The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diff breathers

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:29 PM
Reaction score
This is what a diff breather kit looks like
Totally different to a non-return valve based breather
They are two way and allow the diff to breath out and back in from a controlled location.

It's the same job I did on my land by stretching the rilsan hose up to the hood

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:29 PM
Reaction score
Also, I’m sure we have enough vehicles in customer hands to put this to bed. At least for this generation of Grenadier.

Or are we starting down the sales market modification road?
Let’s hope someone on this forum that has their Grenadier can clarify the situation 👍🏼

Local time
2:29 PM
Reaction score
Interesting - it was one of the things I planned to check on my drive day, which unfortunately I couldn't make. I've always felt that I'm missing something with how manufacturers think about differential breathers - the "hot air out, cold air in" logic is pretty easy to understand, but the differential that does the most work, the rear, is almost always that simple one-way cap set up.

In the Xterra world, one of the first things a new owner does is to extend the rear diff breather. There are some easy after market kits out there, I ran mine through the frame rail, and up through existing body holes into the rear brake light. Then I put a filter on the end, just to finish it off. The whole project took about 30 minutes, and the whole time I was thinking "why didn't Nissan just do this at the factory?". Double confusing when you realize they did extend the breathers on the center and front differentials to the top of the engine bay!!

Now it would be easy to say this is just Nissan's nearly 20 year old spreadsheet engineering decision, but -the same was true on my 1996 4Runner (with the locking rear diff) and my 2001 Tacoma TRD - all three of these vehicles were "offroad spec" with locking rear diffs, yet none of them had the rear diff breather extended.

Someday I'd like an automotive engineer to explain why extending the breather on the front and center diffs is necessary, but not on the rear. The logic just doesn't track for me.

On this truck, it's not an Xterra after all, I would expect all of the diff breathers to be above the 800mm level; that's the kind of attention to detail I would expect on a purpose-built vehicle, BUT it will not be a game changer for me. Every new vehicle has its quirks, and this one will be easy to solve

jrchrds

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:29 PM
Reaction score
Ok from reading that isn’t there a flaw in the Ineos design then,
vacuum created and then drawing water into the axle via the seals whilst wading. I dont suppose wading mode could mitigate that 🤔
I suppose its a bit of a cost saving feature. The only time you really need to worry about this is if you jump off the highway and right into the river. Normally while 4 wheeling your axle oil wont get so hot that the gas contraction from the cold water is strong enough to draw gas through the seals- the overpressure vents are spring loaded, so it takes a few PSI (chime in if anyone knows the value, I've never seen it) for them to vent in the first place. In common use, they probably wont normally vent, the pressure just changes inside the axle up and down within some minor range. This isn't necessarily the case in the transmission and transfer case, however. Anyway, back to axles. So for the most part, even if you ford a creek in the course of normal off roading, you are aren't going to have a large enough pressure change to force water through the axle seals, which are spring loaded on the inside of the seal, and a pretty secure fit besides, making the vents not necessary. But the overpressure vents are installed for highway driving, because the change from sitting to 70MPH on the highway will definitely create enough pressure to need a vent, and you sure don't want it blowing out the axle seal to do it.

So I guess the takeaway is the number of people who will hit a situation where a full breather is necessary is very small- and likely those people would be installing ARB full breathers anyway, so why spend the money for the city drivers and rare river crossers?

NoMoTaco

Global Grenadier 0742
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:29 PM
Reaction score
No, I didn't even look that day. Wasn't on my mind - I was a kid in a candy shop with no time to read the ingredients.
Well Said (and I can relate)...thanks to the Alex Beras video this minor mystery is solved. The PTO2s with RAI have only these simple Diff Vents.

AA9C57FE-F256-4253-840F-F4B9963FAB99.jpeg

But Can a current Grenadier owner please confirm? We would all be very grateful for some Pictures to go along with such confirmation!

jrchrds

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:29 PM
Reaction score

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So I enlisted some help and set out this afternoon to find the diff breathers...WP_20230512_096.jpg

And found them. This is the rear axle, looking back to the rear bumper. The breather is on the "inboard" side. It feels like a small jiggle valve. Apologies for the bad photos, it really is a pig of a place to get to try and photo:
WP_20230513_134.jpg
WP_20230513_135.jpg

No photos of the front one but it is on the opposite "outboard" side tucked in tight against the upper control arm and coil spring.

I also found out that the diff drain plugs are not underneath the diff housing, but rather in the side:
WP_20230513_094.jpg
WP_20230513_095.jpg

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So I enlisted some help and set out this afternoon to find the diff breathers...View attachment 7811624

And found them. This is the rear axle, looking back to the rear bumper. The breather is on the "inboard" side. It feels like a small jiggle valve. Apologies for the bad photos, it really is a pig of a place to get to try and photo:
View attachment 7811629
View attachment 7811630

No photos of the front one but it is on the opposite "outboard" side tucked in tight against the upper control arm and coil spring.

I also found out that the diff drain plugs are not underneath the diff housing, but rather in the side:
View attachment 7811631
View attachment 7811632
What size hex key for those 🤔

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for that, I happen to have one in my garage. Any further recommendations on specific tools apart from the regular would be much appreciated 👍🏼
Actually, that hex key was ideal for the drain plug but not so good for the fill/level plug on the front diff. Access is hampered by the various huge tubular steel arms ~ I'm not sure whether a socket Allen key and a 6" extension bar would be easier or not. Ran out of time to find an ideal solution today.

Local time
1:29 PM
Reaction score
So I enlisted some help and set out this afternoon to find the diff breathers...View attachment 7811624

View attachment 7811629
View attachment 7811630

View attachment 7811631
View attachment 7811632

Thx DCPU. So are the breathers off the ground more than 800mm (31.5")?

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:29 AM
Reaction score
Do you know how they compensate for temperature / pressure changes
When temperature increases and internal pressure increases the spring allows the release of pressure. When you enter water the diff will cool and pressure drop and the cap will seal tight. I guess the question is what happens when after it heats up and vents air, then it cools and a vacuum forms how is that vacuum resolved. Possibly through axle seals which is ok if above water, but you don’t want water coming in through seals.

Back
Top Bottom