The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Charging battery

WhiteBear

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:16 PM
Reaction score
I would like to permanently install a charger under the rear seat, there seems to be enough space. I have ordered the dual battery. The charger should be connected to the ctek smartpass to charge both batteries hopefully.

The car sometimes stays at the garage 2-3 weeks. My Defender does not like that so I always connect the charger when the car comes into the garage.
What do you think, will it work that way With the Grenadier?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:16 PM
Reaction score
is there any reason the terminals under the bonnet couldn’t be used for charging with a smart charger. Surely if they are there for jump lead connection they should work for other charging methods. Just a guess as I don’t really know what that positive post under the bonnet is designed for other than jump starting.
No in theory, although I don't know what clever electronics Ineos have in any circuits that might prevent it. It would be nice to have a diagram.

I charge my D4 through the tow ball electrics via a Ctek charger
Do this with my Defender and it seems the best/easiest way. Will swap it over to the Grenadier; hopefully the CTEK is clever enough to show any faults or issues with doing it this way.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks all for your comments/advice. Has anybody successfully completed a charge cycle ie the charger unit going from a couple of lights to the full panoply to indicate all charged and now at maintenance level?

My CTEK charger (a basic model) is connected and has got to 3 lights but seems to have stalled at that for the last few hours. I will keep it on overnight and see what happens/changes but am beginning to doubt that my charging attempt is working as I had hoped
Exactly which model have you got?

Reactions: PBD

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I would like to permanently install a charger under the rear seat, there seems to be enough space. I have ordered the dual battery. The charger should be connected to the ctek smartpass to charge both batteries hopefully.

The car sometimes stays at the garage 2-3 weeks. My Defender does not like that so I always connect the charger when the car comes into the garage.
What do you think, will it work that way With the Grenadier?
Does that mean passing a mains voltage cable somehow outside the vehicle?

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I did a full maintenance charge on my batteries yesterday using a Victron blue smart 10A smart charger, the one thing I didn’t check though was whether this charged both the starter and auxiliary batteries. I just laid the power lead over the top of the rubber seal that seals the bonnet. I thought the bonnet had shut properly as seemed firm but could not lock the doors and leave it on charge. That bonnet seal must be a real tight fit as I couldn’t get it to slam shut enough with the cable there to enable me to lock the doors. Eventually I laid the lead to come in under the bonnet next to the windscreen and central locking worked fine. IMG_1646.jpeg

Last edited:

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Here are a lot of opinions what’s the best method of charging, to find out the right answer, I wrote an Email to Moll batteries. Here the Answer:

Bei der EFB-Technologie handelt es sich um eine Nass-Batterie, deshalb auch in diesem Modus laden. Generell gilt es, für das externe Laden der Blei-Säure-Batterien einen Ladestrom von mind. 10 % zu verwenden, da zu niedrige Ladeströme die Ladezeit verlängern und die Zyklenlebensdauer der Batterie reduzieren.

The EFB technology is a wet battery, therefore also charge in this mode. In general, a charging current of at least 10 % should be used for external charging of lead-acid batteries, as charging currents that are too low extend the charging time and reduce the cycle life of the battery.

For me means my CTEK MXS 5.0 is not strong enough and a MXS 10.0 is needed.

marko

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Here are a lot of opinions what’s the best method of charging, to find out the right answer, I wrote an Email to Moll batteries. Here the Answer:

Bei der EFB-Technologie handelt es sich um eine Nass-Batterie, deshalb auch in diesem Modus laden. Generell gilt es, für das externe Laden der Blei-Säure-Batterien einen Ladestrom von mind. 10 % zu verwenden, da zu niedrige Ladeströme die Ladezeit verlängern und die Zyklenlebensdauer der Batterie reduzieren.

The EFB technology is a wet battery, therefore also charge in this mode. In general, a charging current of at least 10 % should be used for external charging of lead-acid batteries, as charging currents that are too low extend the charging time and reduce the cycle life of the battery.

Thanks for following up with Moll. I use the same charger as you so I guess I’ll be looking at an upgrade too.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Also de-bunks the raison detra of all smart trickle chargers that charge at very small currents. So it is the comments and wisdom of smart trickle charger manufactures vs the comments and wisdom of Moll batteries

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Also de-bunks the raison detra of all smart trickle chargers that charge at very small currents. So it is the comments and wisdom of smart trickle charger manufactures vs the comments and wisdom of Moll batteries

You’re right, but I think the producer know what is the best for the product….

Greasemonkey

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You’re right, but I think the producer know what is the best for the product….
The question is did Moll say : Charge with 10 % or charge with max 10 % to the capacity to the battery.

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
They say what I posted… I think they mean 10% of the capacity, and that is why I will jump to Victron 15A….

21DFND

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:16 PM
Reaction score
When I picked up my Grenadier the agent told me if I needed to do jump start, to remove the plastic engine cover and connect the earth jumper cable to the lifting hook on the front of the motor. Seem a bit odd?

• Haha

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
When I picked up my Grenadier the agent told me if I needed to do jump start, to remove the plastic engine cover and connect the earth jumper cable to the lifting hook on the front of the motor. Seem a bit odd?
That’s fine it’s a good earth connection also suitable for maintenance charge of batteries IMG_1645.jpeg

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Solid sturdy point that is unlikely to have any corrosion thus making a good contact.

Back
Top Bottom