The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Charging battery

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:55 PM
Reaction score
Anyone know where the -ve terminal/earth terminal is under the bonnet to allow charging of the battery. The +ve terminal is obvious (red with brass connection point) but where does the “black” battery charging cable go to?

Deepblue

#00274 - Swiss Vehicle (SD1-1/63)
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:55 PM
Reaction score
Hi, you can use any blank metal to connect second cable. I’ve connected mine today and use the srew right next to the red connection point.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:55 PM
Reaction score
So nobody's found the negative terminal referenced on page 123 of the Owner's Manual?

"The battery is located under the rear bench seat of the vehicle, due to this, there are positive
and negative terminals accessible in the engine bay."

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Do not use the negative terminal! Batteries generate hydrogen as the charge and a spark as

The battery is located under the rear bench seat of the vehicle, due to this...

Reactions: PBD
Local time
Reaction score
Do not use the negative terminal! Batteries generate hydrogen as the charge and a spark as the batter is disconnected. A very good friend was almost blinded by a battery charger when unhooking the clamp on the battery negative post. If you cannot find a ground connection point near the battery unplug you charger from the mains, connect clamps to the battery, then reconnect the charger to the mains. Before removing thre battery clamp, unplug the charger. Sorry for the long explanation but my friend was a very good farm mechanic and inexperienced about batter charging

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you. I did look in the owner’s manual but unhelpfully it had no pictures but I think I came away with the guidance to use the connections under the bonnet (not those under seat).

The +ve connection was self-evident and I recall when I asked the supplying dealer (when I collected the car) where the -ve was he pointed to something towards the front of the engine bay and under the bonnet. I recall the place was a metal part and thought I saw it had a “-“ stamped on it but for the life of me I cannot see it now

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:55 AM
Reaction score
Thank you. I did look in the owner’s manual but unhelpfully it had no pictures but I think I came away with the guidance to use the connections under the bonnet (not those under seat).

The +ve connection was self-evident and I recall when I asked the supplying dealer (when I collected the car) where the -ve was he pointed to something towards the front of the engine bay and under the bonnet. I recall the place was a metal part and thought I saw it had a “-“ stamped on it but for the life of me I cannot see it now
Agent probably didn't know and just pointed in general.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Do not use the negative terminal! Batteries generate hydrogen as the charge and a spark as the batter is disconnected. A very good friend was almost blinded by a battery charger when unhooking the clamp on the battery negative post. If you cannot find a ground connection point near the battery unplug you charger from the mains, connect clamps to the battery, then reconnect the charger to the mains. Before removing thre battery clamp, unplug the charger. Sorry for the long explanation but my friend was a very good farm mechanic and inexperienced about batter charging
Good advice but not relevant to the discussion here ~ the terminals we are discussing are remote from the battery. 👍

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Good advice but not relevant to the discussion here ~ the terminals we are discussing are remote from the battery. 👍
is there any reason the terminals under the bonnet couldn’t be used for charging with a smart charger. Surely if they are there for jump lead connection they should work for other charging methods. Just a guess as I don’t really know what that positive post under the bonnet is designed for other than jump starting.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
is there any reason the terminals under the bonnet couldn’t be used for charging with a smart charger. Surely if they are there for jump lead connection they should work for other charging methods. Just a guess as I don’t really know what that positive post under the bonnet is designed for other than jump starting.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't. I charge my D4 through the tow ball electrics via a Ctek charger and the Audi and RR under the bonnet via positive/negative posts as batteries are in boot.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Exactly and portable solar panels such as the suitcase type that have their own built in mppt controller can be plugged into any suitable point to charge the batterries such as a permanently live charger socket or in the Grenadier case one of the external sockets as long as that circuit is switched on

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks all for your comments/advice. Has anybody successfully completed a charge cycle ie the charger unit going from a couple of lights to the full panoply to indicate all charged and now at maintenance level?

My CTEK charger (a basic model) is connected and has got to 3 lights but seems to have stalled at that for the last few hours. I will keep it on overnight and see what happens/changes but am beginning to doubt that my charging attempt is working as I had hoped

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks all for your comments/advice. Has anybody successfully completed a charge cycle ie the charger unit going from a couple of lights to the full panoply to indicate all charged and now at maintenance level?

My CTEK charger (a basic model) is connected and has got to 3 lights but seems to have stalled at that for the last few hours. I will keep it on overnight and see what happens/changes but am beginning to doubt that my charging attempt is working as I had hoped
We use Ctek chargers on lots of kit and if you only have a small low amperage one then it will take many hours to get to a float charge especially as the Grenadier batteries are big 👍🏼 just leave on overnight it can’t do any harm 👍🏼

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You can connect your Battery charge maintenance device (e.g. Ctek) to the positive terminal in the engine compartment. The ground terminal to any bare screw head.

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Charging attempt has a happy ending (ie battery now looks fully charged per battery charger and no-one has been injured/nothing has been damaged), thanks for your comments

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:55 AM
Reaction score
It can take ages to get a full charge with a smart charger. I often leave mine all night all day (classic cars)
One analogy used with EV charging is that it's like people filling up a theatre.
Initially it's quick , then the latecomers enter and have to slowly push past people already seated to find their own place, Don't you just hate getting those fat arses in your face?
I'm sure there's a geeky explanation as well, but analogies work well for most normal folk!

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:55 PM
Reaction score
i use different versions of c-tek chargers, also as a conditioner and as a trickle charge. they still have every battery fully charged overnight, even if it is deeply discharged.

Back
Top Bottom