The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Bridgestone All-Terrain Tire vs BFGoodrich All-Terrain KO2 Tire.....save 1k on the build?

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:44 AM
Reaction score
The Bridgstones are useless for it's main purpose.
Serious appeal at the coffee shop down at the mall.
BFG's for me.
When talking AT's, in my area I've found the opposite - they fill up, do not self clean, and become slicks. I much prefer something less than an MT, but with more center void area and large outer blocks. Often these are Severe Snow rated as well (huge plus!). That said, I ordered the alloy wheels and Bridgestones to break-in the Gren. I figured less weight and resistance before I switch to 255/80R17 in something like these.

Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 12.01.19 PM.png

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:44 PM
Reaction score
When talking AT's, in my area I've found the opposite - they fill up, do not self clean, and become slicks. I much prefer something less than an MT, but with more center void area and large outer blocks. Often these are Severe Snow rated as well (huge plus!). That said, I ordered the alloy wheels and Bridgestones to break-in the Gren. I figured less weight and resistance before I switch to 255/80R17 in something like these.

View attachment 7816199
Agree, I’ve found the Ko’s aren’t particularly good in the mud and become slicks like most AT’s do.
Without wanting to go full MT, I’m currently running Nitto hybrids (more agressive than ATs) which are very similar to the Toyo R/T and find them a great compromise. Much better offroad tyres, and very quiet on the black stuff.
Just a shame they are very expensive and difficult to source here.

Local time
11:44 PM
Reaction score
Ive run Ko2s before and have been happy with them.
Snow, mud, rock.
I was happy with the on road experience as well.
fwiw

Local time
Reaction score
I just read some very poor reviews of the tire online.
I can say that wasnt my experience but this is going back some 10 years....
idk

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The Bridgstones are useless for it's main purpose.

For what it's worth, the Bridgestone's on the Grenadier are actually surprisingly decent. Side by side, the KO2s performed better in mud and wet rock; but literally everything else the Bridgestone tire did just fine without any more slip. The only aspect I can't speak for the Bridgestone tire is in the snow, but seeing that it is 3PMSF rated as well, I'd imagine they are pretty decent.

With all that being said, if your plan is to do serious off road terrain, get a tire suited for it; but for anything shy of that, the Bridgestone is a great tire (assuming you're alright with a less aggressive look)

singlefin

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don’t mind the BFG K02s but yea not mud tire and tread definitely picks up the gravel and you hear it clear when once on asphalt. I’ve been quite happy with Falken AT3W. To me the $600 extra with the rough pack for K02s makes sense. Run to 70% tread life, replace with AT3W, and sell K02s for $500 easy.

Local time
Reaction score
For what it's worth, the Bridgestone's on the Grenadier are actually surprisingly decent. Side by side, the KO2s performed better in mud and wet rock; but literally everything else the Bridgestone tire did just fine without any more slip. The only aspect I can't speak for the Bridgestone tire is in the snow, but seeing that it is 3PMSF rated as well, I'd imagine they are pretty decent.

With all that being said, if your plan is to do serious off road terrain, get a tire suited for it; but for anything shy of that, the Bridgestone is a great tire (assuming you're alright with a less aggressive look)
Are you comparing them based on the easy peasy stuff they do in the Grenadier demos?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Are you comparing them based on the easy peasy stuff they do in the Grenadier demos?

Not all the Grenadier demos were of the same "difficulty", but no, beyond the level that most of those were at...

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am a fan of Bridgestone Dueler 697 LT AT tyres, have had several sets and found them to he tough and a good all rounder. I haven’t seen a comparison between them and the ones on the Grenadier, but visually they seem quite a bit less aggressive than the 697. As I understand it the ones on the Grenadier are bespoke which doesn’t bode well for finding replacements if you damage one. I have ordered the KO2s, and unless they turn out to be terrible I will probably wear them out, but will likely not replace with same when it comes time to do it.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:44 AM
Reaction score
I am a fan of Bridgestone Dueler 697 LT AT tyres, have had several sets and found them to he tough and a good all rounder. I haven’t seen a comparison between them and the ones on the Grenadier, but visually they seem quite a bit less aggressive than the 697. As I understand it the ones on the Grenadier are bespoke which doesn’t bode well for finding replacements if you damage one. I have ordered the KO2s, and unless they turn out to be terrible I will probably wear them out, but will likely not replace with same when it comes time to do it.
When it comes to change time, I'll probably revert back to some type of General Grabbers (market dependant at the time) I rate them as good

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
When it comes to change time, I'll probably revert back to some type of General Grabbers (market dependant at the time) I rate them as good
I have had General Grabber AT2s they were very good in terms of grip on and off road and quiet but they seemed to have quite soft sidewalls which got cut and chipped a lot, never actually had a failure but was slightly worrying

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have had General Grabber AT2s they were very good in terms of grip on and off road and quiet but they seemed to have quite soft sidewalls which got cut and chipped a lot, never actually had a failure but was slightly worrying
Never had an issue with AT3s, but tyre manufactures products change very quickly, and have come to the conclusion not to get on brand loyalty until it is actually time to change.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

but I remember someone on this forum last year saying the Bridgestone looked like minivan tires!!

crashnburn

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:44 AM
Reaction score
Ko2 will be off straight away and replaced with Falken Wildpeaks ATW3. Fantastic tire, quiet but works great off road.
I have the Falkens on my LR3 and they do pretty well off-road (no rock crawling).
On-road they are pretty quiet too.

That would be my plan too, replace them with Falkens.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have the Falkens on my LR3 and they do pretty well off-road (no rock crawling).
On-road they are pretty quiet too.

I like them but I think my issue was size availability

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

To add to the hype, my plan as of current is to replace the factory tires (ordering with Bridgestones for cost savings) with Falken A/T3Ws, specifically because I've had them on all but one of our builds over the past 5 years with wonderful results, as well as the fact that it is one of only a few 3PMSF rated tires in the size I'd like (pizza cutters, 255/80/17)

Back
Top Bottom