The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

BMW Engine Start Stop Feature

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:15 AM
Reaction score
I have no experience with engine stop start features. Is this a good feature or a pain in the arse?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:15 AM
Reaction score
I have no experience with engine stop start features. Is this a good feature or a pain in the arse?
I can’t speak to the IG (maybe I can come New Years) but IT SUCKS. I hate it. My Sierra had it and the wife’s Outback has it. Routine - enter car, start car, seatbelt, turn off SS.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:15 AM
Reaction score
I can’t speak to the IG (maybe I can come New Years) but IT SUCKS. I hate it. My Sierra had it and the wife’s Outback has it. Routine - enter car, start car, seatbelt, turn off SS.
Yes that is what do, only to find after 7 years of doing that procedure I find ( by accident) it has now stopped working anyway.

Local time
1:15 AM
Reaction score
On many cars, you can get an aftermarket harness that turns it off automatically. Hopefully there will be on for the IG.

Reactions: sne

sne

Local time
10:15 AM
Reaction score
For the later Volkswagen models (eg T6.1) there is a small intermediate device available that „programmes“ the on/off switch to on or off or original function. Cheap version about 30€ direct from China or pro version around 100€. Not really legal in EU but suits. I suppose there is something similar available for the BMW setup but there are more experienced people here in the forum who should know.

Local time
1:15 AM
Reaction score
It should be as simple as an inline relay. Built similar to do a parking brake bypass on car stereos. It just sends a signal after starting to turn it off. I'd prefer a custom harness with no splicing, so hopefully someone will make one

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
On my test drive last week, it was on and active initially I stopped the car turned it off then fully off got out locked it etc. when I got back in it remembered I had turned it off, brilliant if thats the case when mine arrives.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ok, let me post a different opinion: first time in my life I drive a start-stop car. It is really OK, especially in town at traffic lights. Why pollute or spend gasoline when stopped anyway?

In a fraction of a second, the motor is running again. And I have driven more than 2000 km now, without pushing that "off" button.

So, I will keep using it.

Local time
Reaction score
There is a german Site who sell a modul for many Types.
You can make your own one by the given circuit, or buy a complete one.

The Side is called "born2bastel" : https://www.nicomania.de/auto/start-stop-automatik-deaktivieren#
There is a "translate Button" on the side.

I think the technical solution is in the same way for Ineos/BMW, but on the side above is no info about BMW.
So we have no pinout and no information about positive or negativ signal have to be built.

I have build my own one (for my current car - VW Amarok 4Cyl):

WP_20180521_12_32_31_Pro.jpgWP_20180521_12_31_00_Pro.jpgWP_20180512_15_35_38_Pro.jpgWP_20180520_15_05_53_Pro.jpgWP_20180522_19_55_19_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ok, let me post a different opinion: first time in my life I drive a start-stop car. It is really OK, especially in town at traffic lights. Why pollute or spend gasoline when stopped anyway?

In a fraction of a second, the motor is running again. And I have driven more than 2000 km now, without pushing that "off" button.

So, I will keep using it.
My info may be out of date, but initially when it came out on the Smart, it was causing fault with pulleys and belts as I don't think it ran off the normal starter motor.

MACS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As per my knowledge the start/stop "feature" is switched off once a trailer is connectet. It might be an idea to find out whether a connected bulb or resister in the trailer circuit can simulate a trailer behind.
So start/stop is hopefully gone.

Local time
Reaction score
On my Defender the start/stop works very well, but l hate it.

l actually find it emotionally disturbing when the engine shuts down without input from me. And then it will sometimes start up again if the traffic has been stationary for too long, causing me more emotional angst.

With the Defender you can buy a diagnostic tool that allows you to access the settings and do things like switch on the start/stop memory. So once you turn it off, it stays off. And turn off the seat belt "bong"

Doubtless there will in time be a similar product for the Grenadier. The Land Rover one is made by GAP Diagnostics

Local time
Reaction score
Its a pain in the a.... but BMW have put in stronger bearing shells to cope with it if you read the tech notes I will be turning it of permanently as fast as possible whiter by coding or conventional wireing

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:15 PM
Reaction score
Yes that is what do, only to find after 7 years of doing that procedure I find ( by accident) it has now stopped working anyway.
Same thing happened to my wife's Benz.
As long as the car starts - always - I'll be happy!

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:15 PM
Reaction score
As per my knowledge the start/stop "feature" is switched off once a trailer is connectet. It might be an idea to find out whether a connected bulb or resister in the trailer circuit can simulate a trailer behind.
So start/stop is hopefully gone.
Then you would probably lose rear parking sensors and who knows what other drive mode settings for towing would be activated.

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:15 AM
Reaction score
My bmw remembers if I turn off or on the ASS. Is that not how it works on the gren?

Back
Top Bottom