The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

BMW Engine Start Stop Feature

Halliwell Jones Chester

Commercial Account
INEOS Agent/Dealer (verified)
Local time
1:56 PM
Reaction score
I remember being on a course with BMW years ago and asking about the technology and wear on starter motor and so forth.

They replied with the fact that when the engine starts back up during stop start, it's not the same cycle as when you turn the key start.

Also just fuel wise this part, but they also said, if the engine shuts down for more than 0.7 of a second then you've saved fuel.

I've gotten used to it over the years and doesn't really bother me, but everyone is different and I do understand why it can frustrate people. Just press the button to deactivate when you get in as part of your start up routine.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
2:56 PM
Reaction score
They replied with the fact that when the engine starts back up during stop start, it's not the same cycle as when you turn the key start.
What else should they say?

Although I think the answer is correct in terms of the whole process, I also think that mechanically (as opposed to electronics and software) it can't be much different. The starter motor starts and engages the pinion gear in the starter ring gear.

OR, if it's a "brushless" system integrated with the central axis of rotation*) (i.e., inline with the crankshaft), it's less demanding, but still the same process mechanically as always.

The wear is in the mechanics, I think. It will be higher in the first case, but perhaps not a big deal in the "brushless" case.

*) unlike a conventional starter, which operates laterally outside this geometry and has a pinion that must first mesh with the starter ring gear - causing wear.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
8:56 AM
Reaction score
Why don’t we do our own tests with the IG. A week/month off a commute without S/start and then the same period with it. See which is best.

Over a week or so it should even out any fliers during the journey.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
8:56 AM
Reaction score
Over the years I have come round to accepting that most modern vehicles benefit from a maintenance charge once a month during winter or periods of less use.

Unless of course you do a decent amount of mileage on a weekly basis

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I feel sorry for all of you who hate the stop/start system. In the first models two decades ago it has been annoying for me as well. The actual systems work very smooth and good in my opinion. They even stop working when the engine isn't warm or the voltage of the battery is down.
For me in a town it is a good feature. outside a town it doesn't has toe work anyway. In the Ineos the system works good and is fast enough for my style of driving.

Local time
Reaction score
lt certainly doesn't work that way in the new Defender.
I've had to buy a diagnostic tool which cost £450, in order to make
it possible to switch off these "features"

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I feel sorry for all of you who hate the stop/start system. In the first models two decades ago it has been annoying for me as well. The actual systems work very smooth and good in my opinion. They even stop working when the engine isn't warm or the voltage of the battery is down.
For me in a town it is a good feature. outside a town it doesn't has toe work anyway. In the Ineos the system works good and is fast enough for my style of driving.
I left it on in some town traffic with the screen set to off road, electrical ~ it was pulling 380A multiple times in just yards. It was painful to watch.

Local time
Reaction score
I left it on in some town traffic with the screen set to off road, electrical ~ it was pulling 380A multiple times in just yards. It was painful to watch.
Yes that was just the electrical load imagine the mechanical load multiple times on the bearings if BMW weren't bothered about it why did they install more robust bearing shells???????????????

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:56 AM
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that it will be disabled at the first opportunity for me. For the life of me I cannot fathom some engineer saying: when we get to the stop light we will just turn the engine off to save a bit of petrol. Seems to me the off and on would be annoying as heck but, we will see when my vehicle arrives. Perhaps it will not be so bad. Oh, hell yes it is!

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
10:56 PM
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that it will be disabled at the first opportunity for me. For the life of me I cannot fathom some engineer saying: when we get to the stop light we will just turn the engine off to save a bit of petrol. Seems to me the off and on would be annoying as heck but, we will see when my vehicle arrives. Perhaps it will not be so bad. Oh, hell yes it is!yes
Yes it's not a coach or delivery vehicle sitting in city traffic all day spewing toxic gases. The catch can, DPF and Adblue effectively make the diesel inert - you'll get zero black soot accumulating at the exhaust. Hopefully stop/start can be turned off via a diagnostic tool.

Last edited:

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that it will be disabled at the first opportunity for me. For the life of me I cannot fathom some engineer saying: when we get to the stop light we will just turn the engine off to save a bit of petrol. Seems to me the off and on would be annoying as heck but, we will see when my vehicle arrives. Perhaps it will not be so bad. Oh, hell yes it is!
It’s not so much about saving fuel as it is about reducing unnecessary tailpipe emissions in congested cities. There are a lot of other people nearby not in cars when you’re stopped at lights.

Reactions: Fab

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes that was just the electrical load imagine the mechanical load multiple times on the bearings if BMW weren't bothered about it why did they install more robust bearing shells???????????????
Because they designed and engineered it to withstand 500,000 duty cycles instead of 50,000. It was built on purpose???????????????

MACS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As per my knowledge the start/stop "feature" is switched off once a trailer is connectet. It might be an idea to find out whether a connected bulb or resister in the trailer circuit can simulate a trailer behind.
So start/stop is hopefully gone.
But this will switch off rear PDC as well.

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:56 AM
Reaction score
But this will switch off rear PDC as well.
Doesn't get better than this - a two for one!

Not sure I have a PDC on my vehicle or if ever owned one with it. My guess is they are needed because Drivers Ed probably sucks now or it has been discontinued. To me, PDC is just another item not needed by me and I wish it could have been optioned out.

Back
Top Bottom