The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

AUSTRALIA: new standard for lithium batteries coming

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:52 PM
Reaction score
From November 2023 all batteries used in recreational vehicles in Australia must (which might really mean may)* comply with Australian Standard AS3001.2:2022. The link is a summary of the standard. It applies to Lithium, Lead-Acid batteries etc. It is worth a read. More info here.

If your battery does not meet the new standard, it may impact your insurance policy, in a worse case scenario the insurer may deny liability. So check policy wording - I really hope it is not added to Policy wording (but insurance companies love a good escape clause).

Here are some interesting requirements:

Lithium batteries
“These instructions must include a directive that installation work needs to be completed by an appropriate person (eg licensed electrician) according to the electrical legislation of your state/territory jurisdiction.”

Lead Acid
“A spill tray must be installed under the battery(ies) that can hold a minimum 20% of the electrolyte held by the battery(ies).”

Invicta Lithium batteries are saying they comply with the new Standard, but the Standard goes beyond the battery to include fusing, securing the battery, etc.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER
*We need to find out whether this new Standard is compulsory or optional. Usually, Standards are not compulsory (if they are put in a Code under legislation they can become compulsory). For the time being it is probably not compulsory, but that does not mean they cannot be put into an insurance policy. It may become an issue over time, as we live in a world where people love to change optional to compulsory.

Standards Australia's FAQ states:

Are standards mandatory?​

We publish voluntary standards. However, State and Commonwealth governments often refer to standards in their legislation. When this happens, these standards can become mandatory.

We are not able to give advice in relation to the compliance or non-compliance with any requirements or specifications in a standard. Please contact the relevant regulator for information on compliance with mandatory standards. A list of key government contacts is available here.

Last edited:

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
From November 2023 all batteries used in recreational vehicles in Australia must comply with Australian Standard AS3001.2:2022. The link is a summary of the standard. It applies to Lithium, Lead-Acid batteries etc. It is worth a read.

If your battery does not meet the new standard, it may impact your insurance policy, in a worse case scenario the insurer may deny liability. So check policy wording.

Here are some interesting requirements:

Lithium batteries
“These instructions must include a directive that installation work needs to be completed by an appropriate person (eg licensed electrician) according to the electrical legislation of your state/territory jurisdiction.”

Lead Acid
“A spill tray must be installed under the battery(ies) that can hold a minimum 20% of the electrolyte held by the battery(ies).”

Invicta Lithium batteries are saying they comply with the new Standard, but the Standard goes beyond the battery to include fusing, securing the battery, etc.
Thanks for the "heads up" @TheDocAUS (y)
Wasn't sure where the link was so here's a bit more info:
Would be an informative exercise to determine who the subject matter experts were who advised Standards Australia on this issue and their commercial links (if any):unsure:

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I wonder if that's to be retrospective?

The lead acid one is interesting. Most battery installations (both OEM and second set up) hardly have enough room for the battery, let alone a tray that can hold 20% of the acid therein.

Places like ARB, TJM, etc etc are going to have to employ a sparky now by the look of it, not just an equipment fitter..

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I put that link in my post but it somehow got lost. Thanks.

More background info here. A link from the other document. For example:

Aust Std-2023.08.02-12_11_23.png

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I wonder if that's to be retrospective?

The lead acid one is interesting. Most battery installations (both OEM and second set up) hardly have enough room for the battery, let alone a tray that can hold 20% of the acid therein.
Standards are not generally retrospective.

But the requirement about battery compartments may (or not) impact the IG. Before anyone asks, I believe INEOS Australia are looking at the issue.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
1690942590484.png

How the standard applies to the IG may depend on the exact wording of the standard. The devil is in the detail, but I do not want to pay $200 for the Standards exact wording.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A third party battery box may be a “battery compartment” under the Standard requiring it to be externally vented. I would like to know the answer to that question, because:

1690943100898.png

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Standard also applies to inverters.
Inverter-2023.08.02-12_28_16.png

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7822034

How the standard applies to the IG may depend on the exact wording of the standard. The devil is in the detail, but I do not want to pay $200 for the Standards exact wording.

For other vehicles, Interesting to see the definition of auxiliary batteries, ie. those installed third party to run a fridge etc etc, given they are not related to vehicle propulsion or compliance with road vehicle regulations.

Technically as I understand it the IG aux battery is installed to support the starter, so they could potentially dodge that bullet, but any modification to that, for example to isolate the starter and have the aux solely set up for running a fridge, could well be trapped potentially.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
We need to find out whether this new Standard is compulsory or optional. Usually, Standards are not compulsory (if they are put in a Code under legislation they can become compulsory). For the time being it is probably not compulsory, but that does not mean they cannot be put into an insurance policy. It may become an issue over time, as we live in a world where people love to change optional to compulsory.

I have already read one email saying the new Standard is compulsory by saying you "must" comply, but is that a marketing ploy?

Last edited:

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:52 PM
Reaction score
Insurance Companies would be daft to insure homes that have had older battery systems installed, where a fire separation wall is not immediate to the home. One went up the other day in North Gold Coast - good old fire... not sure on brand of battery wall pack but obviously had issues.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The safety police are everywhere and that is not a bad thing.

My auxiliary needs are not great. And I won't be living inside the Grenadier.
At this stage my plan is to use my Kickass battery box with integrated DC-DC and substitute the AGM battery for a Lithium.
The box suits either type, and has been properly engineered (certainly not under-engineered) .
Solar is plug and play , and there are more outlets than you ever need.
I will either mount it in the cargo compartment (it is easily detachable) or if possible/safe, mount it to the rear seat back (when folded forward).
Hopefully I can satisfy all these new standards and the need for an expensive wiring professional.
If not , well just another one of life's obstacles to overcome , eh!

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The safety police are everywhere and that is not a bad thing.

My auxiliary needs are not great. And I won't be living inside the Grenadier.
At this stage my plan is to use my Kickass battery box with integrated DC-DC and substitute the AGM battery for a Lithium.
The box suits either type, and has been properly engineered (certainly not under-engineered) .
Solar is plug and play , and there are more outlets than you ever need.
I will either mount it in the cargo compartment (it is easily detachable) or if possible/safe, mount it to the rear seat back (when folded forward).
Hopefully I can satisfy all these new standards and the need for an expensive wiring professional.
If not , well just another one of life's obstacles to overcome , eh!
At present the Standards are optional for owners. But people love to change Optional to Compulsory.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:52 PM
Reaction score
Uh oh.. I've seen a lot of caravans with Lithium batteries under the floor!
I have seen a garage go up in smoke only a week ago, closed a rural east-west main road and I was forced to drive an hour in M1 traffic to get around it! They shut the damn road!!!
Apparently 60kWh of Lith battery storage went up!

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Enerdrive system built to comply. They've used filtered vents in the door to stop dust ingress, and a Dometic roof vent to aid in convection ventilation. $$$

Attachments

• extinstall.jpeg
    extinstall.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 33

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
After reading the Standard I remembered that video and understood why they did it.

Your post needs an edit "BIG$$$". :)

Last edited:

etbandit

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
We need to find out whether this new Standard is compulsory or optional. Usually, Standards are not compulsory (if they are put in a Code under legislation they can become compulsory). For the time being it is probably not compulsory, but that does not mean they cannot be put into an insurance policy. It may become an issue over time, as we live in a world where people love to change optional to compulsory.

I have already read one email saying the new Standard is compulsory by saying you "must" comply, but is that a marketing ploy?
Thanks for the info Doc. In your link it states that the new standard is made mandatory by electrical legislation in each state/territory

Attachments

• IMG_20230808_130439.jpg
    IMG_20230808_130439.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 18

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That is not definitive, but it strongly suggests mandatory is on its way. We need to see who the legislation applies the mandatory obligations too, it may only be caravan makers.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Take a look at this article from BMPro (12 Volt Guru), its application maybe even broader than quoted above (like fuses on solar panels, inverters, RCD, etc). We do need to know what Recreational Vehicle means, as the standard applies to them (pretty sure it does mean caravan, camper trailer and motor home - not sure how far beyond that).

An earlier article by the same 12 volt Guru states (in part):

Although the new standard has already been implemented, it will only be enforceable on new RVs starting from mid-November 2024. While there won’t be any 12V police patrolling caravan parks to enforce strict compliance, there is a clear expectation on Australian manufacturers and importers to adhere to the new Australian Standards. It is also anticipated that the industry as a whole will hold itself accountable for identifying and addressing non-compliance issues.

As clear as mud.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom