The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Connecting to 40A F113 Circuit wires

nickelnoff

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:28 PM
Reaction score
Didn’t want to ask this on the the Deutsch DTP thread since I suspect the answer is not Deutsch DTP related but does any one know what the recommended plug to join up to F113 circuit wires would be ?

As far as I read and understand Deutsch DTP is good to 25A:

There is a mention of a DTHD standard perhaps something like the following:

I’m specifically looking at getting a compressor hooked up and fancy my chances more with a crimping tool than a soldering iron.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:28 AM
Reaction score
Correct, Deutch DTP plugs are limited to 25 amps.

I would use what the compressor installation guidelines say. Otherwise I would use tin coated copper lugs to the the busbar, with appropriate wire size for a 40 amp circuit. Then crimp the wire into the lug (after I put on the shrink wrap onto the wire, to shrink after crimping).

I would first check the lug fits onto the busbar, put the shrink wrap over the wire before crimping and the check to see the open end of the lug matches the wire size. Otherwise I may look like a fool if I crimp first and find out things do not fit - it has happened.

I do have a general guide on crimping here. The detailed steps are at the bottom of the page. Anderson plug crimping guide here.

Last edited:

nickelnoff

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Any idea on what the wire gauge is for these 3 F113 wires?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Any idea on what the wire gauge is for these 3 F113 wires?
AWG6 wire. That is rated to 40 amps or AWG8 rated at 50 amps. Look at the ratings on the package as well, because with 12 volt wire they normally tell you the amp rating.

Get decent quality wire avoid the Chinese made rubbish.

Last edited:

nickelnoff

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
AWG6 wire. That is rated to 40 amps or AWG8 rated at 50 amps. Look at the ratings on the package as well, because with 12 volt wire they normally tell you the amp rating.

Get decent quality wire avoid the Chinese made rubbish.
I'm thinking (perhaps incorrectly) that I can use the very extensive looking wiring harness that came with the ARB 12V Compressor and not buy any further wire and just a decent crimping tool, stripper, connectors / heat shrink...

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you have the ARB wiring use it.

You might need to crimp on a lug for the battery end. That harness is what I used on my old Patrol, never had any issues.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What do you need to crimp? That crimper would work on bootlace terminals, but not helpful for lugs onto a battery or busbar.

First select the crimp terminal, copper lug or Anderson plug you need to crimp. Then make sure your crimper can crimp what you selected. In the online guide I prefer ratcheted crimpers with changeable jaws, so I can use the same tool with different jaws to crimp a variety of terminals, lugs, etc. Otherwise you can end up buying multiple crimp tools.

Ask a friend when they have crimpers, that is the cheapest option - ratcheted crimpers are better than a plain manual crimper with no racket. Links in the online guide.

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Didn’t want to ask this on the the Deutsch DTP thread since I suspect the answer is not Deutsch DTP related but does any one know what the recommended plug to join up to F113 circuit wires would be ?

As far as I read and understand Deutsch DTP is good to 25A:

There is a mention of a DTHD standard perhaps something like the following:

I’m specifically looking at getting a compressor hooked up and fancy my chances more with a crimping tool than a soldering iron.
Here in Australia, most, including me, would use a 50A Anderson plug

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:28 PM
Reaction score
Here in Australia, most, including me, would use a 50A Anderson plug
Yes that’s what I used on my defender for applications such as a compressor

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner