diesel specific or if the transmission ECU is involved because sometimes there appears to be a lag while 1st gear is selected.

Have you noticed any difference in reverse? Reversing up my shallow incline driveway is weird and especially if I have my camper attached. In reverse the trans feels like it has a high stall torque converter. A lot more revs to get a response. It might be deliberate tuning to increase the starting torque in reverse gear. Quite noticeable.

Back
Top Bottom