The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Autoweek review (USA)

Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 5.34.03 PM.png
When Ineos failed to secure the original Defender tooling from Land Rover, it decided to build, in essence, that beloved British off-roader’s spiritual successor, the Grenadier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:27 AM
Reaction score
Pedigree is good.
"no fewer than 250 engineers moving from the creation of the current Mercedes-Benz G-Class straight onto the Grenadier project"

Local time
8:27 PM
Reaction score
A second write up suggesting a sub-$60,000 US starting price. Weird.
It is weird, and maybe a consequence of lazy journalism. That was the anticipated price before inflation took off like a bull with its butt on fire.

Its a shame, because I think there is a real market for a reasonably-priced, relatively simple, old-school 4x4, but one that is new, and has some of the basic features people want today in a daily driver. I don't know how that market holds up if the vehicle gets expensive, because it will never drive as nicely on road as some other vehicles that also have 4-wheel (all-wheel) drive, and that are similarly priced. While hard-core off road enthusiasts or overlanders won't make that comparison, other people will. In other words, people's tolerance for vague steering on the highway starts to go down as the vehicle's price starts to go up.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:27 PM
Reaction score
But you would think the info would be fresh considering they were at the event two weeks ago!

I‘m curious if the people interested in the new Defender will cross shop with the Gren when it’s here. They’re ~$70,000 off road vehicles that are light years apart in many ways, but I see the affluent American buyer in love with the hi-tech, more luxurious ND. TBH, I hope that’s the case in some ways; separate the wheat from the chaff.

Local time
Reaction score
But you would think the info would be fresh considering they were at the event two weeks ago!

I‘m curious if the people interested in the new Defender will cross shop with the Gren when it’s here. They’re ~$70,000 off road vehicles that are light years apart in many ways, but I see the affluent American buyer in love with the hi-tech, more luxurious ND. TBH, I hope that’s the case in some ways; separate the wheat from the chaff.
Yeah, I think a lot of people will cross-shop the Grenadier and the new Defender. Both are good off road, so it makes sense in that regard. But the big differences between the vehicles will force people to decide what to prioritize - and that is all part of sensible decision-making.

To me what does not make sense is complaining about how the Grenadier handles on road, when compared to the Defender. Is it worth pointing out the difference? Yes, of course. It is a huge point of difference, and should be one of the key criteria to help one decide which vehicle is right for one's own specific needs. But complaining that the Grenadier is "falling short" or something, indicates a lack of understanding of the informed decision that was made by Sir Jim to go with solid axles, recirculating ball steering, and steel spring suspension. These are not mistakes, but intentional choices made to maximize a different set of values than those maximized by the engineers who designed the new Defender.

P.S. I know that you fully understand this Krabby - so I'm not replying to you per se. These comments are really directed to reviewers who don't seem to understand the costs and benefits of one set of engineering decisions over the other.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:27 AM
Reaction score
It could be that both models appeal to an aspirational purchaser. This is an urban or suburban driver that is excited to open their garage door on a vehicle that promises them that they could just get in and drive away from it all, and not stop when the tarmac runs out.

Local time
Reaction score
It could be that both models appeal to an aspirational purchaser. This is an urban or suburban driver that is excited to open their garage door on a vehicle that promises them that they could just get in and drive away from it all, and not stop when the tarmac runs out.
Yeah, the power of the imagination and this sort of aspiration cannot be underestimated.

Back
Top Bottom