The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Black Sheep Ctek D250 charger bracket

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
11:13 PM
Reaction score
It will be responsibility of you SE Queenslanders (near Ipswich) to get KAON to make a CTEK bracket for us Aussies, plus some of their other goodies (and they do have some goodies).
Yes. Tim is definitely the man for the job. Quality products, reasonably priced.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hell, I’d lend him my IG for a few days if it helped.
Rear parcel shelf is likely to be high on my list.
Emailed Kaon and they were very quick in response but nothing for the I.G. is available from them at present, nor are they looking at it, at least for now. Seemed to suggest if they have enough enquiries they would consider it and I've offered mine when it arrives for measurements. Perhaps give them a bell to register your interest.

baders

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:13 PM
Reaction score
For the gurus. Would the SmartPass / D250SE combination support the starting battery (lead acid) and an additional (to be fitted later) LiFePo auxiliiary ? Would there be an issue mixing types in this configuration ?

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For the gurus. Would the SmartPass / D250SE combination support the starting battery (lead acid) and an additional (to be fitted later) LiFePo auxiliiary ? Would there be an issue mixing types in this configuration ?
I checked the DSE250 here https://www.ctek.com/au/battery-chargers-12v-24v/d250sa
It is described as charging the "service" battery first then switches over to the starter battery..
The reference also says the DSE250v is no longer in production!
I suspect that you'd need some sort of 'manual' switch arrangement to change the charging algorithm between Li and lead acid. I'm not aware of any chargers at present which can automatically distinguish between LiFePO4 (for example) and a lead-acid type, or for that matter, between an AGM /Calcium/standard flooded lead acid type.
The new multi charge chemistry Victron 15A mains powered charger I bought recently, requires you to set the battery type via a "mode" selection switch.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes the combo can charge LiFePo4, provided you buy the CTEK 250SE which is the Lithium model. It also has a solar input.

The combination of the 250SE and 120S can handle mixed chemistries (for Lithium you need to attach a special wire to the Lithium battery being charged - see top of page 6 of the manual, where it shows you must connect to a 12 volt source for Lithium). The Manual for the CTEK 250SE for Australia is here.

Some useful info here on the 250SE and 120S. More videos on the 250SE here.

The CTEK 250SA is NOT Lithium compatible and it is usually cheaper. For Lithium SE is good, SA is bad. Yep only the last letter differentiates the two models!

Word of caution on Lithium
In Australia the INEOS rep stated, to me, Lithium batteries were not part of the approval process for the Grenadier (he was the ADR person in Australia). When pressed he seems concerned about a cheaper brand of Lithium battery used here in Australia (which I would not use). I would consider using an Invicta Lithium battery which is a proven high-end brand.

I was surprised with the conviction behind his view. Suggesting he may know more than he was prepared to say.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I suspect that you'd need some sort of 'manual' switch arrangement to change the charging algorithm between Li and lead acid. I'm not aware of any chargers at present which can automatically distinguish between LiFePO4 (for example) and a lead-acid type, or for that matter, between an AGM /Calcium/standard flooded lead acid type.
The new multi charge chemistry Victron 15A mains powered charger I bought recently, requires you to set the battery type via a "mode" selection switch.
The BMPro battery chargers and the Redarc DCtoDC Lithium compatible chargers require a wire to the Lithium battery (often the positive battery terminal) to initiate the Lithium charging profile (as does the CTEK system).

I have a BMPro charging an Invicta Lithium battery in my Battery Box.

Last edited:

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:13 PM
Reaction score
Yes the combo can charge LiFePo4, provided you buy the CTEK 250SE which is the Lithium model. It also has a solar input.

The combination of the 250SE and 120S can handle mixed chemistries (for Lithium you need to attach a special wire to the Lithium battery being charged - see top of page 6 of the manual, where it shows you must connect to a 12 volt source for Lithium). The Manual for the CTEK 250SE for Australia is here.

Some useful info here on the 250SE and 120S. More videos on the 250SE here.

The CTEK 250SA is NOT Lithium compatible and it is usually cheaper. For Lithium SE is good, SA is bad. Yep only the last letter differentiates the two models!

Word of caution on Lithium
In Australia the INEOS rep stated, to me, Lithium batteries were not part of the approval process for the Grenadier (he was the ADR person in Australia). When pressed he seems concerned about a cheaper brand of Lithium battery used here in Australia (which I would not use). I would consider using an Invicta Lithium battery which is a proven high-end brand.

I was surprised with the conviction behind his view. Suggesting he may know more than he was prepared to say.
I think I know of the brand he talks (or not) about, I build my own lithium batteries, that way I know how good and well built they are (with quality components), many supposed high end are not so, not talking about Invicta though.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
He was not talking about Invicta but the Orange and Black one starting with an i, wink, wink.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Emailed Kaon and they were very quick in response but nothing for the I.G. is available from them at present, nor are they looking at it, at least for now. Seemed to suggest if they have enough enquiries they would consider it and I've offered mine when it arrives for measurements. Perhaps give them a bell to register your interest.
I have also emailed KAON, plus one or two more.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:14 PM
Reaction score
I got a similar response from KAON, but they did say there has now been a few requests. So keep on making them.

Looking at that bracket more closely, I think it maybe fairly straight forward to make my own. I will need my car first to be sure.

For anyone in Sydney a red Fieldmaster Prototype was due at Purnell Adventure yesterday (now Friday aka tomorrow).

Last edited:

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I got a similar response from KAON, but they did say there has now been a few requests. So keep on making them.

Looking at that bracket more closely, I think it maybe fairly straight forward to make my own. I will need my car first to be sure.

For anyone in Sydney a red Fieldmaster Prototype was due at Purnell Adventure yesterday (now Friday aka tomorrow).

Thank you for your enquiry and we have had a few customers contact us already about making accessories for the Ineos.

At this stage, we don't have plans to develop gear for the new Ineos's but we will monitor customer demand/interest.

Pending review of the vehicle, we would need at least 20 interested Ineos owners for us to start developing roof shelves and we would need to presell prior to the first production run.

What product/s are other owners wanting on their Ineos's?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Your response from KAON is offering more than the one I recently received, in particular paragraphs 3 and 4.

My KAON wishlist
  1. Bracket for the CTEK 120S and the 250SE chargers, using the existing mounting points under the seat for the CTEK 120S. If KAON wait too long I will have made my own.
  2. Standalone rear roof shelf to use unused roof space for storage.

Last edited:

beg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:14 PM
Reaction score
if fitting a tracker direct to battery terminals does it matter if its start battery or second one ?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No, but the aux battery is preferable to take the power drain off the starter battery.

Reactions: beg

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Your response from KAON is offering more than the one I recently received, in particular paragraphs 3 and 4.

My KAON wishlist
  1. Bracket for the CTEK 120S and the 250SE chargers, using the existing mounting points under the seat for the CTEK 120S. If KAON wait too long I will have made my own.
  2. Standalone rear roof shelf to use unused roof space for storage.
I don’t care who makes one, but a bracket doesn’t take an engineering genius or a lot of expensive materials so whoever does it, I reckon they can supply one at about half the price of black sheep delivered in Australia and still make a profit

Back
Top Bottom