The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Auxiliary lighting

MacBlooby

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:59 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone identified the type of connector that plugs into roof power points ? I assume many will want to get ahead of the game making up power leads, while waiting for build/delivery

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:59 PM
Reaction score
Is it female on the car and male on the lead?
A usual arrangement is that the power "source" is female so that live contacts are not exposed. (I appreciate that this "rule of thumb" is not always adhered to!) So I would expect the female socket is on the vehicle...

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
A usual arrangement is that the power "source" is female so that live contacts are not exposed. (I appreciate that this "rule of thumb" is not always adhered to!) So I would expect the female socket is on the vehicle...
This why people call their vehicles lady names...
Fortunately there is no confusion with identity when it comes to power sockets. It's either him or her.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
regarding additional driving lights:
does anyone have a view as to the most efficient area or level to have them mounted:
1. at the same level as the standard lights (so either between the main and auxillary lights or on the inside the aux lights), or
2. mount above the standard lights, either on the Roo Bar or on the front of the roof rack or roof Bar; or
3. just below the standard front lights

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:59 AM
Reaction score
for me, I'd mount on the roof bar/rack (front of roof), gives imo a better angle of illumination. drawback to get around is added drag/noise and possible glare off of the bonnet.

below the standard front lights would be good for side illumination and immediate terrain - rather like front fog lights. I'm going for both.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
regarding additional driving lights:
does anyone have a view as to the most efficient area or level to have them mounted:
1. at the same level as the standard lights (so either between the main and auxillary lights or on the inside the aux lights), or
2. mount above the standard lights, either on the Roo Bar or on the front of the roof rack or roof Bar; or
3. just below the standard front lights
I’m interested to see how the auxiliary lights as fitted perform, partly because it depends on whether you’re seeking additional reach or width in the beam.

My personal preference is to light the near shoulders from which kamikaze skippy (or wombat etc) might leap (waddle).
For this purpose I prefer roof mounted wide throw beams.

This is super handy in countries where livestock roam on the roads as running over someones sheep/calf can lead to all sorts of headaches.

The downside is that these can flare more than low mounted lights in foggy or dusty conditions.
I understand an orange filter prevents this flaring but I’ve never tried it.

In the wide open Oz interior though I can see the value in the big driving lights mounted low up front.
Less use internationally as the near fight tends to be the issue, speeds being much lower on unlit roads.

Safari windows may have an impact on roof mounting so I’m presently considering either that or an LED bar mounted on the top rail of the roo bar.

Last edited:

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Agree on roof rack mounting but.......... I have also been thinking of a thin linear strip of LED driving lights fixed on either the top or second level of the grill.

This might be a perfect spot as it would seem more discrete (and staying on the Grenadier with the roof rack removed) than either the same strip LED's lights but mounted across the front of the roof rack or larger oval/round LED lights of a similar size to the standard lights. Screenshot 2023-02-15 200714.png

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m interested to see how the auxiliary lights as fitted perform, partly because it depends on whether you’re seeking additional reach or width in the beam.

My personal preference is to light the near shoulders from which kamikaze skippy (or wombat etc) might leap (waddle).
For this purpose I prefer roof mounted wide throw beams.

This is super handy in countries where livestock roam on the roads as running over someones sheep/calf can lead to all sorts of headaches.

The downside is that these can flare more than low mounted lights in foggy or dusty conditions.
I understand an orange filter prevents this flaring but I’ve never tried it.

In the wide open Oz interior though I can see the value in the big driving lights mounted low up front.
Less use internationally as the near fight tends to be the issue, speeds being much lower on unlit roads.

Safari windows may have an impact on roof mounting so I’m presently considering either that or an LED bar mounted on the top rail of the roo bar.
GG- fully agree that we each owner needs to see how the standard lights work for their purposes and conditions; and that's exactly what I will do.

My idea of smaller LED's sort of integrated within the grill area would not provide the extra width you indicated that is probably more beneficial in Australia, and maybe SA.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Agree on roof rack mounting but.......... I have also been thinking of a thin linear strip of LED driving lights fixed on either the top or second level of the grill.

This might be a perfect spot as it would seem more discrete (and staying on the Grenadier with the roof rack removed) than either the same strip LED's lights but mounted across the front of the roof rack or larger oval/round LED lights of a similar size to the standard lights. View attachment 7803319
If I decide the standard auxiliary lights aren’t enough I will put a 30” light bar under the bottom rung of the roo bar. I’m not a fan of roof mounted lights in general and with the safari windows it would be a nightmare with glare, but to put it in front of them would require a roof bar right at the front which would look silly.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
GG- fully agree that we each owner needs to see how the standard lights work for their purposes and conditions; and that's exactly what I will do.

My idea of smaller LED's sort of integrated within the grill area would not provide the extra width you indicated that is probably more beneficial in Australia, and maybe SA.
Yes, that’d definitely be a neat installation. Something like these might be worth a look.
The only thing that could be an issue might be reducing airflow if you’re operating somewhere properly hot.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If I decide the standard auxiliary lights aren’t enough I will put a 30” light bar under the bottom rung of the roo bar. I’m not a fan of roof mounted lights in general and with the safari windows it would be a nightmare with glare, but to put it in front of them would require a roof bar right at the front which would look silly.
Not necessarily…

Noting if you’re handy one could fab something a bit more aesthetically pleasing.

Local time
6:29 PM
Reaction score
for me, I'd mount on the roof bar/rack (front of roof), gives imo a better angle of illumination. drawback to get around is added drag/noise and possible glare off of the bonnet.

below the standard front lights would be good for side illumination and immediate terrain - rather like front fog lights. I'm going for both.
A lot of glare off the bonnet, I tried a roof mount for 1 trip, I spent approximately 2 hours removing the light bar from the roof, and remounting it on to the Roo Bar that first night at camp and finished it the following morning before the second day of driving.
It was a spread beam, so probably made it worse, it was mounted on the roof about 300mm back from the windscreen on a discovery 2.
Roof mounted may be OK for slow off road but not high speed on road, or it may be the fact that I was using a spread beam.
I would like to know if anyone here has had more success than me, because it is a convenient place to put a light bar.
So if there are any tricks like a reflective shield directly under the light bar, or just a better quality modern light bar I am all ears.

Back
Top Bottom