The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Black Sheep Inovations

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:44 AM
Reaction score
That is why nobody will end up driving a full rack around under a tent.

I am almost done with my plans. My solution will be based on three pairs of these.

View attachment 7809500

https://daysontracks.com/pages/roof-rack

The top base is 120x80mm in size made from 4mm steel. Slotted for 8mm screws.

So I will use regular 40x40 or 40x80 mm alloy bars across the roof and have some 40x40 ones on the side. Feet come with airline / utility fixing option.

View attachment 7809501

With few of these profiles at home, it allows me to lengthen and shorten the rack as needed and build / fix everything with cheap 8mm screws and material that is available all around Europe.

A pair of these high gutter mount, spacing to the rubber thingies on the IG roof is 30mm, weights 2,5kg. Profiled are 1,5kg per meter. So I should be able to put this together in the 25-30kg range easily.

View attachment 7809504

Might even have an extended frame running around and between the safari windows to allow extra loading when needed.

And if I end up travelling without my RTT, I can fix panels on top with some 8mm bolts.

What do you think? Any major concerns?
In Australia this may be an issue as non-Australian Design Rule compliant accessories can result in the vehicle being hit with an Unroadworthy Certificate. Enforcement is really haphazard though so one could go years without an issue. Do you have equivalent constraints over your way?

The path of least resistance with an RTT is I think a pair of heavy duty roof bars. Rhino-Rack have various mesh platforms and baskets that connect directly to their roof bars - perhaps something like that is an option when the RTT is not fitted?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:44 PM
Reaction score
Are you suggesting we can increase the dynamic load limit of the IG distributing load onto tie down bars as well as the gutters?
I'm only suggesting it's a question worth asking.

Another question worth asking is how the dynamic load limit has been arrived at; or rather whether the limit is set by an external factor.

We've all seen Camel Trophy vehicles with roof racks "overloaded" according to the weight limits listed for such racks. However, there was a discussion on one of the Landrover forums that the limiting factor applied for the weight limit was actually the quoted tilt angle the vehicle would go to without falling over.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The grab handles were designed to be a lashing point for the roof cargo and were never designed to support roof cargo so the forces put through the grab handles for lashing cargo down are totally different than the forces for supporting the weight of the cargo.
I think you need to read the patent for these things ~ there's a whole plurality of ideas for use.

The crux of the matter is the load you attach to the roof in total (including the mass of the rack) should be either the racks design limit or the 150kg limit of the Grenadier, which ever is the lesser. No additional support you add to the rack will allow you to exceed the 150kg limit, in fact it will just take away from your cargo as you are adding weight.

Screenshot_20230427_083058.jpg

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The path of least resistance with an RTT is I think a pair of heavy duty roof bars. Rhino-Rack have various mesh platforms and baskets that connect directly to their roof bars - perhaps something like that is an option when the RTT is not fitted?
That might work for me, (I have specced the safari windows) I have no major expeditions planned , but will use a RTT. It would be good however to have some extra roof space for side awnings and the like, which is why I was leaning towards a 3/4 purpose built rack. Hmm.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That might work for me, (I have specced the safari windows) I have no major expeditions planned , but will use a RTT. It would be good however to have some extra roof space for side awnings and the like, which is why I was leaning towards a 3/4 purpose built rack. Hmm.
I would consider either that or the ARB Base Rack, which is light, modular, has all the fittings you need, and is RTT ready.
It is however a bit pricey.

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:44 PM
Reaction score
@das mo : Do you think the 200mm bracket/feet are long enough, I think I will use the 250mm one. My Idea is to use the two (ordered) Ineos roof bar for the RTT and make a 750 wide alu plattform with these feet. Than I have the space for Aluminium box, jerry can (2pcs 10l) and water jerry can.

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@das mo : Do you think the 200mm bracket/feet are long enough, I think I will use the 250mm one. My Idea is to use the two (ordered) Ineos roof bar for the RTT and make a 750 wide alu plattform with these feet. Than I have the space for Aluminium box, jerry can (2pcs 10l) and water jerry can.
Yes.
Measured it and talked to DOT on the phone.
Happy to discuss 1:1.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Local time
1:44 PM
Reaction score

Agree and the IG 3/4 rack (at least in the States) is less expensive than the Frontrunner and will include factory warranty.

RavenVoice

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I can’t for the life of me get anybody at Black Sheep to respond to my enquiries (I’ve emailed numerous times now); lord knows how these guys stay in business if they can’t even reply to customers that wish to make a purchase. Anybody else on here had any luck with them?

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I can’t for the life of me get anybody at Black Sheep to respond to my enquiries (I’ve emailed numerous times now); lord knows how these guys stay in business if they can’t even reply to customers that wish to make a purchase. Anybody else on here had any luck with them?

Under IA management...

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:44 AM
Reaction score
Hi RavenVoice, I was having difficulty reaching Black Sheep Innovations too, however called them from the US early this morning and ended up speaking with Thomas.
I am looking at purchasing their stainless steel rock sliders along with their aluminum bolt-on / bolt-off steps instead of buying the Grenadier side steps or rock sliders.
They look very stout and with the sliders being made of stainless steel, will be less prone to rusting if scraped when off roading. They also have places in them where you can fit a high jack lift to lift the whole side of the vehicle up. The main thing I am trying to find out, (and Thomas said he will get me the information soon), is how high is it up from the ground with a Grenadier stock rims/tires to the top of their bolt-on / bolt-off step. My wife is only 4' 11" and as such, if the height to the top of the step is too high, then it may not work for me. I will say their design looks fantastic on the Grenadier with just the rock sliders and also with their bolt-on / bolt-off steps. Just concerned for my application that perhaps the step is too high and maybe a bit narrow too. They are going to take the measurements and forward them to me the next time they get a Grenadier in and fit it with rock sliders and steps. I will then post the measurements on the forum.
Here's their contact information. The phone number are exactly how you would dial them up from the USA.
BlackSheep Innovations / Located in Zurich.
Phone – Dial 011 41 76 376 70 60
Email: info@blacksheep-innovations.com
Website for their Grenadier Items: https://shop.blacksheep-innovations.com/Rockslider-Ineos-Grenadier.html

Urban Automotive in the UK also has designed some great side steps. I don't think they function as rock sliders, although would provide some protection. Trying to get clarification if they would function as rock sliders too or not. Appear to be made steel instead of stainless steel, however have questions out to them on this too.
Below I will post a YouTube Video showing some of there products including their initial design for their side steps. Fun to watch. They are still 1-3 weeks out from what I gather from posting everything on their website and providing final details and specs. Until then, they are not providing any details.
From what I saw in the YouTube Video it appears their design is superior to the side steps that Grenadier offers. The Grenadier side steps look like they are hanging out into midair space, just don't look right. I love the Grenadier rock sliders, however they can't be used as entry steps as they are too high up and close to the vehicle. The Urban Automotive side step design is a two tube design which looks much better than the Grenadier single tube design. Also Urban Automotive steps appear to be much more in line with the look of the new Defender side steps, (of which I own one and love). The thing with side steps is striking a balance between ease of entry and height for some off roading. On the New Defenders, most all have air shocks so you can lower the vehicle down to entry level, which puts the top of the step just 310mm or 12 1/4” up from the ground, which is a vey comfortable step.

Rovie from the Grenadier forum was kind enough to provide some measurements and photos to me in regard to the Grenadier Side Steps.
The Grenadier side steps appear to measure approximately 395mm or 15 ½” from the ground to the top of the step, which is 85mm or 3 1/4" higher then the New Defender Step. Although higher then the new Defender side steps, likely ok for my wife and a compromise from ease of entry and off road clearance since the Grenadier does not have air bags to lower for ease of entry.

Here's the contact info for Urban Automotive.
Note: If your in the USA, you will have to get all your information from their USA Distributor, Milltekcorp, who can then contact Urban Automotive and get your questions answered. / Details not available until they do their official launch in 1-3 weeks or so.
URBAN AUTOMOTIVE IN THE UK
YouTube Video Link to initial upcoming product ideas for the Grenadier / Fun to Watch
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS8XUgpSJks

Urban Automotive Website / Where products will be posted once they go live on their website.
https://www.urban-automotive.co.uk
Phone number to dial if calling from USA to UK
011 44 1 908 978 978 and once online press option 1 and then when connected ask for Parts
Email for Luca at Urban Automotive in the UK: luca@urban-automotive.co.uk
Email for their USA Distributor Milltekcorp: info@urbanusa.com
Direct Email for Frankie Heilmeier at USA Distributor Milltekcorp: frankie@milltekcorp.com

In summary, (sorry for being so verbose, must be because I am in sales), I for one am not going to order the Grenadier Side Steps from Grenadier. I will however be purchasing either the Black Sheep rock sliders with their bolt-on / bolt-off steps or the side steps from Urban Automotive. My initial take is that for those who's main use will be on road around town, then Urban Automotive Side Steps may be best and for those who are more hard core off roaders, go with the Black Sheep rock sliders with bolt-on / bolt-off steps.

I did recommend to Urban to perhaps design some bolt-on / bolt-off steps that could easily be fitted onto the Grenadier Rock Sliders that would provide around town ease of entry and still allow one to unbolt them for more serious off roading. That would be great for all those fitting rock sliders from Grenadier.

If anyone gets additional information before I do, please update us.

Once I hear back from Black Sheep and Urban I will update everyone. DaBull

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi RavenVoice, I was having difficulty reaching Black Sheep Innovations too, however called them from the US early this morning and ended up speaking with Thomas.
I am looking at purchasing their stainless steel rock sliders along with their aluminum bolt-on / bolt-off steps instead of buying the Grenadier side steps or rock sliders.
They look very stout and with the sliders being made of stainless steel, will be less prone to rusting if scraped when off roading. They also have places in them where you can fit a high jack lift to lift the whole side of the vehicle up. The main thing I am trying to find out, (and Thomas said he will get me the information soon), is how high is it up from the ground with a Grenadier stock rims/tires to the top of their bolt-on / bolt-off step. My wife is only 4' 11" and as such, if the height to the top of the step is too high, then it may not work for me. I will say their design looks fantastic on the Grenadier with just the rock sliders and also with their bolt-on / bolt-off steps. Just concerned for my application that perhaps the step is too high and maybe a bit narrow too. They are going to take the measurements and forward them to me the next time they get a Grenadier in and fit it with rock sliders and steps. I will then post the measurements on the forum.
Here's their contact information. The phone number are exactly how you would dial them up from the USA.
BlackSheep Innovations / Located in Zurich.
Phone – Dial 011 41 76 376 70 60
Email: info@blacksheep-innovations.com
Website for their Grenadier Items: https://shop.blacksheep-innovations.com/Rockslider-Ineos-Grenadier.html

Urban Automotive in the UK also has designed some great side steps. I don't think they function as rock sliders, although would provide some protection. Trying to get clarification if they would function as rock sliders too or not. Appear to be made steel instead of stainless steel, however have questions out to them on this too.
Below I will post a YouTube Video showing some of there products including their initial design for their side steps. Fun to watch. They are still 1-3 weeks out from what I gather from posting everything on their website and providing final details and specs. Until then, they are not providing any details.
From what I saw in the YouTube Video it appears their design is superior to the side steps that Grenadier offers. The Grenadier side steps look like they are hanging out into midair space, just don't look right. I love the Grenadier rock sliders, however they can't be used as entry steps as they are too high up and close to the vehicle. The Urban Automotive side step design is a two tube design which looks much better than the Grenadier single tube design. Also Urban Automotive steps appear to be much more in line with the look of the new Defender side steps, (of which I own one and love). The thing with side steps is striking a balance between ease of entry and height for some off roading. On the New Defenders, most all have air shocks so you can lower the vehicle down to entry level, which puts the top of the step just 310mm or 12 1/4” up from the ground, which is a vey comfortable step.

Rovie from the Grenadier forum was kind enough to provide some measurements and photos to me in regard to the Grenadier Side Steps.
The Grenadier side steps appear to measure approximately 395mm or 15 ½” from the ground to the top of the step, which is 85mm or 3 1/4" higher then the New Defender Step. Although higher then the new Defender side steps, likely ok for my wife and a compromise from ease of entry and off road clearance since the Grenadier does not have air bags to lower for ease of entry.

Here's the contact info for Urban Automotive.
Note: If your in the USA, you will have to get all your information from their USA Distributor, Milltekcorp, who can then contact Urban Automotive and get your questions answered. / Details not available until they do their official launch in 1-3 weeks or so.
URBAN AUTOMOTIVE IN THE UK
YouTube Video Link to initial upcoming product ideas for the Grenadier / Fun to Watch
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS8XUgpSJks

Urban Automotive Website / Where products will be posted once they go live on their website.
https://www.urban-automotive.co.uk
Phone number to dial if calling from USA to UK
011 44 1 908 978 978 and once online press option 1 and then when connected ask for Parts
Email for Luca at Urban Automotive in the UK: luca@urban-automotive.co.uk
Email for their USA Distributor Milltekcorp: info@urbanusa.com
Direct Email for Frankie Heilmeier at USA Distributor Milltekcorp: frankie@milltekcorp.com

In summary, (sorry for being so verbose, must be because I am in sales), I for one am not going to order the Grenadier Side Steps from Grenadier. I will however be purchasing either the Black Sheep rock sliders with their bolt-on / bolt-off steps or the side steps from Urban Automotive. My initial take is that for those who's main use will be on road around town, then Urban Automotive Side Steps may be best and for those who are more hard core off roaders, go with the Black Sheep rock sliders with bolt-on / bolt-off steps.

I did recommend to Urban to perhaps design some bolt-on / bolt-off steps that could easily be fitted onto the Grenadier Rock Sliders that would provide around town ease of entry and still allow one to unbolt them for more serious off roading. That would be great for all those fitting rock sliders from Grenadier.

If anyone gets additional information before I do, please update us.

Once I hear back from Black Sheep and Urban I will update everyone. DaBull
My take on Urban, as their name suggests, is their bars will be for aesthetics only. Which for many owners will be good enough reason to buy.
I did enjoy their video and the fact they saw lots of ways forward with the Grenadier for this target market.

Back
Top Bottom