The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diesel DPF

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:14 PM
Reaction score
According to the data from Ineos. Diesel has 1.5 times more NOx and 2 times more soot than the petrol.
On NOx you’re right the diesel is slightly worse, but in all other measures; CO2, carbon monoxide and particulate matter, the petrol is worse. Check the specs, it’s all there.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:14 PM
Reaction score
DPF's really do remove all the soot, I was amazed that after 150000 miles the tail pipe on my defender was still shiny on the inside.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Meanwhile in Australia
"Australia has very different air quality standards to those recommended by the World Health Organisation.

Mr Loveridge says the WHO has recognised the problems with PM2.5, a fine particulate matter which he says is the main thing that comes out of diesel.

"The WHO guidelines are now 5 micrograms per cubic metre [as the standard average annual air-quality level], but in Victoria we are still 8 micrograms per cubic metre," he says.

That gap in air quality standards, he explains, means communities can be exposed to air quality which would be considered poor under WHO guidelines, but is marked as good under Australian standards.

"I have read where some scientists reckon Australia is about 10 years behind when it comes to the rest of the OECD countries, when it comes to working out what is the safer levels of air pollution," he says."

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:14 PM
Reaction score
The permissible values for NOx emissions are political values, not scientific ones. And since everyone is parroting the alleged truth, the fear of the so-called Diesel "danger" is growing in public perception like cancer. Sheer brainwashing.

As for the numbers, just this: in Germany, the NOx limit for workplaces is 950 µg/m³, 23 times higher than the NOx limit for road traffic at 40 µg/m³.

Not much more to say.

This is not for the people, but against Diesel and individual transport in general.

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Meanwhile in Australia
"Australia has very different air quality standards to those recommended by the World Health Organisation.

Mr Loveridge says the WHO has recognised the problems with PM2.5, a fine particulate matter which he says is the main thing that comes out of diesel.

"The WHO guidelines are now 5 micrograms per cubic metre [as the standard average annual air-quality level], but in Victoria we are still 8 micrograms per cubic metre," he says.

That gap in air quality standards, he explains, means communities can be exposed to air quality which would be considered poor under WHO guidelines, but is marked as good under Australian standards.

"I have read where some scientists reckon Australia is about 10 years behind when it comes to the rest of the OECD countries, when it comes to working out what is the safer levels of air pollution," he says."
Always easy to heckle from the cheap seats :)

Australia would literally decimate its remaining refineries if it pushed Euro 6 in aggressively as our refineries were not in a position to meet the requisite fuel standards to support Euro 6. They will be by 2027 if I recall correctly. Whilst I’m sure we would all love improved air quality the government does have a broader set of accountabilities and one of those is energy security which ties in heavily with national security.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
The problem for the politicians is that the industry and their engineers have, so far, always managed to fulfill the new "standards". So what to do against traffic?

Easy: The brakes and the tires are next on their list. Whilst it would be possible to reduce braking emissions to zero (by eddy current brakes), it is physically in fact impossible for tires. The tires' task is to produce friction to build up a counterforce on the road to destroy energy. Same applies for acceleration in the opposite direction.

And with this magic agent they can in principle reduce any traffic volume to zero at will.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Petrol more CO2 per km, but diesel more particulates and nitrogen oxides
That’s not the full truth. The modern petrol engines do not eject less particles than the diesel engines. The particles are just smaller. Unfortunately they do more damage when smaller… That is
a.) one reason why the debate of banning diesel cars is somewhat irrational in my opinion.
b.) the reason why petrol engines with high pressure direct injection get their own particle filters.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Meanwhile in Australia

The European guidelines are not as strict as the WHO ones neither!

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:14 PM
Reaction score
On NOx you’re right the diesel is slightly worse, but in all other measures; CO2, carbon monoxide and particulate matter, the petrol is worse. Check the specs, it’s all there.
This from Ineos, particulates for petrol are less.B073596F-C172-4F6D-B227-C79117AB9B7A.png

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just a little reminder why no one should trust the W H O

View attachment 7804297
I don’t understand… how do surfaces get contaminated? (rhetorical question)

It puzzles me how clearly intelligent people get enlisted into this hopeless, politicised illogic.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Confirmation bias remains strong across all belief systems, which is why I tend to side with rigorously debated science.
Of course peeling back the layers of overt or unconscious influence that may exist in those areas!
Science and debating are 2 very valuable subjects for any schoolchild.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I don’t understand… how do surfaces get contaminated? (rhetorical question)

It puzzles me how clearly intelligent people get enlisted into this hopeless, politicised illogic.
Plenty of tests have been done on the handrails on escalators that retain downright disgusting levels of contamination.
I try not to touch them.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Confirmation bias remains strong across all belief systems, which is why I tend to side with rigorously debated science.
Of course peeling back the layers of overt or unconscious influence that may exist in those areas!
Science and debating are 2 very valuable subjects for any schoolchild.
When COVID first came out and people were dropping like flies my doctor told me that due to my underlying medical conditions i would probably die if I caught it.
i had 3 vaccinations and attended a work event in Sydney which turned into a super spreader event.
70% of the attendees caught it.
I didn't.
Last June I attended another event in Switzerland and even though I had no symptoms i tested positive.

No idea if it was all a coincidence or a conspiracy but I was very happy to quarantine in luxury in Andermatt Switzerland than looking up at a hospital ceiling

1677365037985.png

Back
Top Bottom