The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Bridgestone All-Terrain Tire vs BFGoodrich All-Terrain KO2 Tire.....save 1k on the build?

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:44 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone used the K02's before - are they very noisy on road? My TrialMaster will see more road than off road (as I suspect most will) concerned that the K02's would be noisy to drive on the highway. Thoughts?

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:44 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone used the K02's before - are they very noisy on road? My TrialMaster will see more road than off road (as I suspect most will) concerned that the K02's would be noisy to drive on the highway. Thoughts?
I haven’t had them, by all reports they are not bad as far as AT tyres go, but all AT will be somewhat noisier than road tyres. Problem is that if you intend to do any off-road Highway tyres are all but useless in anything but sand.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:44 PM
Reaction score
They aren't the quietest tire in the world but also are not the loudest AT... and as with pretty much every all terrain tire will get noisier with age (they'll reach peak tire noise around 40k miles)

I put about 15-20k on a set on my Tundra before selling them and their sound level was still about the same as at 5-7k miles; we have a set (actually the exact tire, size and load rating, as on the Grenadier) on our Sprinter with about 38k miles and they haven't gotten too much louder than when they were new, certainly no loud mud terrain hum or anything like that.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you are going to be driving mainly on sealed roads with the occasional offroad, the Bridgestone A/T "dueler" is more than adequate. In fact for higher cruising speeds and wet weather, it's probably better than the KO2. I travelled to Cape York and other off road places with them and they were trouble free. On concrete and bitumen sealed roads their noise was similar to highway tyres.... The Bridgestones did give a noticeably harder ride however when they had worn down close to minimum legal tread depth (a bit over 3mm or 1/8" ) after 70 thousand km. I expect this is the same with most A/T tyres. If I were not so "determined" ;) to visit a couple of out of the way places later this year (🤞) where the KO2s will probably earn their keep, I would have opted for the Bridgestone setup.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you are going to be driving mainly on sealed roads with the occasional offroad, the Bridgestone A/T "dueler" is more than adequate. In fact for higher cruising speeds and wet weather, it's probably better than the KO2. I travelled to Cape York and other off road places with them and they were trouble free. On concrete and bitumen sealed roads their noise was similar to highway tyres.... The Bridgestones did give a noticeably harder ride however when they had worn down close to minimum legal tread depth (a bit over 3mm or 1/8" ) after 70 thousand km. I expect this is the same with most A/T tyres. If I were not so "determined" ;) to visit a couple of out of the way places later this year (🤞) where the KO2s will probably earn their keep, I would have opted for the Bridgestone setup.
I will need to contact Ineos direct. On the configuration system - you cannot select the other tyres if you select the Trialmaster. The only way to get the other tires is to choose the Fieldmaster which I do not want.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I will need to contact Ineos direct. On the configuration system - you cannot select the other tyres if you select the Trialmaster. The only way to get the other tires is to choose the Fieldmaster which I do not want.
It wouldn't surprise me if that is the only option, as the Trialmaster is specifically shifted towards the off road aspect

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me if that is the only option, as the Trialmaster is specifically shifted towards the off road aspect
This is why I built the Station Wagon - exactly the way I wanted, zero limits/restrictions and every option available.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There are several versions of the Bridgestone Duelers, some more highway oriented and some more AT. I have had several sets of Dueler 697s and they are very capable AT tyres but some of the more highways oriented versions not too good offroad.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hasn’t it been said that the IG tires are bespoke to the Grenadier.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Correct, the Bridgestone's used on the Grenadier are a unique and specific tread pattern (not sure about tire compound itself)

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, and in my opinion a good reason not to get them, will be impossible to find a replacement outside a big city if you damage one.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, and in my opinion a good reason not to get them, will be impossible to find a replacement outside a big city if you damage one.
Except, the BFG AT brings nothing to the table and costs more. It’s actually a poor traction tire for East Coast (USA) driving. I’ll give you that the BFG may be tougher, but only since the Bridgestone at this moment is an unknown. So for me, I’m much better off with the stock tire for run-in and learning the new vehicle before getting a purpose specific replacement.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It’s actually a poor traction tire for East Coast (USA) driving.
It's good in dry, good in wet, amazing in snow, and great for a wide variety of east coast off road terrain (other than SE clay)... I'm not sure how it is a "poor traction tire" for the East coast???

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Except, the BFG AT brings nothing to the table and costs more. It’s actually a poor traction tire for East Coast (USA) driving. I’ll give you that the BFG may be tougher, but only since the Bridgestone at this moment is an unknown. So for me, I’m much better off with the stock tire for run-in and learning the new vehicle before getting a purpose specific replacement.
Don’t agree that it brings nothing to the table, the KO2 will most definitely perform better off road and in low traction environments than the road oriented Bridgestone being offered. I agree it costs a bit more but I will run on on the KO2s, I probably won’t replace with KO2s but definitely will be a proper AT not a road tyre.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ok, “not bring anything to the table” = for me!

They certainly check all the boxes on paper, but call drastically short off-road. Voids are too small and not enough siping for my taste and needs. And yes, they even clog with Mid-Atlantic mud. Numerous tires are an available with the larger outer row blocks + slightly larger voids and more siping. So if I know the tire will not perform it is throwing money away.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It’s been a long time since I had BFG’s on a 4wd but I don’t remember them being a bad tyre by any means, just not as agressive as I’ve been buying in the past 20 years. I recall them being a little difficult to get balanced properly but nowhere near as bd as Coopers were.
I’m more than happy to run them and ultimately replace them with a Nitto Ridge Grappler or Toyo R/T in due course.
If my IG’s principal duties were as a tow vehicle on the black top or dirt roads without any decent offroading, then the Bridgesone would be the smarter choice. Too many people recommend offroad tyres to people who don’t need them just because they look the part. Then all they do is cost more money, make more noise and use more fuel for appearances sake.

Last edited:

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Too many people recommend offroad tyres to people who don’t need them just because they look the part. Then all they do is cost more money, make more noise and use more fuel for appearances sake.
I’m not a fan of BFG AT’s and I feel this is the sole reason they are even offered. Much better tire options exist for off-pavement use, and that is exactly what I’ll be selecting after putting the IG through its paces on Bridgestones.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I went on live chat with Ineos - if you order a Trial Master the K02 tire is the only option. They will not let you downgrade on the tires without losing the Rough Pack option (locking diffs) so I'll buy a set of after market steelies and put the K02's on there and a more all around set on the alloys.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I went on live chat with Ineos - if you order a Trial Master the K02 tire is the only option. They will not let you downgrade on the tires without losing the Rough Pack option (locking diffs) so I'll buy a set of after market steelies and put the K02's on there and a more all around set on the alloys.
You’re in Cali - where there could be more potential buyers given the number of anticipated dealers - you might be able to find a Fieldmaster owner looking to swap tires.

Back
Top Bottom