The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Charging battery

Local time
8:41 PM
Reaction score
When I picked up my Grenadier the agent told me if I needed to do jump start, to remove the plastic engine cover and connect the earth jumper cable to the lifting hook on the front of the motor. Seem a bit odd?

The starter motor only has 1 cable connection (+) the negative (-) is the body of the starter which is bolted to the engine/flywheel cover.
Somewhere there will be an earth strap/cable that will connect the engine and gearbox to the chassis which in turn is connected to the Neg side of the battery.
Connecting the negative/earth to the engine is a good thing.

This is a common failure in old cars where this connection becomes corroded or loose and charging/starting problems occur.
In some vehicles electrical gremlins are caused by earth connections between the body/seatbox and the chassis too.

I'd reccommend you find these earth points, make sure they are tight and give them a gob of protective grease.

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:41 PM
Reaction score
The starter motor only has 1 cable connection (+) the negative (-) is the body of the starter which is bolted to the engine/flywheel cover.
Somewhere there will be an earth strap/cable that will connect the engine and gearbox to the chassis which in turn is connected to the Neg side of the battery.
Connecting the negative/earth to the engine is a good thing.

This is a common failure in old cars where this connection becomes corroded or loose and charging/starting problems occur.
In some vehicles electrical gremlins are caused by earth connections between the body/seatbox and the chassis too.

I'd reccommend you find these earth points, make sure they are tight and give them a gob of protective grease.
Does anybody know how many (are there more than one?) and where the earthing straps are?

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:41 AM
Reaction score
Anyone know where the -ve terminal/earth terminal is under the bonnet to allow charging of the battery. The +ve terminal is obvious (red with brass connection point) but where does the “black” battery charging cable go to?
The second terminal is under the engine cover on the diesel variant... dealer showed me but they also just use any large metal component in the bonnet to put the earth to, to save pulling the cover off (works fine for running my air compressor for tyres)

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The second terminal is under the engine cover on the diesel variant... dealer showed me but they also just use any large metal component in the bonnet to put the earth to, to save pulling the cover off (works fine for running my air compressor for tyres)
Exactly as I do , just connect to the engine lifting eye adjacent to the live jump start post.

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:41 PM
Reaction score
Does anybody know how many (are there more than one?) and where the earthing straps are?
The one and only connecting engine/transmission assy and chassis runs from the transfer case to the frame, see this post or the related ones. There can't be more, 'cause on my very first ride with the Gren it failed and left me stranded...

I think it would be good to have more redundancy, i.e. additional large cross section ground braids at other suitable points.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The engine lifting eye on the petrol engine is adjacent to rhe positive jump start terminal so one of the best earth terminals for jump starting. That’s the one I use but each to their own

Last edited:

Deepblue

#00274 - Swiss Vehicle (SD1-1/63)
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi @douggie have the diesel as well and have found that many metal components are not connected to negative battery pole. Clumsy me 🙂. Could you please share some details / picture which metal spot you use.
Since last software update my battery is low very often. Seems to be a new bug. Need to speak to the dealer.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi @douggie have the diesel as well and have found that many metal components are not connected to negative battery pole. Clumsy me 🙂. Could you please share some details / picture which metal spot you use.
Since last software update my battery is low very often. Seems to be a new bug. Need to speak to the dealer.
I just used a bare metal bolt close to the positive terminal as found under the bonnet (hood). Charged up fine via my Optimate 7 Select 10 amp charger.
For a longer term solution, bearing in mind I sometimes leave my vehicle for several weeks at a time, I have today, made up a charging cable as mentioned by DCPU. Using a 13 pin plug for the towing electrics I wired into the positive and negative terminals within the plug using an SAE cable.

Attachments

• IMG_0420.jpeg
    IMG_0420.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13

Deepblue

#00274 - Swiss Vehicle (SD1-1/63)
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I just used a bare metal bolt close to the positive terminal as found under the bonnet (hood). Charged up fine via my Optimate 7 Select 10 amp charger.
For a longer term solution, bearing in mind I sometimes leave my vehicle for several weeks at a time, I have today, made up a charging cable as mentioned by DCPU. Using a 13 pin plug for the towing electrics I wired into the positive and negative terminals within the plug using an SAE cable.
Many thanks for sharing @Cheshire cat that is a great idea I add to my list of improvements for the grenadier.

Back
Top Bottom