The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Clicking Speed Warning

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:08 AM
Reaction score
Whatever they write or wrote: there is no such camera on the Grenadier, at least not on mine.
It's for MY2024 AFAIK

Sekurt

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:08 PM
Reaction score
Here’s a picture of the U.S. camera system. It’s been included in all of our “build” photos, you just needed to know what to look for. This is a zoomed in pic of mine from last April. Hard to detect from the picture but it’s there. Interestingly my dealers 2 demos are similar. Their Trialmaster has only a wiring dongle hanging to the right side of the rearview mirror and the Fieldmaster has the full forward looking camera. Dealer is RTGT for anyone that wants to confirm for themselves

IMG_8262.jpeg

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:08 AM
Reaction score
Whatever they write or wrote: there is no such camera on the Grenadier, at least not on mine.
But there are on the model 2024. Its mandatory not only in the EU now. Yours does not have a lane assistant neither. But the new ones have.

Offroad

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:08 AM
Reaction score
I wondered this also. According to:

"Intelligent speed assist (ISA). ISA scans for road signs, warns you when you’re pushing the speed limit, and refers to high quality maps when signs are elusive. Sensible and smart, wherever the road takes you."

View attachment 7834510

i.e. There's a camera. And a wee computer. Watching the road. Interpreting speed limit signs.
I'm getting ready to do a longer post of this issue but what I'm also experiencing is that when its unable to get a sign reading and there is no speed info in the mapss, it lights up a message on the display as well as an icon on the mini dash. Its driving me CRAZY.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
Thread 'Picked up My Grenadier!'
https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/picked-up-my-grenadier.12413710/

“ CarPlay > Ineos > Settings > Vehicle Settings > Vehicle Functions > ADAS Systems > Intelligent Speed Assist > Over Speed Warning > Over Speed Warning OFF > Carplay
Note: My startup screen is Carplay

AND, you have to do it EVERY SINGLE TIME you start the vehicle.”

Thanks @Offroad for this.

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
This system is a gift from EU, and you're all going to get used to it (global homologation is a powerful force, especially for smaller OEMs).

What you're getting from EU
In the European Union’s 2019 General Vehicle Safety regulation, ISA (intelligent speed assistance ) is one of a few new mandatory features for all vehicles produced after 6 July 2022. To comply with all regulations, vehicles must be equipped with the following:

Intelligent speed assistance
Emergency stop signals
Driver distraction warnings
Driver drowsiness alert systems
Alcohol interlock installation facilitation
Tire pressure monitoring
Reversing detection
Event data recorders

What ISA is and how it works
ISA determines the speed limit with two main data streams. One via GPS, which locates the vehicles and transmits the relevant speed limit from a mapping databank. The other is via the onboard cameras, which scan oncoming road signs for posted speed limits. If there is a disagreement between the mapping data and the speed limit road sign data, ISA will prefer the road sign data to determine the legal limit.

How it interacts with the driver
Along with the must-have features for all motor vehicles after mid-2022, the new directive has the following ISA specifications:

The ISA system must turn on every time the car starts
The driver is able to switch off the ISA system
The driver must be aware of whether the ISA system is on or off
The system will not prohibit the driver from exceeding the speed limit
The driver must be audibly notified if they have exceeded the appropriate speed limit
Unlike other existing vehicle regulations, new cars bought in previous years do not have to be recalled by the automaker and have an ISA system installed.

Some musings
I'm in the industry (not this technology but other software for cars). You do get used to it but it can be annoying. I suspect that ineos uses the mobileye system, it's the market leading system. I personally like when the camera reading of a sign is displayed on the dash, useful if I miss a sign. I prefer to keep the warning off or setup for +10% of speed limit.

In all jurisdictions in the US the law requires you to drive the vehicle at a safe speed. That may not be the speed limit. In some cases exceeding the speed limit is the only safe way to drive (for instance if everyone else is speeding). Some states gives out tickets for not following the flow of traffic even if driving the speed limit (hogging the left lane on a hwy and holding the speed limit causing slowdowns and unsafe passes will get you a unsafe driving ticket in many places in the US). Similarly you can get out of a speeding ticket if you can prove that it was the safer choice for that driving situation.

Last edited:

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thread 'Picked up My Grenadier!'
https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/picked-up-my-grenadier.12413710/

“ CarPlay > Ineos > Settings > Vehicle Settings > Vehicle Functions > ADAS Systems > Intelligent Speed Assist > Over Speed Warning > Over Speed Warning OFF > Carplay
Note: My startup screen is Carplay

AND, you have to do it EVERY SINGLE TIME you start the vehicle.”

Thanks @Offroad for this.

I was going to start a thread on this, and maybe focus on US/MY24 since the system may be different on other models.

I’m talking to Noland about my build- some discrepancies on features- and I included a link to the delivery thread mentioned above and said that I have serious reservations about my IG reservation if this feature can’t be ‘tamed’.

It seems the AUS version can me modified for a max/min speed?

I will not take a car that beeps at 1mph over. If it is as simple as covering the camera and disconnecting the GPS antenna, I might be in.

Offroad

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was going to start a thread on this, and maybe focus on US/MY24 since the system may be different on other models.

I’m talking to Noland about my build- some discrepancies on features- and I included a link to the delivery thread mentioned above and said that I have serious reservations about my IG reservation if this feature can’t be ‘tamed’.

I will not take a car that beeps at 1mph over. If it is as simple as covering the camera and disconnecting the GPS antenna, I might be in.
I have a write-up I'm working on. As I understand, the ADAS just dropped in the 2024 USA version first. So, what people are seeing with earlier deliveries in other countries is different and I think better. That's why this issue is so new to people.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Besides mentioning this to my dealer, I also contacted IG on their website directly. I told them that if this is as it seems, I won’t be going through with my purchase. Maybe some here think that is an over-reaction, but I want to get their attention. We are already so far outside the original intent, and if this nanny system can’t be defeated, it’s worse than any of it competitors.

While we all here are part of the cult, do you think anyone coming off the street is going to buy one if it clicks at them everytime they break the speed limit? The people that don’t give a flying fudge about solid axles and full-time 4x4 will just buy a Defender.

I sure as crap aren’t putting down a $1000 deposit until this is addressed.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:08 PM
Reaction score

The Aus version is not ADAS, there is a submenu option where you can select a single speed level where it will warn you when you reach that limit (default is off). This is the old skool speed warning that most cars have. In Aus the Grenadier is classed as a medium commercial vehicle so is currently exempt from these modern safety systems, it has no camera.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The Aus version is not ADAS, there is a submenu option where you can select a single speed level where it will warn you when you reach that limit (default is off). This is the old skool speed warning that most cars have. In Aus the Grenadier is classed as a medium commercial vehicle so is currently exempt from these modern safety systems, it has no camera.
AUS also doesn't have the MY2024 yet, which is when all this stuff gets introduced to the Grenadier

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
7:08 AM
Reaction score
But there are on the model 2024. Its mandatory not only in the EU now. Yours does not have a lane assistant neither. But the new ones have.
Yes I know. But that's the future and the TO was asking:

Is there a way to turn off the clicking speed warning that clicks annoyingly when you reach or exceed local speed limits?

which doesn't sound to me like the future but like now. That's why I did not ask "where will the car know the local speed limit from?"

Or to make this surprisingly complicated story a little shorter: What does the TO want to tell us or what is he talking about?
Or is he just stirring the pot?

But that's just for the sake of clarification: it's probably not that important, because the TO probably doesn't have anything more to say about it. 🤷‍♂️

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
From Ineos when I asked about the clicking.

“ Thank you very much for contacting INEOS Automotive.

This noise that you refer to, is part of legislation mandatory for compliance in the EU, where our production is based.

All new vehicles are required to have these measures in place to ensure safe driving, if they wish to operate in the EU.

There are no exceptions for personal vehicles regardless of company.

And so, I am uncertain if there is a way to permanently disable this setting.

However I can ask the technical team if there is likely to be an update patching this in non-EU markets such as USA and Canada.etc.

I will respond to your email once correspondence is given from our technical team”

I cannot fathom a more off-‘brand’ ‘feature’ than a speed limit nanny system. I could give a flying fig if it is mandatory in the EU. I could give a flying fig if it is mandatory in the US.

If they think that EV sales are sliding, wait until people get stuck with these flaming bags of dog crap. Most cars now a days can last easily 10 years. 15 if you aren’t an idiot on purchasing or maintenance. A few years ago my thoughts were how to I get a normally aspirated V8 with a manual. Now it’s, how to I not get a Franken-nanny car that will LITERALLY tut-tut me.

I’m sure that they have lawyered the language and the weasel words are TIGHT on the fact that every IG you drive until the one they deliver to you doesn’t have these features.

My first thought was to cancel the order. Then I saw that they are trying to get a $25k premium for deliver-today IGs that I guess someone passed on- and thought maybe I’ll try that. But if the speed clicker isn’t a fixable issue, I see a glut of these refuseniks for sale.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The US will be their biggest market. That non-answer needs to be addressed

flynnsk

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The US will be their biggest market. That non-answer needs to be addressed
An answer will come one way or another. If Ineos is 'unable to' (regardless of reason) you can rest assured that some enterprising folks will sell a solution. Either an ODB2/ECU update or something a bit more permanent, time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom