The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

About Colors

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:17 AM
Reaction score
I am quite unhappy with the currently offered colors.  So I wondered what changed compared to the pre-order configurator.

I remember that "Metallic Gun Metal Grey" was really beautiful. A very elegant choice. But the currently offered Grey does not satisfy me. It turned out (answer from Ineos): Metallic Gun Metal Grey and Donny Grey are different Colors.

So I did a bit of research and looked at some older pictures I had stored and found more differences. It seems that almost any color was more or less significantly changed (I have marked the follwing as CODE to get to an even spacing):

Code:
Old Color Name                    New Color Name<br />-----------------------           ---------------<br />Solid White                       Scottish White<br />Solid Mushroom                    Magic Mushroom<br />     ?                            Eldoret Blue<br />     ?                            Shale Blue<br />Solid Dark Blue                   Britannia Blue<br />     ?                            Sela Green<br />     ?                            Queens Red<br />Solid Black                       Inky Black<br />Metallic Gun Metal Grey           Donny Grey<br />Metallic Silver                   Sterling Silver<br />

The new Scottish white appears to be a bit broken and not like the old Solid White which looked like a kind of a Diamond White.
The new Sterling Silver appears to be more blueish and brighter than the old "Metallic Silver" from my Screenshots.
The new Donny Grey is definitely darker than the old Metallic Gun Metal Grey, and has now a slightly brown tone.
There was a beautiful dark metallic blue (don't know the name) which has no equivalent in the new colors.

Except for the white, each single difference I found is in my taste a downgrade. The Metallic Gun Metal Grey  was gorgeous. It's gone.

Why the f*ck did they do that?  @#§$%&! ?

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
5:17 AM
Reaction score
Agreed. I really liked the old dark metallic grey, but I can’t make my mind up about Donny grey for the simple reason I can’t really see what colour it is.  Sounds daft but on my iPad it just this dark colour which I cannot make out any detail. 
I ordered the Donny grey and thought it was just bad colour render tbh, now if I get the chance I will probably change the colour come the signing of the contracts. 

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:17 AM
Reaction score
All I can add is colors render differently on each computer device maker.   A blue on a iPad will look different if viewed on a LG computer.   If possible, try to get the Pantone color and take it to a paint shop and see if they can make you a sample.  Please keep in mind paint will look different on a piece of metal versus a piece of wood. Maybe Ineos will be kind and share the Pantone to see it I'm real life. I am personally have decided to do white and add a wrap on top of it.    

Local time
9:17 AM
Reaction score
Please be aware that some /most if not all  of the images in the brochure are RENDERS  of the vehicle .

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:17 PM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=emax userid=8900646 postid=1332879859]I am quite unhappy with the currently offered colors.  So I wondered what changed compared to the pre-order configurator.

I remember that "Metallic Gun Metal Grey" was really beautiful. A very elegant choice. But the currently offered Grey does not satisfy me. It turned out (answer from Ineos): Metallic Gun Metal Grey and Donny Grey are different Colors.

So I did a bit of research and looked at some older pictures I had stored and found more differences. It seems that almost any color was more or less significantly changed (I have marked the follwing as CODE to get to an even spacing):

Code:
<span class="typ">Old</span> <span class="typ">Color</span> <span class="typ">Name</span><span class="pln">                    </span><span class="typ">New</span> <span class="typ">Color</span> <span class="typ">Name</span><br /><span class="pun">-----------------------</span><span class="pln">           </span><span class="pun">---------------</span><br /><span class="typ">Solid</span> <span class="typ">White</span><span class="pln">                       </span><span class="typ">Scottish</span> <span class="typ">White</span><br /><span class="typ">Solid</span> <span class="typ">Mushroom</span><span class="pln">                    </span><span class="typ">Magic</span> <span class="typ">Mushroom</span><br /><span class="pln">     </span><span class="pun">?</span><span class="pln">                            </span><span class="typ">Eldoret</span> <span class="typ">Blue</span><br /><span class="pln">     </span><span class="pun">?</span><span class="pln">                            </span><span class="typ">Shale</span> <span class="typ">Blue</span><br /><span class="typ">Solid</span> <span class="typ">Dark</span> <span class="typ">Blue</span><span class="pln">                   </span><span class="typ">Britannia</span> <span class="typ">Blue</span><br /><span class="pln">     </span><span class="pun">?</span><span class="pln">                            </span><span class="typ">Sela</span> <span class="typ">Green</span><br /><span class="pln">     </span><span class="pun">?</span><span class="pln">                            </span><span class="typ">Queens</span> <span class="typ">Red</span><br /><span class="typ">Solid</span> <span class="typ">Black</span><span class="pln">                       </span><span class="typ">Inky</span> <span class="typ">Black</span><br /><span class="typ">Metallic</span> <span class="typ">Gun</span> <span class="typ">Metal</span> <span class="typ">Grey</span><span class="pln">           </span><span class="typ">Donny</span> <span class="typ">Grey</span><br /><span class="typ">Metallic</span> <span class="typ">Silver</span><span class="pln">                   </span><span class="typ">Sterling</span> <span class="typ">Silver</span><br />

The new Scottish white appears to be a bit broken and not like the old Solid White which looked like a kind of a Diamond White.
The new Sterling Silver appears to be more blueish and brighter than the old "Metallic Silver" from my Screenshots.
The new Donny Grey is definitely darker than the old Metallic Gun Metal Grey, and has now a slightly brown tone.
There was a beautiful dark metallic blue (don't know the name) which has no equivalent in the new colors.

Except for the white, each single difference I found is in my taste a downgrade. The Metallic Gun Metal Grey  was gorgeous. It's gone.

Why the f*ck did they do that?  @#§$%&! ?[/QUOTE]

agree emax.

Look at the difference of "Magic Mushroom" between the configurator (a lighter colour with a slight pinky hue) and the video of the prototype tour in Dubai (maybe a bit of grey in the mushroom).

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=ADVAW8S userid=8452459 postid=1332880325]All I can add is colors render differently on each computer device maker.   A blue on a iPad will look different if viewed on a LG computer. [/QUOTE]

Your are right and I know. But I did not watch this on different devices, but only on my Eizo monitor, which is not 100% perfect but still excellent when it comes to color.

It's about the differences. Donny Grey is doubtlessly darker than Metallic  Gun Metal Grey. Donny Grey completely washes out the cars contours, it completely loses contrasts. With Gun Metal Grey, you can nicely see the shape and the accents of the vehicle. These get totally lost with Donny Grey. And there is more brown in it. 

The former dark metallic blue is missing completely in the new palette. That's for sure not a rendering matter. ;-)

And Sterling Silver is clearly brighter and more blueish.

I don't know which trend forecasters figured that out, but they should have kept their hands off it. A Grenadier is IMHO not a trend object, nor is it an iPhone or a purse. I've seen too many times that you just have to put a designer on something technical and it's ruined. And I do explicitly not mean Toby Ecuyer which has done a great job.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=CountyV8 userid=8620645 postid=1332880341]Please be aware that some /most if not all  of the images in the brochure are RENDERS  of the vehicle .[/QUOTE]

Oh yes, tha's true. It's even worse after print: Everything I have got on paper in Bad Kissingen was no better than crap. Black? No! That's supposed to be "Queens Red". It was all done in a hurry. But again: It's not about absolute colors, it's about the differences.

A car manufacturer that uses the web as a sales channel is IMHO obliged to provide the highest possible quality in particular when it comes to visual issues.

Greasemonkey

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
When the configurator went online in September 2021 and I saw the colors of the Ineos Grenadier, I chose Gun Metal Grey even though I didn't like the color 100 percent. Because I assumed that "Gun Metal Grey" and "Donny Grey" are identical and were only renamed, I have now ordered my vehicle in this grey.

In February 2022 I was able to see the Ineos Grenadier live for the first time at the Matzker company in Cologne / Germany. The vehicle on display was grey with a yellow nose. The grey gave me the impression of a "Solid Grey" and I was totally enthusiastic about this shade.
The vehicle was originally silver, but according to Matzker, it has now been wrapped in foil.
Since nobody could or wanted to confirm whether the grey was the "Gun Metal Grey", I wrote to Ineos in England. A few days later an employee called and told me, that the gray of the Ineos with the yellow nose was not !! the "Gun Metal Grey". In the conversation he also stated that the "Gun Metal Grey" was often confused with a dark silver, which at that time had no meaning for me.

Some time later, journalists had the opportunity to drive the Grenadier in the old coal mine in France. Here was the grey Ineos with the yellow nose again and another grey Ineos with the rear corners painted black.

When the price list went online in early May 2022, it again contained a picture of the grey Ineos with the yellow nose. At that time I thought that it was nonsense to show a vehicle in a brochure with a color that you can't buy that way.

I could be wrong, but hearing from "emax" now that Gun Metal Grey isn't the same as Donny Grey, it all makes sense. Probably because 
"Gun Metal Grey" was too silvery, they switched to "Donny Grey". And maybe Donny Grey corresponds to the gre   y of the yellow-nosed Ineos.
If so, then it would be the perfect grey for me.
Sorry "emax"

The problem with colors is that different lighting conditions give the impression of different colors.

Attachments

• Ineos Grey.png
    Ineos Grey.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 99

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
That's ok, no reason for a sorry. It's all a matter of taste.

And exactly what you say "Gun Metal Grey" was too silvery is why I liked it so much: In between Silver and and a solid Grey.

The lighting is really relevant. My 2000 MB 220 CDI-T has a very dark metallicblue. Depending on the sun, it sometimes has a very slight violett in it. And sometimes it's just a marine. I like that very much.

Local time
Reaction score
Useful to see the debate on the colour as right now I'm equally undecided. This is the problem in not being able to view a physical vehicle or colour swatch. So far I've ordered the Donny Grey as I originally wanted the Gun Metal Grey. I am though undecided between this and Sterling Silver. Hopefully I'll get to see a better example before finalising the order and committing. Would be interesting to see what colour choices are currently the most popular.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
You can start a poll.

Not about the color one wants but the one which was or will be ordered in reality.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Each of us sets the priorities differently. And that is also a good thing. I think you have to follow your feelings and think about what is important for you.
Personally, the choice of colour is secondary. Of course, I have to like the basic colour in principle. But whether it's lighter, darker, shinier, etc. doesn't matter to me.

My focus is entirely on the technology, such as the engine, transmission and chassis.

The Grenadier has to work for me, just like my Land Rovers. I expect the scratches in the paintwork from passing branches and thorns after the first week at the latest. Hopefully in September.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
> Of course, I have to like the basic colour in principle. But whether it's lighter, darker, shinier, etc. doesn't matter to me.

Apparently, you're not married.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For sure! And my wife sees it the same way! She adds: The vehicle must fulfil its purpose. It will be brown on the underside, as well as frequently ?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
That's an extraordinary wife. ?

Cavaleiro

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
And I thought the prototype in Cologne, where I could ride, wore the later color Donny Grey. Apparently, the color will probably now be even darker. All the greater will now be the surprise live - at pickup.

For a colorful color I lack the courage, black like my Defender it did not have to be. I always liked the Black Edition at the Defender - gray with contrast roof black. I guess I wanted to imitate that.

Attachments

• 78367C39-C3E2-44BE-8A89-BEA85AAC74E1.jpeg
    78367C39-C3E2-44BE-8A89-BEA85AAC74E1.jpeg
    662.2 KB · Views: 54
Local time
Reaction score
For a vehicle that goes off road I try and consider what will least show scratches. I used to have a black Range Rover which wouldn’t have been too bad but JLR in their wisdom decided to use white primer underneath which showed through quite readily!

equismorio

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I emailed Grenadier and asked them if they can mail me body color palette.  I told them that the color scheme of my monitor seems to be door dark that the gray, blue, and green colors all like black.  And also that the white color is too dark.  Grenadier said that once the dealerships are set up that you can visit them to see the actual colors.  My problem is that I want to order my vehicle as soon as possible - hopefully this can be done at a dealership and I can actually look at the true body colors....

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@SteveB I often drive my vehicles in forests and fields. So far, all my Land Rovers are green. I will no longer do that with the Grenadier. I will use mushroom. Scratches are least noticeable there. This colour is also less sensitive to dust and dirt.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I believe they're using BASF as their paint supplier, so you could try and get the 2022 automotive palette and match the colours up (if they're not unique to Ineos).

Back
Top Bottom