The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Colour percentage on orders taken

Local time
10:29 AM
Reaction score
I understand about dark cars vs. light cars, the question was about how much difference a white roof made in keeping a car cool. Years ago when I was in Singapore (~140 km from the equator), I noticed all the car roofs were painted white. The old Land Rover "tropical roofs" kept cool by being a double layer with vents arranged causing air between the layers. But my question I guess is if on a vehicle like the Grennie with a solid roof, probably some insulation and then a head liner, does a white roof make a meaningful difference?

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:29 PM
Reaction score
It makes quite a difference. Especially with steep windows (as windows normally have the biggest input in solar warming)

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:29 AM
Reaction score
I understand about dark cars vs. light cars, the question was about how much difference a white roof made in keeping a car cool. Years ago when I was in Singapore (~140 km from the equator), I noticed all the car roofs were painted white. The old Land Rover "tropical roofs" kept cool by being a double layer with vents arranged causing air between the layers. But my question I guess is if on a vehicle like the Grennie with a solid roof, probably some insulation and then a head liner, does a white roof make a meaningful difference?
The sun hits the roof on all vehicles causing them to heat up the interior.
My point relates to the Grenadier roof just as much as every other vehicle roof.
So a dark Grenadier roof will heat up a lot more than a white Grenadier roof.
Therefore more heat will be transferred into the cabin.
The sun only spends a short amount of time directly above the vehicle.
Significantly more heat comes in through the windows of any vehicle than the roof.
The Grenadier has a lot of glass.

Hence the reason I chose the heat reflective privacy glass option.
Put a roof rack/platform on and you will achieve exactly the air gap you have mentioned.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I think, if you put a bright car and a dark car in the sun, they will likely have the then same temperature after five hours.

But the dark one will have it sooner than the bright one.

On a windy day this might be a bit different, though.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think, if you put a bright car and a dark car in the sun, they will likely have the then same temperature after five hours.

I tried it out many years ago with a white and a dark blue Golf 3.
The temperature in the dark one has been a lot higher than the white one!

Reducs

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Supporter
Local time
10:29 AM
Reaction score
Personal Preference (sela green) > Theoretical Temperature Gain

I live in toasty Texas and I'd rather have a dark vehicle without A/C than a white vehicle with A/C. If I end up with the white top it'll 100% be for aesthetics, but still undecided.

I. Loathe. White. Cars.

Viva La Difference! 😁

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:29 PM
Reaction score

With Australian heat, UV13 days, dark cars are extremely hot. I'll try find the test video but there is an infrared measure on a vehicle comparison White Vs Black. The panels were some 15C hotter and interior was 9-12C hotter. Thats 9C over an already 47c for 56c cabin (and they get hotter) in the comparison making the cabin uninhabitable for humans.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
With Australian heat, UV13 days, dark cars are extremely hot. I'll try find the test video but there is an infrared measure on a vehicle comparison White Vs Black. The panels were some 15C hotter and interior was 9-12C hotter. Thats 9C over an already 47c for 56c cabin (and they get hotter) in the comparison making the cabin uninhabitable for humans.
That's parked in the sun with the windows up.
If the interior is already 47 -56 degrees Celsius it is too hot for humans, the extra 9 degrees won't matter
Try to always park in shade
If unavoidable park somewhere where windows can be left down

If you must park in the midday sun and leave the vehicle locked up then on return.
  • Open door
  • Put all windows down
  • Turn aircon to max
  • Open safari windows, as hot air rises.
  • get in car
  • Close all windows
  • Drive away
  • Life's gooooooood

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Hoping privacy glass will be enough here in AU but suspect it may need ceramc tint added for long term UV protection.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Is anybody putting solar panels on the roof?
Solar blanket works for me. Doesn’t charge during the drive time but it’s much more flexible when set up somewhere.

There is a tonne of real estate up there though so I’m sure someone will come up with a workable solution.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom