The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Steering Damper attachment

K1LL3M

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:40 PM
Reaction score
Watching a recent youtube video on an American vehicle, I note with interest that Ineos appear to have made a change to the attachment of the steering damper (See Photos)

Video (about the 18:50 mark)
View: https://youtu.be/ZvPNwz-IUUk?si=MbYaUG5FI_lOuQG7

I guess this would help to not get hung up on the damper mount (I have before) but not so sure on the bolt safety now being on the under side. A captive protection ring would help here. I know KAON in Aust make them for some vehicles.

It will be interesting see how the vehicle develops due to its time in the wild

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240107_151819_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20240107_151819_YouTube.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 169
  • 20240107_152041.jpg
    20240107_152041.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 183

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:40 PM
Reaction score
I thought this was a RHD vs LHD difference?

K1LL3M

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I find it difficult to believe this is purely a RHD vs LHD thing.

The bracket is welded on. Why would they use 2 different types? Why would there be different manufacturering process

Are we sure this is a drive side difference, or is it possibly because the RHDs are the recent production run now being produced?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Are we sure this is a drive side difference, or is it possibly because the RHDs are the recent production run now being produced?
This was brought up months ago comparing UK/Oz RHD and RoW LHD vehicles (MY23)

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

The bracket is welded on. Why would they use 2 different types? Why would there be different manufacturering process

Definitely is, RHD the damper is out in front, LHD in behind, has been this way from the start.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:40 AM
Reaction score

The reason is the diff is in the way for the RHD models. Someone will make an relocation bracket soon enough.

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:40 PM
Reaction score
Wow, that RHD location is 100% assured destruction. This will be a mandatory flaw for everyone to fix. Once you nail that thing on a rock, you cannot turn any more. Been there, done that.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Wow, that RHD location is 100% assured destruction. This will be a mandatory flaw for everyone to fix. Once you nail that thing on a rock, you cannot turn any more. Been there, done that.
Or oddly, something that thousands of owners have been taking off road for nearly a year without major catastrophe...

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:40 AM
Reaction score
No one has managed to destroy their damper so far. Exposed it is but from what I've seen it's doing ok.
No doubt someone will do it, but you'd have to put some effort in.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Pretty easy to remove in the field if you damage it and it will drive to get you out of trouble. It’s not ideal but it’s not a disaster

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No one has managed to destroy their damper so far. Exposed it is but from what I've seen it's doing ok.
No doubt someone will do it, but you'd have to put some effort in.
I think I have seen one somewhere

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:40 PM
Reaction score
Or oddly, something that thousands of owners have been taking off road for nearly a year without major catastrophe...
These are 90K rigs, most are being driven on gravel roads. I have not seen a real off-road photo yet. To be expected. Our first few years we likely wont get too crazy either. My guess is I will just remove ours, and see how it handles.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
These are 90K rigs, most are being driven on gravel roads. I have not seen a real off-road photo yet. To be expected. Our first few years we likely wont get too crazy either. My guess is I will just remove ours, and see how it handles.
What would you deem as a "real off road photo"? On a muddy side slope being hand winched sideways with a hi-lift? Parked on top of a boulder the size of the truck that required all 3 diff locks to climb? Over the tires in a muddy water crossing? Partially submerged and using the drain plugs to remove water from the interior? Airborne?

We put these vehicles through some seriously precarious positions during the PTO2 tour (no, not what clients drove, but when we were finding routes). Deep mud, sand, snow, dirt, clay, rocks, boulders, etc... Many times the shape of the skid plates were altered, a few mud flaps ripped off, and side steps bent (they are still probably the strongest "steps" I have seen on a factory vehicle); the steering linkages and the damper were never a concern.

If SW USA rocks are your thing, the trucks spent two days through AZ to film the first commercial and a lot of the photos/quick snips on the website, much of which was over rocky terrain (and plenty that never made it into the video), and again, never had a concern of damaging the steering damper.

No one has managed to destroy their damper so far.
Red Noland Ineos (Colorado Springs, CO) destroyed one on their LHD demo vehicle within only a few days of having it on a rock. IMO (of course, I wasn't there), out of pure negligence and poor line choice

Last edited:

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
On my IH Scout, bending the shaft on the stabilizer reduced steering range of motion. It did’nt have to be torn off.

K1LL3M

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thats a gross generalisation. Definitely not all and you clearly aren't looking hard enough. #IYKYK

Attachments

• 20231111_155024.jpg
    20231111_155024.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 94

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mine has been seriously offroad on some very knarly bush tracks.

Rooballer

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine definitely has seen some action, done a few of bush runs and have spent almost three weeks on the beach between Moreton and Fraser Island’s.

Attachments

• IMG_0060.jpeg
    IMG_0060.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0729.jpeg
    IMG_0729.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0061.jpeg
    IMG_0061.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 61
Back
Top Bottom