The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Bull/Roo Bars unsafe?

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:12 AM
Reaction score
I guess to get away from the EUR plastic tea tray of a bumper?..... ;)
In Europe Bullbars are strictly forbidden on any new vehicle registered for on road use. This means . the bar must be removed when entering a public road. That is regulation. No more to comment.
However in the last couple of days offroad I learned to like the big bumper as it redirects a lot of mud spray elsewhere . keeping the front lights nice n clean. So some people might find it ugly - but there are advantages also.

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:12 AM
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
The legal situation in the UK is slightly more muddled. You cannot offer for retail sale any bull bar without formal regulatory approval, they can be fitted as they are not banned, you just cannot buy them legitimately. You can fit a winch bumper, as the use case overrides the conformity requirement, (most ARBs for sale in the UK are winch bumpers), but I would not be willing to try this on with the Grenadier as there is a perfectly workable winch solution without a fancy winch bumper. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/bull-bars/bull-bars

Most police officers do not have the detailed knowledge to separate a legal bar solution from a dubious one, but if you have a fatal road traffic incident, the experts will come out of the cracks to see if your vehicle is up to snuff. At its worst, you could find yourself uninsured, staring personal bankruptcy and a prison sentence in the face.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Are the IG bars offered In Australia powder coated (i.e. not nylon coated as LR did)?

I will certainly find a bullbar for my NA spec Gren. I’ll wait to see what hits the USA market before ordering from Australia. Since we can, I will certainly go for one as strong as possible. Our roo’s (white tail deer) average 150lbs for a male.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:12 PM
Reaction score
Are the IG bars offered In Australia powder coated (i.e. not nylon coated as LR did)?

I will certainly find a bullbar for my NA spec Gren. I’ll wait to see what hits the USA market before ordering from Australia. Since we can, I will certainly go for one as strong as possible. Our roo’s (white tail deer) average 150lbs for a male.
Not exactly sure of the coating, pretty sure not nylon. Looks powder coated, may be painted

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Our big red and Eastern grey kangaroos can get up to 200lbs

Drausch1976

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Will be getting a Zombie Bar for the zombie apocalypse. Really good for mowing down the zombies. Now the question is how do we get one said Zombie Bar here is the states?

Reactions: Max

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Powder-coated, correct.

Local time
6:12 AM
Reaction score
Maybe not to BHP, whose fleet is a TMCA shop and has been for many years - Ineos will never rival Hilux economics.
BHP policy permits non-ANCAP rated light vehicle operation, it just requires a risk assessment be conducted.

One reason BMA BHP and other mining companies started to allow non ANCAP vehicle is due to many of the work utes that have GVM upgrades to accommodate ROPS and tools and meet multiple other site requirements did not meet the BHP BMA compliance and could not be used on their sites. ANCAP testing does not accommodate bull bars, GVM/GVWR upgrades and specific service bodies in their testing. Vehicle compliance, at least in QLD, for mining companies is a pain in the arse as none of the sites or different sites within some companies want to totally standardise the requirements across the industry. Contractors have to spend considerable time and money to have each vehicle and trailer assessed and brake tested every year to meet compliance for each site they work on.

Local time
Reaction score
How long before some one in Australia fits a five post Roo Annihilator to their Grenadier?Excessive BBar.jpgRam Bbar.jpgBBar 2.jpg
The Commodore ute and Rams bull bars would now be illegal in most Australian states because the outer posts are not curved like the one on the Land Cruiser.

Last edited:

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:12 PM
Reaction score
Local time
Reaction score
Our big red and Eastern grey kangaroos can get up to 200lbs
Sorry off-topic.

Alces alces (I'm not going to use the English name to avoid the name discussion) is the largest hazard in Finland and Scandinavia. Adults are 200-700 kg (450-1500 lbs) and the center of gravity is high so there is no bull bar that could fully protect from these.

Alces_Alces.jpg

Alces_Alces_2.jpg

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:12 PM
Reaction score
the center of gravity is high so there is no bull bar that could fully protect from these.
Yep. Bullbars may deflect the legs but that half-ton+ body just keeps on coming, straight at you.
From a collision POV, a moose is a half-ton barrel of meat hovering 4 feet above the ground.

ma5.jpg

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:12 PM
Reaction score
Yep. Bullbars may deflect the legs but that half-ton+ body just keeps on coming, straight at you.
From a collision POV, a moose is a half-ton barrel of meat hovering 4 feet above the ground.

View attachment 7832981
We get something similar up north, 500kg cattle. Not much left @ 120klms/h

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231118_152206_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231118_152206_Chrome.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 27
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7832981
Seen a few Skippys and Emus go through the windscreen of 4x4s and a bull through the front of a bus over the years but Bullwinkle is a whole different level of carnage.

Back
Top Bottom