The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diesel Diesel WLPT consumption now 19.2 l/100km!

beg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:48 PM
Reaction score
just checked new land cruiser is advertised as 29mpg

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:48 AM
Reaction score
I assume they are probably a couple or three weeks behind updating online. Until you get around to signing the contract it doesn't matter anyway. Except maybe build slot

SilverNZ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:48 AM
Reaction score
I assume they are probably a couple or three weeks behind updating online. Until you get around to signing the contract it doesn't matter anyway. Except maybe build slot
That's exactly the problem. They were lining things up for me to sign the contract and the suddenly the WLTP figures change. How can I sign up to buy a machine that will bankrupt me driving to the letterbox and have zero resale because it is extortionate to run? If this is a cock-up they need to own it and fix it pronto. If it is true the business is bust.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That's exactly the problem. They were lining things up for me to sign the contract and the suddenly the WLTP figures change. How can I sign up to buy a machine that will bankrupt me driving to the letterbox and have zero resale because it is extortionate to run? If this is a cock-up they need to own it and fix it pronto. If it is true the business is bust.
Calm down. Not a single production vehicle has been driven down the road yet so and figures are mathematical and subject to fat thumbs .

SilverNZ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Calm down. Not a single production vehicle has been driven down the road yet so and figures are mathematical and subject to fat thumbs .
So why do we read anything they print then?

Pessimal

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:48 PM
Reaction score
I guess I have the current record? Just downloaded the Order summary for my configuration
1661241762170.png
Edit: no record :( I see figures like 19,177/100km

SilverNZ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So we can throw our heads back and laugh. Post comments on Facebook or this forum and wait for people to post, "that's me out the screws in the hinges are 10mm and the guy at the drive day said they were 12mm"
Haha yeah, if it's a balls up then it's all good for a laugh...but things get a bit heavier when you're signing a contract to buy a large purchase that is going to be uneconomic to use. All of a sudden my pockets get gorse in them.

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Lets be realistic here, if the new WTLP testing regime comes up with a result like 19l/100km, then that is what the test result says.
Everyone knows though that the real world fuel efficiency will be around the 11-12l/100km mark - irrespective of what WTLP says. So no need to worry about how much extra potential fuel we now will be using.......not.

The only problem I see with the 19lt - if it is indeed 19lt - is that various countries may tax their cars to a greater extent based on that figure. This then is a taxation problem that WTLP is causing, not a problem that the Greandier is causing.

Local time
2:48 PM
Reaction score
Lets be realistic here, if the new WTLP testing regime comes up with a result like 19l/100km, then that is what the test result says.
Everyone knows though that the real world fuel efficiency will be around the 11-12l/100km mark - irrespective of what WTLP says.
i wouldn't be that optimistic...

in my experiences with reasonable driving style the WLTP-values are +/- 10% realistic...

just asked my local dealer/representative to check with Ineos Germany about this 433 vs. 308g...

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:48 PM
Reaction score
Exactly like the prototype vehicle, the prototype business is being being developed out in the open; and this time we are sat in right alongside the development engineer, so we can watch as things fail, crack and fall off along the way.

I sympathise with your predicament and hope you can get clarity on what is an important element of the financial jigsaw that needs to be put together before committing.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:48 PM
Reaction score
As it makes no sense at all to ask the customer service, I suggest this as the next forum question:

"Are the WLTP fuel consumption numbers of ++19 l/100Km correct and if not: What are the correct numbers?"

Last edited:

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I guess that I am not the only one that would not buy the car with an tax relating consumtion of nearly 20L/100 KM.
They told me on the test drive that in normal traffic without speeding a consumption of about 9 Liters would be normal with the diesel engine. About 11-12 with the petrol one.
My old 110 TD5 can be run between 9 and 13 Liters depending of the terrain and the speed. So why should the IG need more?
I belive that there is a error in the calculation.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I wouldn't overrate that.

There are two possible reasons: Either it's a bug, or it's true.

I think it's the first. Consuming +19l/100 km in the long run with a diesel is almost impossible.

But if it's the second cause, it will simply be the grenadier's death sentence. In that case, I would only be concerned about my refund. For the money saved I then had many resources to buy and/or restore or have restored a classic Defender.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My humble opinion - I agree its a bug. The engine its very fuel efficient. Given the fact that Grenadier has some weight and aero dynamic like the North Face of Eiger Mountain in Switzerland - still - 19l /100 is rather like driving a 7 - 10 tonnes lorry. I don't believe it. If so - I would be out as well. 9-11 l / 100km is okay for that size. An average 19l /100km on 90l fuel capacity would reduce the range to about 450kms would kick out off road and touring capability - the major reason for the product to buy meaning project suicide.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Whatever it's for: it's ridiculous. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom