The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diff breathers

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:33 AM
Reaction score
My suggestions;
  • Become familiar with the car, both engine bay and underbody, use the jack provided, see if you can undo the wheel nuts etc.??
    (get a jacking plate, extend the tools supplied, a good air compressor is essential like the TJM and a tyre gauge plus tyre deflators, spare valve stems/dust caps etc & a good puncture repair kit - all the basics.
Yep
  • When you get it home in the driveway, LANOTEC everything!!!! After a trip or under body wash, LANOTEC again (this helps INEOS chassis waxed coat protection).
Probably not necessary, but can’t hurt
  • Basic recovery items and practice using them. (If you ordered the Red Winch, replace the rope as is way too short
The reason it is short is that there isn’t space for a longer one. Get a winch extension rope and an X-Lock for shortening it.

• Fitting a strong bash plate to the higly exposed steering damper.

One will probably emerge, but it would decrease clearance. The damper is very robust and not hard to remove in an emergency if damaged
  • Check/provide all Diff/Gearbox/Transfer Case breathers actually work. Test Raised Air Tube (snorkel) is actually sealed?
It’s not sealed
  • Check Fuel filter / air filter - get some spares.
  • Purchase the essential spare parts - ie. spare wheel nuts & studs, lots of spare bolts too like suspension.
Yep
Check all fuses - buy many spares.
Yep

OzyGrenie

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

OzyGrenie

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yep

Probably not necessary, but can’t hurt

The reason it is short is that there isn’t space for a longer one. Get a winch extension rope and an X-Lock for shortening it.

One will probably emerge, but it would decrease clearance. The damper is very robust and not hard to remove in an emergency if damaged

It’s not sealed

Yep

Yep
'Red Winch' rope too short: Therefore not enough length for double pulls etc. very limited.

OzyGrenie

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I look forward to you posting detailed information on some of those suggestions. A couple of points:
  1. The raised intake is not sealed. INEOS have confirmed this. It is a raised air intake not a snorkel. Safari Snorkels have confirmed there are no current plans for a snorkel for the INEOS (we can hope that will change in the future if enough people ask).
  2. You cannot put a longer rope on the Red Winch, it is custom winch made for the INEOS. You will need to use rope extensions.
  3. It’s good question; I doubt there’s easy data, but the temp differentials are probably more of an issue in Australia/Africa than anywhere else. I’m going to guess that working the axles does not create undue heat, and that really hot ambient temps are likely to get a higher number, who knows, maybe working hard 50 over a hot highway? Water can be 0, but in a hot country unlikely to be much less than 15, still a decent drop. Maybe someone could take a stab at the pressure (volume) change for say 5 litre air volume experiencing 35 degree drop?
    I’m looking forward to being too distracted by having the car to do this much conjecture…🥴
    When you get pulled out of river having 'drowned' your very first 4x4 in the middle of no where, you get distracted! (1978 - Nissan shorty, fortunately idling engine, to a day to clear water filled pistons, change oil etc - then home rippped out seates matting - very lucky, I learnt alot :)
  4. Both fuel filters have finally be found on the Diesel model (at least the OZ spec).
  5. Detailed threads already exist on fuses, NATO plugs, Deutsch DTP plugs and the CTEK chargers and quite a few other topics.
  6. The diff breathers are very low and I will be rising them, before going through water.
Start a thread on Lantotec style products and we can add Chasis Shield and othe

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:33 PM
Reaction score
'Red Winch' rope too short: Therefore not enough length for double pulls etc. very limited.
Easy enough to carry a 30m extension for when a longer pull is necessary. I understand globally winch line length needs are vastly different (here on the East coast of the US, if you can't find a tree within 15-20ft, you're doing something wrong; where as out West, you may be 70+ft, and thus something like a Pull-Pal would be advisable). In our neck of the woods, a short winch line is ideal and to carry (several) extensions for when other scenarios present themselves

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You are missing the point. You said replace the winch rope, but with the OEM winch that isn’t possible as there isn’t room for more rope. It is what it is, if you can’t live with it then you will need to look for aftermarket bars and winches. You can do a double line pull with a winch extension rope, but you will need to make sure that the join is on the vehicle side of the snatch block or recovery ring. You will likely also need some way of adjusting the length of the winch extension rope like an x-lock. My need for a winch is limited it is more as an additional emergency option for me. I have rarely had ocassion to use mine in previous vehicles and and pretty confident that the INEOS winch, some soft shackles, recovery rings, an extension rope and an x-lock will get me out of the kinds of trouble there is any significant likelihood of me getting into. Also handy for manoeuvring camper trailer and other objects in odd spaces.

If you think you can’t manage without more rope then don’t order the OE winch, you won’t be able to make it work for you. You will have to see what the aftermarket comes up with. I believe LeTech has an option, at least for Euro bumper versions.

Last edited:

OzyGrenie

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I look forward to you posting detailed information on some of those suggestions. A couple of points:
  1. The raised intake is not sealed. INEOS have confirmed this. It is a raised air intake not a snorkel. Safari Snorkels have confirmed there are no current plans for a snorkel for the INEOS (we can hope that will change in the future if enough people ask).
  2. You cannot put a longer rope on the Red Winch, it is custom winch made for the INEOS. You will need to use rope extensions.
    You cant use a double line pull! Not long enough - wont always be front or rear recovery, try sideways? A good example however rare, not just off road alone:
    View: https://youtu.be/Z3ChEkSsxpE
  3. Both fuel filters have finally be found on the Diesel model (at least the OZ spec).
  4. Detailed threads already exist on fuses, NATO plugs, Deutsch DTP plugs and the CTEK chargers and quite a few other topics.
  5. The diff breathers are very low and I will be rising them, before going through water.
Start a thread on Lantotec style products and we can add Chasis Shield and others.

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I have rarely had ocassion to use mine in previous vehicles and and pretty confident that the INEOS winch, some soft shackles, recovery rings, an extension rope and an x-lock will get me out if the kinds if trouble there is any significant likelihood of me getting into
And a shorter winch rope and extensions might be easier to deal with if conditions are wet/muddy, especially seeing the way the Red winch is encased in the roo bar, being shorter is a plus there when it comes to crud and fouling on the rewind.

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
And a shorter winch rope and extensions might be easier to deal if conditions are wet/muddy, especially seeing the way the Red winch is encased in the roo bar, being shorter is a plus there when it comes to crud and fouling on the rewind.
Also many people forget that the rated capacity of a winch is only for the first layer of rope on the drum you lose a significant amount of capacity with each additional layer. Often shorter runs and resetting is the best option in any case. If course double line pulls help to compensate there, but as I said before you can still do a double line with an extension, you just have to set it up differently. It is no doubt less convenient but it is what it is with this winch, there is no point whinging about it, order if you think you can make it work (I think I can) don’t order it if you don’t.

CBN

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
i pulled out the one-way breather vent fitting from atop the rear diff on the weekend. it definitely can only exhaust diff casing air, thread measures: M10x1.0
Seems like most of the off the shelf kits are for 1/8 breathers 😒

OzyGrenie

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This maybe useful to discussion.

RED WINCH Synthetic Rope: At 12m (40 ft.) of usable rope, this is largely an impracticle length (bit over a few car lengths) in the majority of recoveries, not only for a double line pull or using a snatch block/winch ring. Adding a 30m extension does not assist, you dont winch with that end. The winch rope diameter also determines length with the available space on the winch drum, usually a 12,000lb winch has 10 mm.

RED WINCH PLASMA LOCK : This is really useful (refer YT How to attach a winch rope: (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eokeJokyX9Q
)

Maintaining a synthetic winch rope: It is essential to regularly maintain a synthetic winch rope (unlike steel cable) from dirt especially regular washing and retensioning, depending on use.
Many refrences on the net, (https://ultrawinch.com.au/blogs/how-to/how-to-clean-and-tension-your-synthetic-winch-rope)

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This maybe useful to discussion.

RED WINCH Synthetic Rope: At 12m (40 ft.) of usable rope, this is largely an impracticle length (a few car lengths) in the majority of recoveries, not only for a double line pull or using a snatch block. (Adding a 30m extension does not assist, you dont winch with that end).

You keep saying this stuff but it’s not entirely true. Adding an extension absolutely does help. You may need to reset with a shorter winch rope if you need to move the vehicle a longer distance but it absolutely helps you to reach your anchor point. Saying it doesn’t assist is just silly. It’s not ideal if you are trying to winch yourself up a mountain, but many recoveries are just popping the vehicle out of a hole. We all would prefer a longer rope, but we don’t have one. It doesn’t render the winch useless.

And yes you can do a double line pull, you may just have to set it up a bit differently.

Attach extension to vehicle take extension through snatch block and connect to winch rope, winch. Easy. If you need to adjust the length of the extension you either choose an anchor point further away, or use an x-lock or similar to shorten.

The Grenadier winch rope is attached with a plasma lock.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:33 PM
Reaction score
You keep saying this stuff but it’s not entirely true. Adding an extension absolutely does help. You may need to reset with a shorter winch rope if you need to move the vehicle a longer distance but it absolutely helps you to reach your anchor point. Saying it doesn’t assist is just silly. It’s not ideal if you are trying to winch yourself up a mountain, but many recoveries are just popping the vehicle out of a hole. We all would prefer a longer rope, but we don’t have one. It doesn’t render the winch useless.

And yes you can do a double line pull, you may just have to set it up a bit differently.

Attach extension to vehicle take extension through snatch block and connect to winch rope, winch. Easy. If you need to adjust the length of the extension you either choose an anchor point further away, or use an x-lock or similar to shorten.
Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

For those engaging in purchasing accoutrements for a winch accessory kit for the factory-option RED winch, make sure your pulley is able to hold the rope size (11mm from memory); most of what you'll find in the US for a 10,000-12,000 pound winch will be designed to operate with 9mm (3/8") rope.

As @AnD3rew mentioned, if your winch extension is too long, the X-Lock, or a locally preferred favorite the Recovery 8, are perfect tools to shorten the rope without diminishing its strength. And of course, if you end up having to reposition and reconfigure several times during a winch pull it isn't a "perfect" scenario, but, let's be honest, no vehicle recovery is ever perfect, if it was, there wouldn't be a recovery involved.

One big thing that we harp on over and over during our recovery classes is that while there are absolutely wrong ways, there is never only one right way in vehicle recovery

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

For those engaging in purchasing accoutrements for a winch accessory kit for the factory-option RED winch, make sure your pulley is able to hold the rope size (11mm from memory); most of what you'll find in the US for a 10,000-12,000 pound winch will be designed to operate with 9mm (3/8") rope.

As @AnD3rew mentioned, if your winch extension is too long, the X-Lock, or a locally preferred favorite the Recovery 8, are perfect tools to shorten the rope without diminishing its strength. And of course, if you end up having to reposition and reconfigure several times during a winch pull it isn't a "perfect" scenario, but, let's be honest, no vehicle recovery is ever perfect, if it was, there wouldn't be a recovery involved.

One big thing that we harp on over and over during our recovery classes is that while there are absolutely wrong ways, there is never only one right way in vehicle recovery
Thank you. 👏

Back
Top Bottom