The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Bull bar

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:10 PM
Reaction score
I am getting the front tow hitch for moving trailers/caravans/boats around mainly
Dave is it easier pushing pulling boats/trailers in frontwise?
I've only ever backed them in.
I started with a manual trans HR Holden aged 17 in 1980 , with a tiny sports steering wheel (of course no P/S) , backing a boat down a ramp
Everything was easier after that car!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Dave is it easier pushing pulling boats/trailers in frontwise?
I've only ever backed them in.
I started with a manual trans HR Holden aged 17 in 1980 , with a tiny sports steering wheel (of course no P/S) , backing a boat down a ramp
Everything was easier after that car!
My brother had a HR wagon with three on the tree
Most caravan and boat sales places use a tractor or vehicle with the tow hitch mounted on the front.
Much more control in tight spaces.
Someone else on here commented it is the best for launching a boat off a beach or a creek bank.
I figured for the $620 it was a good investment up front

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
What’s the IG sales rate expected in Oz over the first two years? I know these guys are “working” with 3rd party suppliers, but anything bespoke like bullbars wtc is likely to need a certain level of volume to justify the r&d and tool time. I’d be surprised if we saw anything like that for a far while I think. But then I could be surprised.
You are probably right.
Gives us something to look forward to.
But what if you are wrong??
Or partly right

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
My brother had a HR wagon with three on the tree
Mine had 3 on the floor and a high comp 202 engine. Cost me $850. I went up to this guy's house to pay him cash. He said "come up" (the stairs)
Went into his bedroom where he and a lady friend were naked and smeared with what I later learned was butter, (It was summer btw)
Heard he went out and bought $850 worth of hash.
I sold the car with a rooted engine 7 years later for $1000 :)
Bought a Landcrusier...

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine had 3 on the floor and a high comp 202 engine. Cost me $850. I went up to this guy's house to pay him cash. He said "come up" (the stairs)
Went into his bedroom where he and a lady friend were naked and smeared with what I later learned was butter, (It was summer btw)
Heard he went out and bought $850 worth of hash.
I sold the car with a rooted engine 7 years later for $1000 :)
Bought a Landcrusier...
Later learned was butter???
When you tried to wash it off?

Last edited:

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You are probably right.
Gives us something to look forward to.
But what if you are wrong??
Or partly right
Won't matter I'll have a EOM bullbar on it. The style matches the square front well I think. And it looks solid enough that it'll stop skippys but not bulls. I've hit my fair share of skips but luckily managed to pull up in time for the bulls.

And if something better comes along, I'll make that call then. ;)

Interesting thing is also the steel bumper - still not sure how they got away with the ADR on that.

One of the good things about this rig is you can pretty much buy it fully loaded off the shelf and the mark up for accessories isn't ridiculous. No wait at ARB for them to have stock available, if I'm lucky I can just swap the 31' BFG's for 33's with nominal change over somewhere rather than having to get rid of rubbish tyres and pay full freight for replacements, just pick it up from the dealers, pack the fridge up, and hit the outback.

I do like that.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a bit off topic.. but if form and function are important then there's the so-called "cage fighter" approach for a bull/roo/camel/ wild horse/feral pig/bar from the 1968 London-Sydney marathon Porsche Fortunately the design wasn't put to the "real world" test! I've always hankered after one of these fully kitted vehicles...prob. showing my age.. :cool: Screenshot_20221130_194258_Samsung Internet.jpg

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a bit off topic.. but if form and function are important then there's the so-called "cage fighter" approach for a bull/roo/camel/ wild horse/feral pig/bar from the 1968 London-Sydney marathon Porsche Fortunately the design wasn't put to the "real world" test! I've always hankered after one of these fully kitted vehicles...prob. showing my age.. :cool:
That's a good way to make the 911 handle better ;)
The winning car was only expecting stray dogs. A student in my uni year in the early 80s had such a Hillman , he "acquired" the side of a hospital bed and bolted it on the front.

Attachments

• hillman.jpg
    hillman.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 40

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That's a good way to make the 911 handle better ;)
The winning car was only expecting stray dogs. A student in my uni year in the early 80s had such a Hillman , he "acquired" the side of a hospital bed and bolted it on the front.
Yeah, can you imagine - between the flat 6 (?) behind the rear axle, that bar work up front and radials all round it‘d tighten the sphincter regularly.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah, can you imagine - between the flat 6 (?) behind the rear axle, that bar work up front and radials all round it‘d tighten the sphincter regularly.
Any weight up front is good on an old 911! In the very early ones (60s) they installed heavy iron blocks at either front corner to reduce the hammer effect.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Any weight up front is good on an old 911! In the very early ones (60s) they installed heavy iron blocks at either front corner to reduce the hammer effect.
The 911 was introduced in September 1964 with a larger (and heavier) 6 cylinder engine. It had a front/rear weight distribution of 45/55.

Following customer feedback, from August 1965, a very unsophisticated solution was introduced whereby 2 cast iron weights (11kg each) were simply glued into the front bumper (left & right sides) to improve the cars' handling, especially when cornering. The distribution then became 47/53.

The 1969 model lengthened the 911's wheelbase by 2.3 inches and need for weights disappeared and, in addition the tyres were widened & the battery was split into two smaller ones at the front left & right.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The 911 was introduced in September 1964 with a larger (and heavier) 6 cylinder engine. It had a front/rear weight distribution of 45/55.

Following customer feedback, from August 1965, a very unsophisticated solution was introduced whereby 2 cast iron weights (11kg each) were simply glued into the front bumper (left & right sides) to improve the cars' handling, especially when cornering. The distribution then became 47/53.

The 1969 model lengthened the 911's wheelbase by 2.3 inches and need for weights disappeared and, in addition the tyres were widened & the battery was split into two smaller ones at the front left & right.
I tend to keep a fullish fuel tank when driving in a spirited fashion :D I've lost it a few times on track but not yet on the open road.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I tend to keep a fullish fuel tank when driving in a spirited fashion :D I've lost it a few times on track but not yet on the open road.
same + I used to keep a 10kg bag of sand in the boot and don't lift off the gas through the corner!

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:10 AM
Reaction score
I added the roo bar after the recent test drive event. The bar in person looks quite good imo. If you go ARB or another AMA supplier, you will be up at $5K fitted if you are lucky. I would get the roo bar and then swap to aftermarket, can always sell the roo bar there will be a market for it.

Attachments

• 20221216_132038.jpg
    20221216_132038.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 31

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I added the roo bar after the recent test drive event. The bar in person looks quite good imo. If you go ARB or another AMA supplier, you will be up at $5K fitted if you are lucky. I would get the roo bar and then swap to aftermarket, can always sell the roo bar there will be a market for it.
I will be keeping it
It works with the
  • airbags
  • Parking sensors
  • bumper bar
  • Oil coolers mounted right behind the bumper
  • Indicators
Anything you replace it with will replace the bumper

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:10 AM
Reaction score
I will be willing to bet that there will be plenty of other aftermarket companies making bolt on bars. Ineos seemed to do a pretty good job making it modular and companies will take advantage of it the same as Ineos.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:10 AM
Reaction score
I think the factory one looks fantastic but I doubt we can get them here. Looking at the photos from the EP video, the bumper appears to be the plastic one, not Oz-spec metal.

Back
Top Bottom