The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Auxiliary lighting

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:48 AM
Reaction score

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A lot of glare off the bonnet, I tried a roof mount for 1 trip, I spent approximately 2 hours removing the light bar from the roof, and remounting it on to the Roo Bar that first night at camp and finished it the following morning before the second day of driving.
It was a spread beam, so probably made it worse, it was mounted on the roof about 300mm back from the windscreen on a discovery 2.
Roof mounted may be OK for slow off road but not high speed on road, or it may be the fact that I was using a spread beam.
I would like to know if anyone here has had more success than me, because it is a convenient place to put a light bar.
So if there are any tricks like a reflective shield directly under the light bar, or just a better quality modern light bar I am all ears.

Not sure if this helps but this installation produced no adverse glare off the bonnet.
Could be due to location, colour of the car.
Could also be due to the design of the light bar, which is single row with long beams in the middle and wide beams at the edges.

52821877-ACBF-4E5A-A210-49D8BE181675.jpeg36A4A36E-6579-4F70-998B-F78212C6A56D.jpeg

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
True. You can also get a pod type thing for New Defender and something like that might work
Oh yeah, good point. I’ve seen those on the glam G-Wagens. I presume they’re just attached with double-sided tape...? Wonder if that would survive Oz if so.

AWo

Local time
3:48 AM
Reaction score
A usual arrangement is that the power "source" is female so that live contacts are not exposed. (I appreciate that this "rule of thumb" is not always adhered to!) So I would expect the female socket is on the vehicle...
With the DEUTSCH DT System, the male pins are in a female housing and vice versa. Sometimes irritating when ordering plugs.

Cheers
AWo

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:48 PM
Reaction score
The covers are cheap plastic? Are they replaceable? Do you think the aftermarket can create a better solution?

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:48 AM
Reaction score
The covers are cheap plastic? Are they replaceable? Do you think the aftermarket can create a better solution?
Yes, I guess so, but I didn't analyse how they are mounted. I didn't like it at all! I would guess that they will not survive intensive usage, neither 10 years, but I could be wrong.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:48 AM
Reaction score
Yes they look very delicate.

They appeared fairly late in the prototype development stages. My guess is at some point they ran out of time/resources, put things like the inverter on the back burner and only got others, like this box, though a very basic phase one development cycle.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am a bit confused
I always thought the covers would be made of plastic
Why does that make them fragile?
The bumpers are made of plastic for Europe, as are the wing mirrors, spare wheel cover etc
I will open them, plug in light bar and side & rear working lights then close them.
How many times are people going to be changing what is plugged in???
Daily? Weekly? Once a year?

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am a bit confused
I always thought the covers would be made of plastic
Why does that make them fragile?
The bumpers are made of plastic for Europe, as are the wing mirrors, spare wheel cover etc
I will open them, plug in light bar and side & rear working lights then close them.
How many times are people going to be changing what is plugged in???
Daily? Weekly? Once a year?
Well there are many grades of plastic. There is flimsy fragile plastic and there is solid robust plastic. I was always disappointed to see these awkward looking boxes. I had assumed the plugs would be recessed in the housing, it looks like an afterthought. I did think that early pictures they looked flimsy and this comfirms it. Some may open the regularly if they aren’t leaving things permanently connected but out on the tracks in the bush branches will brush by them as well, and even with minimal use, these vehicles are desigfor longevity, 10 years in the Australian sun kills flimsy plastics. Would be nice if aftermarket came up with a more subtle and robust solution.

Last edited:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Someone will make "tactical" "billet" covers.
And you will pay a tidy sum.
However the best improvement on my '78 911 was fitting alloy inner door handles to replace the bendy cheap feeling and prone to breakage plastic ones.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Well there are many grades of plastic. There is flimsy fragile plastic and there is solid robust plastic. I was always disappointed to see these awkward looking boxes. I had assumed the plugs would be recessed in the housing, it looks
Like and afte thought. I did think that early pictures they looked flimsy and this comfirms it. Some may open the regularly if they aren’t leaving things permanently connected but out on the tracks in the bush branches will brush by them as well, and even with minimal use, these vehicles are desigfor longevity, 10 years in the Australian sun kills flimsy plastics. Would be nice if aftermarket came up with a more subtle and robust solution.
Lucky they have a 5 year warranty then

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:48 AM
Reaction score
I was always disappointed to see these awkward looking boxes. I had assumed the plugs would be recessed in the housing, it looks like an afterthought. I did think that early pictures they looked flimsy and this comfirms it.
I think a number of us thought the same.

It also makes no sense that that the boxes appear to block a large portion of one of the tie down bars.

Back
Top Bottom