The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Bell Auto Services (BAS) CTEK D250SE charger bracket

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:12 AM
Reaction score
If it's going to help, I'll have a go at sketching it out tomorrow. 👍

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
11:12 AM
Reaction score
Thanks!

But take your time, no need to hurry. I'm currently load with work.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Dead easy from scrap of aluminium thanks to everyone....

View attachment 7823972
I’ve had a very wet day today, can’t get on with much else so cut out a mounting plate for myself incase I decide to get a Ctek D250SE for myself. A piece of sheet galvanised steel tidied up with some zinc spray. IMG_2137.jpeg

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
11:12 AM
Reaction score
Yes, zinc spray is it. (y)

I use it all the time.

KDJDGrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:12 PM
Reaction score
No progress today, awaiting parts, but this is the plate plumbed in and firing on all cylinders in Pete's vehicle:
View attachment 7822996
I am about to install my D250SE in a week. Can i ask what guage the negative wire is from the D250SE and did you connect it to the Aux battery negative post or the chassis? Also, did you utilise the smart alternator red wire to an ignition source?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am about to install my D250SE in a week. Can i ask what guage the negative wire is from the D250SE and did you connect it to the Aux battery negative post or the chassis? Also, did you utilise the smart alternator red wire to an ignition source?
I used 16mm² cable with an M8 ring connector at each end. Length in photo is 250mm (measured to cable ends) - you could go a lot shorter. It's connected to the M8 stud on the negative terminal of the auxiliary battery.

The CTEK manual states a minimum cable size of 4mm²/AWG12.

Last edited:

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Final connections - earth lead to auxiliary battery is far too long - ideally it should be 165mm measured tip to tip with M8 ring connectors:
View attachment 7823781

And temperature sensor taped to the the auxiliary battery near to the positive terminal. (I might investigate the thermal paste mentioned in another post):
View attachment 7823782

I'm going to leave the smart alternator cable unattached for the time being, taking the lead from what Ineos have done with the Smartpass, at least until they come back with answers to the outstanding questions on this topic. I am minded to attach them if I get no sense.
Curious, did you connect the Smart alternator cable on the D250? What of the 120 smart alternator cable?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Curious, did you connect the Smart alternator cable on the D250? What of the 120 smart alternator cable?
I'm going to leave the smart alternator cables unattached for the time being, taking the lead from what Ineos have done with the Smartpass, at least until they come back with answers to the outstanding questions on this topic. I am minded to attach them if I get no sense.

KDJDGrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
As indicated by others when re-connecting the batteries, I got these warning lights in the tell tale:
View attachment 7823789
Odd that diff locks that won't work without centre diff or low gear will illuminate...

And the lockers up top continued to flash rapidly for a good period after the vehicle was shut down:
View attachment 7823791

With engine running - things seems to be indicating that they are working:
View attachment 7823794
Hi DCPU, I have my D250SE mechanically installed but after some advice regards the black wire from the D250SE. Did you connect it to the negative battery terminal?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi DCPU, I have my D250SE mechanically installed but after some advice regards the black wire from the D250SE. Did you connect it to the negative battery terminal?
No *, I understand this to be the linked to the charge voltage for various battery types; and as standard we have a wet battery, then it is correct to leave it unconnected:
Screenshot_20230902_081326.jpg
* I've made the assumption that you were not talking about the large black wire, which is the battery temperature sensor, which I've taped adjacent to the positive terminal of the auxiliary battery (photo earlier in thread).

Last edited:

KDJDGrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
No *, I understand this to be the linked to the charge voltage for various battery types; and as standard we have a wet battery, then it is correct to level it unconnected:
View attachment 7825564
* I've made the assumption that you were not talking about the large black wire, which is the battery temperature sensor, which I've taped adjacent to the positive terminal of the auxiliary battery (photo earlier in thread).
Thank you so much DCPU if you had not replied I would have connected that black wire.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you so much DCPU if you had not replied I would have connected that black wire.
Have you checked your battery type?

Mine's a wet battery, "EFB" in the parlance. Let's not assume your's is the same without checking first.

As with Jean Mercier's post on Smartpass changes, it would not be unforeseeable for Moll to provide a substitute battery type if there were shortages of the standard type; or indeed any other form of normal change process in the manufacturing of a complex vehicle.

KDJDGrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Have you checked your battery type?

Mine's a wet battery, "EFB" in the parlance. Let's not assume your's is the same without checking first.

As with Jean Mercier's post on Smartpass changes, it would not be unforeseeable for Moll to provide a substitute battery type if there were shortages of the standard type; or indeed any other form of normal change process in the manufacturing of a complex vehicle.
Mine is an "EFB" also.

MilesD

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Hi all, did we get anywhere with Ineos regarding why the ‘red’ wire on the ctek 120 is not connected to the smart alternator via +15/ignition?. Ctek kindly sent me the 2 missing busbars connecting the 120 to 250 this week, along with a rather cryptic note saying
The battery charger that is installed in Grenadier does not have the same function as CTEK's SMARTPASS, but CTEK see no problem functionally that Grenadier battery charger is completed with a D250SE“.
Given the fact the 120 red cable does not connect to anything, the comment is understandable. However I have asked Ctek if the wire can be connected and why not if the alternator is a modern smart one (unless Ineos have removed that functionality, but would think it’s tied into the bmw end of things. I am not a sparks, but now have 2 dangly red cables looking for a home and hate loose ends….. :)

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi all, did we get anywhere with Ineos regarding why the ‘red’ wire on the ctek 120 is not connected to the smart alternator via +15/ignition?.
Not yet.

Ctek kindly sent me the 2 missing busbars connecting the 120 to 250 this week, along with a rather cryptic note saying
The battery charger that is installed in Grenadier does not have the same function as CTEK's SMARTPASS, but CTEK see no problem functionally that Grenadier battery charger is completed with a D250SE“.
See @Jean Mercier's post with regard to what is now being fitted to vehicles arriving at agents (I'd link the post in but can't seem to locate it!)

Edit: now found:
Post in thread 'CTEK SMARTPASS 120S and 250SE DC to DC charger basic features and install information' https://www.theineosforum.com/threa...-install-information.12412843/post-1333209781
Given the fact the 120 red cable does not connect to anything, the comment is understandable. However I have asked Ctek if the wire can be connected and why not if the alternator is a modern smart one (unless Ineos have removed that functionality, but would think it’s tied into the bmw end of things. I am not a sparks, but now have 2 dangly red cables looking for a home and hate loose ends….. :)
CTEK seem very positive in comments to several owners, myself included, that it's OK to attach the red wires. I'm also trying to recall who posted some comments on the functionality that made a lot of sense... 🤔

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom