The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Eibach Pro-Lift Kit ~ +30mm coil springs

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:06 AM
Reaction score
Hey Krabby,

Side on pics and an internal wheel arch pic as well for anyone thats interested
Just out of curiosity, was the cost mentioned before inclusive of fitting?

K1LL3M

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:06 AM
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, was the cost mentioned before inclusive of fitting?
Cost is for springs only. Fitting cost will vary depending on whether you or someone else does it, how busy they are, how much they charge per hour, and if they like you or the vehicle.

Its a 2-3 hour (or week) job depending on skill level.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:06 AM
Reaction score
Cost is for springs only. Fitting cost will vary depending on whether you or someone else does it, how busy they are, how much they charge per hour, and if they like you or the vehicle.

Its a 2-3 hour (or week) job depending on skill level.
Thanks 👍🏼

Local time
8:06 PM
Reaction score
Local time
2:06 AM
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to get the call from John at Eibach Australia to say that he had set of springs and would I still like them.

Having been chomping at the bit to get these, I was quick to say yes and 2 days later, we're done.

So I now have a lifted Grenadier. The increase from factory on my vehicle is ~45mm. I would expect some settling, but I'm not disappointed from a "30mm" lifted spring.

I have not had the opportunity to test it on the dirt yet, but I can say, on the road, the handling is every bit as precise and refined as the factory ones (which you would expect, given Eibach make the factory ones).

Comments from the installer were that the vehicle was well engineered and manufactured, all the bolts lined up perfectly and went straight back home with no persuasion necessary. He also did say that much more lift would require extensions to brake lines and adjustable panhard rods. This is typical where 2 inchs is no problem, but 3+ and you have to start replacing things as you're outside factory tolerances.

The extra lift has made a big difference to the presence of the car for me. It just feels like it was meant to be. I'm keen for the rims to arrive and I can get the tyres on and pick up another 20mm lift or so

K
Your lift is actually 50% higher than what was advertised? So its about a 1.8 inch lift prior to any settling of the springs. Did you transition from factory springs that were not rated for the winch, to the taller springs that are rated for the winch?

If you care to share any additional experience so far, that would be great. Thanks!

Local time
Reaction score

I'm not surprised to see someone offering a lift with longer shocks. I just posted about the possible need for longer shocks on another thread - because I didn't know there was already a thread going on the Eibach suspension lift.

Here is most of that post:

Based on the Eibach website, they are offering a taller spring, but they are not offering different shocks with this lift. According to @anand there will be no change to payload (unless you move from factory springs that have one spec for payload, to the taller springs that have a different spec), and no other modifications are required.

30 mm = 1.18 inches. But this still seems like it would take the shocks out of the "normal" zone that they were designed to run in. In other words: when the vehicle is unloaded ("resting position"), the shocks were designed to be extended by X amount. If you lift the truck by 1.2 inches, the resting position of the shock has been extended, and is now X + 1.2 inches, so you probably lose "droop" - which refers to the downtravel of the shock. Shocks need both uptravel and downtravel when off road. Without a longer shock, this lift might reduce articulation. In the photo below, the front left tire is demonstrating "downtravel", or "droop". The greater the downtravel, the better able you are to keep a tire in contact with the ground.
Grenadier_22_articulation.jpg

I'm also curious about their testing, and how this lift affects driving dynamics (mostly because the control arms are short, and - even with a small lift - when control arms are short, the angle of those arms is changed more dramatically). With just a 1.2 inch lift, this may be a non-issue. I would guess that the lift has been kept to a modest 1.2 inches, because that is the most you can lift the truck before the length of the control arms becomes a problem. The short length of the control arms is a significant obstacle to lifting a vehicle. Replacing short control arms with longer ones is a big deal, especially in a new vehicle. There are a lot of challenges, and lots of testing is needed. Even if they figure it out, it will cost $12,000-$15,000 to buy the kit (long arms, taller springs, taller shocks, other necessary hardware), and then most people will need someone to install it, because it requires cutting bracketry off of the frame, and welding new bracketry onto the frame (long arm kits are not bolt-on).

-----------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: It looks like Eibach has two offerings, but I think they are probably the same:

(1) From the Eibach website: an Eibach lift that comes with four springs that are 30 mm taller - but no shocks. This lift looks to be around $1,000 AUS, or around $650 US.

(2) From the Expedition HQ website: an Eibach lift that comes with four springs that are 35 mm taller, and four King shocks (presumably a little taller than the stock shocks) - $5,500 AUS, or $3,500 US.

It seems strange that Eibach is selling two different sets of springs, so I wonder if the difference is payload related, and maybe the 35 mm springs are the ones for a winch and a rear tow hitch, while the 30 mm ones are the ones spec'd for a Grenadier without a winch and tow hitch. I think these are the same springs - and they are just being described differently (after all, we are talking about a difference of 5 mm, which even an American can figure out isn't very much).

Last edited:

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:06 PM
Reaction score
What if the whole design was for the eibach lift springs to be OEM but due to regulations or supply chain, they went with the smaller one? Playing devils advocate here.

On the 35mm, I do know the King shocks are designed for customization in terms of dampening. It isn't just longer shocks but upgrade in shocks plus springs.

Local time
Reaction score
What if the whole design was for the eibach lift springs to be OEM but due to regulations or supply chain, they went with the smaller one? Playing devils advocate here.

On the 35mm, I do know the King shocks are designed for customization in terms of dampening. It isn't just longer shocks but upgrade in shocks plus springs.
It goes without saying that a King shock is an upgrade :)

K1LL3M

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm not surprised to see someone offering a lift with longer shocks. I just posted about the possible need for longer shocks on another thread - because I didn't know there was already a thread going on the Eibach suspension lift.

Here is most of that post:

Based on the Eibach website, they are offering a taller spring, but they are not offering different shocks with this lift. According to @anand there will be no change to payload (unless you move from factory springs that have one spec for payload, to the taller springs that have a different spec), and no other modifications are required.

30 mm = 1.18 inches. But this still seems like it would take the shocks out of the "normal" zone that they were designed to run in. In other words: when the vehicle is unloaded ("resting position"), the shocks were designed to be extended by X amount. If you lift the truck by 1.2 inches, the resting position of the shock has been extended, and is now X + 1.2 inches, so you probably lose "droop" - which refers to the downtravel of the shock. Shocks need both uptravel and downtravel when off road. Without a longer shock, this lift might reduce articulation. In the photo below, the front left tire is demonstrating "downtravel", or "droop". The greater the downtravel, the better able you are to keep a tire in contact with the ground.
Grenadier_22_articulation.jpg

I'm also curious about their testing, and how this lift affects driving dynamics (mostly because the control arms are short, and - even with a small lift - when control arms are short, the angle of those arms is changed more dramatically). With just a 1.2 inch lift, this may be a non-issue. I would guess that the lift has been kept to a modest 1.2 inches, because that is the most you can lift the truck before the length of the control arms becomes a problem. The short length of the control arms is a significant obstacle to lifting a vehicle. Replacing short control arms with longer ones is a big deal, especially in a new vehicle. There are a lot of challenges, and lots of testing is needed. Even if they figure it out, it will cost $12,000-$15,000 to buy the kit (long arms, taller springs, taller shocks, other necessary hardware), and then most people will need someone to install it, because it requires cutting bracketry off of the frame, and welding new bracketry onto the frame (long arm kits are not bolt-on).

-----------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: It looks like Eibach has two offerings, but I think they are probably the same:

(1) From the Eibach website: an Eibach lift that comes with four springs that are 30 mm taller - but no shocks. This lift looks to be around $1,000 AUS, or around $650 US.

(2) From the Expedition HQ website: an Eibach lift that comes with four springs that are 35 mm taller, and four King shocks (presumably a little taller than the stock shocks) - $5,500 AUS, or $3,500 US.

It seems strange that Eibach is selling two different sets of springs, so I wonder if the difference is payload related, and maybe the 35 mm springs are the ones for a winch and a rear tow hitch, while the 30 mm ones are the ones spec'd for a Grenadier without a winch and tow hitch. I think these are the same springs - and they are just being described differently (after all, we are talking about a difference of 5 mm, which even an American can figure out isn't very much).
Expedition HQ have just paired the Eiback spings with Kings shocks that have become available and can be found separately on Superior Engineering's website for ~$5k.

Keep in mind that Eibach are not a 3rd party developer for the vehicle, that are integral to the suspension the vehicle has been designed

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:06 PM
Reaction score
$5k! For springs and shocks?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No. Just the shocks.

Kings are the best made.
As long as you are comfortable with doing off the truck rebuilds every 30k miles or every salt-covered-road winter for those of us here in the US. Kings are great for high speed desert running, but with less than stellar longevity as they are built to be race parts

With that being said, $3500USD for a set of Kings is pretty average. For the Sprinters the fronts alone sell for upwards of $3500 USD, with the full set art just shy of $6k

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
WANTED WANTED WANTED.... REAR SPRINGS PLEASE

If anyone is swapping out their rear purple or black triangle springs for a lift I'd be interested in purchasing to beef up my rear a little.

I'd go a lift but cannot get it in my garage - it's that close to hitting now... could sell the house or deflate the tyres - I guess. 😀

Local time
10:36 AM
Reaction score
WANTED WANTED WANTED.... REAR SPRINGS PLEASE

If anyone is swapping out their rear purple or black triangle springs for a lift I'd be interested in purchasing to beef up my rear a little.

I'd go a lift but cannot get it in my garage - it's that close to hitting now... could sell the house or deflate the tyres - I guess. 😀

Hi bakepl,

I should be getting my diesel Trialmaster with a winch, roo bar, rock sliders, brush bars, cargo barrier in January, so should have the correct rear springs, and I have ordered the Eibach +30mm springs I will install on day 1.
I am sure someone will help you out before then, but if they haven't, I will be happy to help.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi bakepl,

I should be getting my diesel Trialmaster with a winch, roo bar, rock sliders, brush bars, cargo barrier in January, so should have the correct rear springs, and I have ordered the Eibach +30mm springs I will install on day 1.

Hi bakepl,

I am sure someone will help you out before then, but if they haven't, I will be happy to help.
SOLD!!! Fantastic thanks Steve. Hopefully (for me) they fit the heavier springs but.. seems a bit of a lottery. My fingers are X'd... thank you again. cheers Paul

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
As long as you are comfortable with doing off the truck rebuilds every 30k miles or every salt-covered-road winter for those of us here in the US. Kings are great for high speed desert running, but with less than stellar longevity as they are built to be race parts

With that being said, $3500USD for a set of Kings is pretty average. For the Sprinters the fronts alone sell for upwards of $3500 USD, with the full set art just shy of $6k
So King is obviously the wrong solution for an adventure vehicle!

I need to get some time in my Gren and test the suspension first hand. If the Eibach +30mm spring rates are appropriate (I fear they won’t be) a good solution could be adding 1.2” shock extensions.

Back
Top Bottom