The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Bailers?

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:57 PM
Reaction score
Interesting trend I'm seeing over the last few days - about 10 folks I know whom have ordered the vehicle are opting not to take delivery for a myriad of reasons. Build issues, price, other options, risk of high depreciation - etc. These are all VERY thoughtful/smart people whom I've met here and other places that at the end decided to end their journey at this point; couple said they may wait for the next model release for more 'gremlin removal.'

Curious to hear what others are noticing as well - as one person I'm a small sample - but are others seeing the same thing? Might open up some room for negotiating with the dealers if we see many unallocated vehicles for sale at the dealers.

Last edited:

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
They should ignore the negative comments on here. I would like to know how many real problems exist? Ours has very minor problems, but has not left us stranded in 6 months, whereas the Beloved Defender 90 did 3 times in its first 6 months. My guess is they can't afford the cost of ownership.

I would like to add when I visit here on a bad day I feel like selling mine (I even got as far as adding the details to Autotrader and then backed off). I then drive it and realise it's brilliant. Don't believe all you read and that's why I am very selective on what I read on this forum recently.

EDIT: Just look at how many threads there are listing faults and problems that DON'T EXIST, it is depressing.

Last edited:

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
6:57 PM
Reaction score
They should ignore the negative comments on here. I would like to know how many real problems exist? Ours has very minor problems, but has not left us stranded in 6 months, whereas the Beloved Defender 90 did 3 times in its first 6 months. My guess is they can't afford the cost of ownership.

I would like to add when I visit here on a bad day I feel like selling mine (I even got as far as adding the details to Autotrader and then backed off). I then drive it and realise it's brilliant. Don't believe all you read and that's why I am very selective on what I read on this forum recently.

EDIT: Just look at how many threads there are listing faults and problems that DON'T EXIST, it is depressing.
As there was a minimal cost to pre-ordering, I'm sure there were a lot of people who jumped in without really looking at the cost of ownership. Maybe some hoped there would be more hype, with a hope to sell for a profit, but from the second-hand market in Europe being so flat, no one (of these "speculative buyers" is willing to risk taking delivery and being unable to make a profit....
It is true that early vehicles in Europe had quite a few teething problems (well publicised on this forum and FB), but I think the '24 model being delivered in the US "should" have most ironed out (but then the trailer hitch rears its ugly head......). Small issues like this are likely enough to push people onto the "walk away" side....

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think the '24 model being delivered in the US "should" have most ironed out (but then the trailer hitch rears its ugly head......).
To be fair, the trailer hitch issue has more to do with North America being obsessed with red rear turn signals (and being the only market globally that uses them)

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I believe there was anticipation from the Lexus/G-wagon/etc. clientele and the Gren is not meeting. It is an odd vehicle in the market and something no other manufacturer would consider. So when these individuals discover it doesn't tickle their backside and requires steering input, they run away bashing it.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Wait, isn't there something wrong with the pedal box area?

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:57 PM
Reaction score
Wait, isn't there something wrong with the pedal box area?

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
Very few people in the world or even in the 4x4 world know about the Grenadier. Anytime I speak cars with friends or clients and every time I call an aftermarket supplier and ask them if they are going to support the Grenadier, they say what is a Grenadier. It gives me pure joy to tell them the story. Once the public and 4x4 community starts seeing the Grenadier plying the roads and in it's natural habit, it is my belief that demand for the vehicle will continue to build and be very strong. Unlike the initial disconnect that many gave the New Defender, because of its new look, (not me I took advantage of that and bought one of the first 2020 First Editions below MSRP), the Grenadier is a vehicle that instantaneously connects with your soul. Even if demand falls short, who cares, I am getting a vehicle that I always wanted and did not know existed until Sir Jim Ratcliffe birthed it into reality. The Grenadier had me at Hello. I count myself one of the lucky ones. DaBull

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I saw on Facebook that a email has been sent from Ineos to people saying they are providing 4.9% financing for vehicles that are sitting at dealerships. Now people are up in arms that they raised the price by 15k.

I personally think the people.on the fence have bought into a lot of the negative narrative around steering, and the teething issues. These people decided to bail without driving it themselves and experiencing the greatness

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you look at this board - I've only seen a couple of our mates in UK/EU have what I would describe as 'lemon' vehicles - the rest have been bells and whistles issues that seem to have been knocked out/or addressed over time. I must echo my esteemed Grenadier orderer DaBull - this thing had me at hello as well. I think looking at this forum we are going to be able to customize these and fix issues as they pop up given the number of tinkerers we have out there.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Have you cancelled too Krabby? Could never trust the Yanks...... :)

Regarding RHD vehicles, the left side area could be better - but I'm used to it.
Kidding aside, I can see why it's annoying for you RHD guys and I would be a bit lucky because I'm not tall and have small feet.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I saw on Facebook that a email has been sent from Ineos to people saying they are providing 4.9% financing for vehicles that are sitting at dealerships. Now people are up in arms that they raised the price by 15k.

I personally think the people.on the fence have bought into a lot of the negative narrative around steering, and the teething issues. These people decided to bail without driving it themselves and experiencing the greatness
What 15% increase are you referring to - the one that happened a year ago - or are dealers raising the prices on the vehicles at dealerships?

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I believe there was anticipation from the Lexus/G-wagon/etc. clientele and the Gren is not meeting. It is an odd vehicle in the market and something no other manufacturer would consider. So when these individuals discover it doesn't tickle their backside and requires steering input, they run away bashing it.
The Gwagon crowd wants a 'Happy Ending' option pack before they will shop IG

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What 15% increase are you referring to - the one that happened a year ago - or are dealers raising the prices on the vehicles at dealerships?
A rehash of an old story posted by Drive in Australia - there's no change that we can see.

jeffmattSD

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think that one of the reasons you might be seeing cancellations in the US is because it is very easy to preorder a grenadier with only a $450 refundable deposit. I think in Europe buyers were asked to put up $5,000 additional non-refundable deposit before they ordered their car. In the US there was always going to be a certain percentage drop out when they had to actually come up with the money. Just my 2 cents.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
It's 15k and as @Krabby Pointed out, it brings the ROW in line with the US

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:57 AM
Reaction score
Kidding aside, I can see why it's annoying for you RHD guys and I would be a bit lucky because I'm not tall and have small feet.
It's not annoying for 99% of us. The other 1% include hobbits.
Empty vessels make the most sound!

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Was the $15K increase on top of what we are paying in this wave - in other words - the G is now $110K if you want one off the floor as the MSRP?
No as @Krabby said, this is rehashing the MY24 price bump.... We never had a "bump" because we started with MY24

Back
Top Bottom