The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Bell sound when bouncing on something

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:45 AM
Reaction score

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:45 AM
Reaction score

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi @Jean Mercier I have not noticed this before. My vehicle runs very quiet without any noise.
If most people don't have this, then I have another problem :eek:

But today I tested the 4×4 capabilities, slow driving through road works (not allowed but huge loss of time if I hadn't dare to do it) and the car did it! (Romania). Later I hope to upload the video. (not related to the noise issue)

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

But today I tested the 4×4 capabilities, slow driving through road works (not allowed but huge loss of time if I hadn't dare to do it) and the car did it! (Romania). Later I hope to upload the video. (not related to the noise issue)
That’s the stabilisator. I did some green laning and light offroad but no sound at all but the engine and branches scrubbing the car.

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

But it’s a hydraulic shock absorber. So the bigger part is just a tube to protect the plunger that shift in and out the smaller part. The smaller part is full of oil. That bigger part is just a hollow tube. So the sound if you tab on it is logical. Did you scrub the ground with it. A path with deep rudd’s?

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
But it’s a hydraulic shock absorber. So the bigger part is just a tube to protect the plunger that shift in and out the smaller part. The smaller part is full of oil. That bigger part is just a hollow tube. So the sound if you tab on it is logical. Did you scrub the ground with it. A path with deep rudd’s?
No, look at the first video, that's what worries me: even on a normal street, without scrubbing, I have it.

I have this since the beginning of owning the car, but at first I thought it were some stone hitting "something"

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:45 AM
Reaction score
No, look at the first video, that's what worries me: even on a normal street, without scrubbing, I have it.

I have this since the beginning of owning the car, but at first I thought it were some stone hitting "something"
If you grab the large part of the shock absorber/damper does it move and touch against the smaller part that slides inside it ? How is the steering ? does it feel light. Is the damper damaged?

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If you grab the large part of the shock absorber/damper does it move and touch against the smaller part that slides inside it ? How is the steering ? does it feel light. Is the damper damaged?
Yes, If the damper is malfunctioning or damaged, you should definitely feel that in your steering Jean. But of course the Gren is already wobbly on his own. And if you had this already from the first day, you may even not noticed it.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:45 AM
Reaction score

HI Jean, If Ineos does not have a fix, perhaps spraying the outside of the hollow tube part of the stabilizer with a rubber type paint, like a truck bed liner type paint, would deaden the sound and stop it from ringing. You could always try wrapping it first with Silicon tape to see if that works too. DaBull

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:45 PM
Reaction score
HI Jean, If Ineos does not have a fix, perhaps spraying the outside of the hollow tube part of the stabilizer with a rubber type paint, like a truck bed liner type paint, would deaden the sound and stop it from ringing. You could always try wrapping it first with Silicon tape to see if that works too. DaBull
Or stop tapping on it

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don't feel anything in the steering, but it isn't nice to hear it so often when I am on bad track. Will have to check it regularly.

Reactions: PBD

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don't feel anything in the steering, but it isn't nice to hear it so often when I am on bad track. Will have to check it regularly.
Is this noise only happening when on a bad track? If so then could it be just stones hitting against the damper which is one of the lowest points ?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Is this noise only happening when on a bad track? If so then could it be just stones hitting against the damper which is one of the lowest points ?
@Jean Mercier's first video of him going over a speed bump seems to imply it's a noise generated by vertical movement of his suspension rather than stones flying up; or at least that was my initial impression...

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
@Jean Mercier's first video of him going over a speed bump seems to imply it's a noise generated by vertical movement of his suspension rather than stones flying up; or at least that was my initial impression...
Never heard that sound come out of a vehicle when traversing over a street hump... so it is just odd and very unusual to my experiences.

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
For me it is not the sound you generated by knockin on the stabilzer. That is not a single "Klong" but there are two loose things hitting each other. It sounds for me like tools or some other metallic load, which are not fastenet and flying around (a little bit).

AWo

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Jean Mercier ... vertical movement of his suspension
For me it is not the sound you generated by knockin on the stabilzer. That is not a single "Klong" but there are two loose things hitting each other. It sounds for me like tools or some other metallic load, which are not fastenet and flying around (a little bit).

AWo
@DCPU Yes vertical movement! Always, even at lower speeds. Depends on the bouncing.
@AWo I think it is the stabilisator, because of the frequency of the sound. The other possibility is the transmission axle, is a similar sound when you hit it, but technically I don't think this is the case. But you could be right that something is loose, but it is clearly the car! Not stuff in the car.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Do you own a trolley jack? Can you jack it up off the chassis to replicate suspension extension and see if the movement is smooth or there's anything catching then releasing. I wouldn't expect it to make the same sound, but it might make some sound?

If the sound is just on compression, then "dropping" the jack by opening the hydraulic valve quickly may replicate the sound and give you a better understanding to locate it's exact position.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Do you own a trolley jack? Can you jack it up off the chassis to replicate suspension extension and see if the movement is smooth or there's anything catching then releasing. I wouldn't expect it to make the same sound, but it might make some sound?

If the sound is just on compression, then "dropping" the jack by opening the hydraulic valve quickly may replicate the sound and give you a better understanding to locate it's exact position.
No I don't own a trolley jack (had to google the word), but is a good idea. In the mean time I have another possible cause, easy to eliminate, but don't have material with me to do the testing. Probably I will have to diagnose myself, as I don't think my dealer will spend too much time on it. But who knows.

Back
Top Bottom