The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Battery drain - what is causing it?

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:39 AM
Reaction score
I have no issue with battery drain. When I was camping for three nights recently, opening and shutting the vehicle doors over that time and not driving anywhere, my primary battery only dropped from 96% to 93%. I have the factory secondary battery, though no monitoring (yet).

For those without a faulty battery and an unknown battery drain source, I’m wondering if the vehicle’s alarm has anything to do with this situation. I only have the standard alarm that came with the vehicle and didn’t option up the alarm.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:39 PM
Reaction score
I have no issue with battery drain. When I was camping for three nights recently, opening and shutting the vehicle doors over that time and not driving anywhere, my primary battery only dropped from 96% to 93%. I have the factory secondary battery, though no monitoring (yet).

For those without a faulty battery and an unknown battery drain source, I’m wondering if the vehicle’s alarm has anything to do with this situation. I only have the standard alarm that came with the vehicle and didn’t option up the alarm.
We only have the standard alarm here in the UK, although I do have a Scorpion tracker fitted by my dealer.

Orcmurd

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Dual battery setup and even after being on a Ctek charger when charger shows battery full, Grenadier show SOC of 81% max. Battery discharges 3-4% each day if not driven. Dealer has tested both batteries and said they were fine. Not sure if Grenadier SOC data is accurate as she at 81%, charge rate is 1A but when SOC shows 55%, charge rate sits at 14-18A until SOC increases and then reduces.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Dual battery setup and even after being on a Ctek charger when charger shows battery full, Grenadier show SOC of 81% max. Battery discharges 3-4% each day if not driven. Dealer has tested both batteries and said they were fine. Not sure if Grenadier SOC data is accurate as she at 81%, charge rate is 1A but when SOC shows 55%, charge rate sits at 14-18A until SOC increases and then reduces.
Mines exactly like this.

Arlette

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Personally I would not be too concerned about 84% when opening the car, sitting in it with (I guess) the contact on to check the battery status. While you do that you drain quite a bit of current, and the voltage drops.
I checked it some moment ago in my car, but I have also the auxiliary battery.
The car didn't move the last 4 days and the voltage dropped from 12.81 volts to 12.68 volts while I only opened the car like 3 times, see the voltage drops on the graph.
View attachment 7853656

Today, before opening any door and doing the check IN the car I checked with my Chinese voltage monitoring spies. Main battery says 12.68 Volts and SOC (State if Charge) 87%. Beware, I don't know if the SOC calculation of the Chinese monitor uses the same algorithm as my Grenadier.
Funny thing is that my Auxiliary battery states 95% SOC with the same voltage, probably because the Voltage measurement was done at a moment the Smartpass was draining the current for recharging the Main battery!
View attachment 7853658

As soon as I open the door and put my contact on, I get a significant but normal voltage drop, and SOC of 84%:
View attachment 7853659
Confirmed by my car, SOC 83%:
View attachment 7853661

The pulses seen on my battery spy is the CTEK Smartpass recharging the Main battery from the Auxiliary, pulses of about 8A.

Therefore, again, a SOC of 84% doesn't seem to be an issue if you are using your car computer.
Jean - many thanks for your comments. Today after 4 days without use but checking the SOC daily the SOC has fallen to 62% and voltage 12.4v. I drove for 30 minutes at a good pace and raised the SOC to 64% with a typical amperage of 6amps.

acwiltshire

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:39 AM
Reaction score
Mines exactly the same as yours. Single battery, 12 month old, diesel and stop start doesn’t work (never worked). I’m interested to know too. It’s either the battery is knackered or software controlling the smart battery charger because I remember one time when I got in, it said 10% battery charge. Next day 84% without me doing anything. Never been above 90%. I’ve had the software update too (1946). Last time my dealer looked at it said it was normal. Occasionally I get Ecall low battery. That’s the emergency call button in the overhead console which I believe has a separate inbuilt battery pack which charges itself when the car is running.
My diesel, single battery will be a year old next month and was showing all the above battery issues as discussed. Plunging to 40% or lower after a few days and not recovering even after a 170 mile trip. Agent had investigated and thought alternator terminal damage was cause but no. Anyhow , due to major water ingress in drivers footwell and it being held at the agent since last Dec, I have rejected and a new one is being made for me.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My diesel, single battery will be a year old next month and was showing all the above battery issues as discussed. Plunging to 40% or lower after a few days and not recovering even after a 170 mile trip. Agent had investigated and thought alternator terminal damage was cause but no. Anyhow , due to major water ingress in drivers footwell and it being held at the agent since last Dec, I have rejected and a new one is being made for me.
When you get your replacement Grenadier and I get mine back from South Africa we could meet up again in your local 🤔🍺🍺

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What a pain. Are you changing anything from your original spec? Or are you even allowed to make changes??

acwiltshire

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:39 AM
Reaction score
What a pain. Are you changing anything from your original spec? Or are you even allowed to make changes??
I was asked if there was anything I wished to re-spec. but actually no. They didnt have a stock repacement so a new build is showing on my portal.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Do you have the email to reject. I may consider this option. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom