The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Bull/Roo Bars unsafe?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:04 PM
Reaction score
And a mates 2-month trip ended on day 5 haha! Wasn't really funny for them though...
I wonder how many trips of a lifetime have been cut short?
Let alone "early on" trailer/caravan incidents.
Think and prepare for worst case scenario.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:04 AM
Reaction score
I had a big bike trip planned one time, we all kicked off one early morning, then I decided to lose the entire bike in a corner not even 3 hours in as my rear brake calipers decided to 'clamp and hold', which put me back home while the others continued on 'our' planned 21 day adventure. Wasn't so fun sitting at home looking at the pile of spare parts I just inherited, let alone the sheer loss of $$$. Not a roo incident but I won't take my chances with the Gren!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Not a happy ending at all.
One way to ruin any trip with your wife/husband or dare I use the term these days , partner - is to break down anywhere.
Even worse is not knowing what to do.
Be prepared!
Pack duct tape and a clothes hanger!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My daughter is the National Warranty Manager for an Australian caravan manufacturer
I can't believe some of the calls and emails she gets.
Running over live and already dead kangaroos and damaging van suspension/wheels is a regular
Not sure how anyone would think that would be covered by warranty.
Driving with jockey wheel down is another
Front window of van smashed by rock thrown up from towing vehicle. Why did they make the window from glass that breaks easily?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not a happy ending at all.
One way to ruin any trip with your wife/husband or dare I use the term these days , partner - is to break down anywhere.
Even worse is not knowing what to do.
Be prepared!
Pack duct tape and a clothes hanger!
I have just driven up to my holiday (soon to be permanent) home and stopped at the servo to fill up.
Man and woman from the 4wd next to me came out with coffees, climbed in the 4wd and drove away.
5 minutes later they were back
Teenager walked out of the McDonalds next door and climbed in the back seat.
I assume he left the vehicle after they did and they didn't notice him missing when they returned.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The Roo Bar on the Grenadier has a diameter of 50mm for anyone looking to mount a UHF aerial or sand flag on the bar. Just confirmed by INEOS Australia.

Under the laws of New South Wales (and other states) all the sharp bits on the bracket should face away from the front towards the windscreen, to minimise the possibility of injuries to pedestrians. I have seen some brackets on sale where this is not possible, as they have sharp bits on both sides of the bracket.

GME, Midland and other UHF makers do market a 50mm bracket to mount the device on the bar. Some brackets just use a straight forward hole to put the aerial through the bracket, others use a slotted design. So look around before making your choice.

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which The Grenadier Forum may be compensated.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The Roo Bar on the Grenadier has a diameter of 50mm for anyone looking to mount a UHF aerial or sand flag on the bar. Just confirmed by INEOS Australia.

Under the laws of New South Wales (and other states) all the sharp bits on the bracket should face away from the front towards the windscreen, to minimise the possibility of injuries to pedestrians. I have seen some brackets on sale where this is not possible, as they have sharp bits on both sides of the bracket.

GME and other UHF makers do market a 50mm bracket to mount the device on the bar. Some brackets just use a straight forward hole to put the aerial through the bracket, others use a slotted design. So look around before making your choice.
Thanks, I was waiting to measure this. The next question is with these brackets is whether there is enough room between the bar and the bodywork for these brackets

This site contains affiliate links for which The Grenadier Forum may be compensated.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A good question. There is not much space. I think they will but it will be close. You must also check the bonnet will open with the bracket attached.

EDIT: he bracket and the Fold down mounting bracket will not interfere with the bonnet because it is set back, the issue is with the bonnet sorriund and after looking at a video I think the brackets will fit, but the real test is a real life fitment.

If you are going to add a Fold-Down Antenna Mounting Bracket you need to make sure that works as well.

I am also looking at mounting it on the roof rack as a backup. You should get better UHF performance here as well. I would use the Rhino Rack bracket for that, if short on space I would side mount it using a Razed bracket.

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:04 PM
Reaction score
I have just driven up to my holiday (soon to be permanent) home and stopped at the servo to fill up.
Man and woman from the 4wd next to me came out with coffees, climbed in the 4wd and drove away.
5 minutes later they were back
Teenager walked out of the McDonalds next door and climbed in the back seat.
I assume he left the vehicle after they did and they didn't notice him missing when they returned.
This happened to me when I was 6 or 7yo. Family vacation with 5 or 6 kids in the back of the truck (back when you could ride in the truck bed). We stopped at a store and off everyone went without me. My parents thought I was in the back, my sister and step siblings thinking I was in the front. An hour later they came back for me.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This happened to me when I was 6 or 7yo. Family vacation with 5 or 6 kids in the back of the truck (back when you could ride in the truck bed). We stopped at a store and off everyone went without me. My parents thought I was in the back, my sister and step siblings thinking I was in the front. An hour later they came back for me.
My father in law drove my mother in law to the supermarket, and waited in the car outside till she came back out with the groceries, as he has done for 60 years.
As his mind was slipping he was sitting there and couldn't remember why.
So he drove home and had a nap.
She came out with the shopping and wandered around for an hour because she couldn't remember where he was parked.
The police took her home.

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:04 PM
Reaction score
What sort of market is this for really??
Pay us for a new bumper, and never take it on the road again!!!!

It's not my cup of tea but here in Canada (and USA, I'm sure) folks drive stuff like that, technically illegal, without incident. e.g. tires that poke beyond fenders, aftermarket bumpers that are not as wide as full tire track, etc. So I reckon there will be a genuine market for Grenadier "off road bumpers" here.

("Off road only" has always seemed like legal ass-covering for the seller or shop that installs it. "Off road exhaust" is another example. Louder, but seen and heard everywhere. 🤷‍♂️)

Attachments

• offroadlol.jpg
    offroadlol.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 12

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It's not my cup of tea but here in Canada (and USA, I'm sure) folks drive stuff like that, technically illegal, without incident. e.g. tires that poke beyond fenders, aftermarket bumpers that are not as wide as full tire track, etc. So I reckon there will be a genuine market for Grenadier "off road bumpers" here.

("Off road only" has always seemed like legal ass-covering for the seller or shop that installs it. "Off road exhaust" is another example. Louder, but seen and heard everywhere. 🤷‍♂️)
It will still spend every other month broken down no matter how many body parts are changed ;)

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting video on the detrimental aspects of bull/roo bars here:

Given that the Grenny bullbar is a three piece design (at least here in Australia, as mentioned by Justin Hocevar in this vid -
) and not a single piece unit like an ARB for eg, I'm wondering if they crash tested the Grenny with the bull bars in-situ. Were they crash tested with bullbars at all? Is the three piece design a result of said crash testing?

Here is the link to the BHP test of bullbars: https://spaces.hightail.com/receive/EgT3jbKlzU

I haven't seen every Ineos video of the worldwide testing, but from those I've seen, none are sporting a bullbar, not even the ones tested in Australia or Africa.

Food for thought and over to all you beard strokers in the forum! ;)
Brilliant video - thanks for sharing. Explains why Bull Bars are not for sale in the UK!

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:04 PM
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
As BHP is a big buyer of 4x4s in Australia, I guess that Ineos Automotive is not intending to sell them vehicles as they do not have a NCAP rating.

Attachments

• Light Vehicles safety built in not bolted on - David Jenkins (BHP Billiton)-2.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom