The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diesel DPF

Joerg

Production/Transit
Local time
3:52 PM
Reaction score
I wonder :
Does the Diesel have a DPF and where is it located ?
If yes is the burn out manual and if not can the automatic DPF burn be stopped or delayed ?

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:52 PM
Reaction score
I wonder :
Does the Diesel have a DPF and where is it located ?
If yes is the burn out manual and if not can the automatic DPF burn be stopped or delayed ?
DPF Yes.
Burn: Automatic as I was told.
stopped in Wading Mode.
If there any stops in Offroad Mode I do not know.
On Road Mode no delay / stop.

Joerg

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
DPF Yes.
Burn: Automatic as I was told.
stopped in Wading Mode.
If there any stops in Offroad Mode I do not know.
On Road Mode no delay / stop.
Thanks
Confirms what I know
Will ask Grenadier at Brisbane Show 17.03 and come back

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think if you do long journeys or tow heavy trailers you'll likely never need a burn. I think its excessive idling and town driving that causes a build up of soot.

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think if you do long journeys or tow heavy trailers you'll likely never need a burn. I think its excessive idling and town driving that causes a build up of soot.
I believe this is the reason uk police have dropped the 3.0d bmw from their fleets as they were catching fire. It’s been referenced on another thread.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:52 PM
Reaction score
According to my knowledge short distance driving and engine - exhaust system doesn't warm up is a problem.
Towndriving and idle - is not a problem - as long as the exhaust system gets sufficiently hot enough.- DEF needs an operating temperature also.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:52 AM
Reaction score
Not sure this is true, they do a fairly regular burn even with long distance driving. I think the problem eith lots of short distance driving is that the vehicle may not get to operating temperature often enough and burn cycles get interrupted when the car is stopped so it just doesn’t get to do complete burn cycles often enough and then it gets clogged.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:52 AM
Reaction score
Not sure this is true, they do a fairly regular burn even with long distance driving. I think the problem eith lots of short distance driving is that the vehicle may not get to operating temperature often enough and burn cycles get interrupted when the car is stopped so it just doesn’t get to do complete burn cycles often enough and then it gets clogged.
Correct... most dpf-equipped vehicles require about 20 minutes of sustained highway driving at 80km/hr or more for the dpf burn cycle to function properly and rid the filter of accumulated carbon/soot. When the vehicle is in constant stop/start traffic, and the burn cycle cannot operate effectively, the filter becomes clogged and big $$$ required to either clean or replace the filter.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Correct... most dpf-equipped vehicles require about 20 minutes of sustained highway driving at 80km/hr or more for the dpf burn cycle to function properly and rid the filter of accumulated carbon/soot. When the vehicle is in constant stop/start traffic, and the burn cycle cannot operate effectively, the filter becomes clogged and big $$$ required to either clean or replace the filter.
Fortunately for BMW it only requires above 40km/h but still needs about 20/30 mins and to be at operating temperatures

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
All I know is that my 2.2tdci defender which did 160000 miles while I had it never appeared to do a burn. I did lots of towing and a short trips for me would be about 20 miles.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
All I know is that my 2.2tdci defender which did 160000 miles while I had it never appeared to do a burn. I did lots of towing and a short trips for me would be about 20 miles.
My Pajero Sport gives you no indication it is doing a burn, but it does regularly, you can see of you use an OBD2 scan guage

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
All that means is it’ll be mandatory to go camping somewhere or do a trip down to the coast on at least a fortnightly basis from delivery. It’ll be a bastard, but if it has to be done it has to be done. 😉😂😂😂

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Many news cars are automatic - but in town the newer cars seem problematic with short trips + incomplete burns. I will likely run a burn once a week MINIMUM anyway whilst doing a highway run and temps are up... least yuo can be sure its not going to come get you. Once DPFs start to issue out - you're in a world of hurt and normally requires a trip to the shop (hopefully not in limp mode!)

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Or one can get the ADS and toolkit out and clean it oneself... not clear to me why DPFs are treated as some mystery that only a shop can fix.

Joerg

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Fortunately for BMW it only requires above 40km/h but still needs about 20/30 mins and to be at operating temperatures
We experienced the DPF on a 10 day slow going off road trip in a LC 300
The burn came automatically on a regular basis and couldn’t be stopped .
So ,long grass and Spinifex on the track can be a danger , even if you are not stopping or parking .
The only way is to keep the DPF device as high as possible in the engine bay to keep it off the ground or have a manual overrule to stop it .
Will check that out as soon as I can
I

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Off road and wading modes turn the DPF burn off so good for driving in spinifex

Back
Top Bottom