The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Supported USB-A/USB-C Port Power Standards (tested)

mikeonline

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:04 PM
Reaction score

Here we go with the poor support of the USB Power standards.​

We have DCP 5V 1.5A and CDP. Both are nearly the same, except that the Middle-Box USB Connectors have a Data-Connection to the Car-Display.
The Connectors in the fond just provide power. [1] [2]
As we have 5V * 1.5A = 7,5 W which is very poor (created around 2007-2010). State of the Art is up to 240 W.
I dont demand we get latest USB Power Delivery Standards, but at least for USB-C connectors, we could expect much more.
About the Test-Results for the USB-C Port, i have to do some more tests, as the used test device runs into an endless loop.

Fond USB-A:

Fond USB-A

Some modern USB-C Power-Supply as Reference-Class (green means it is supported, red is unsupported):

A much better modern powersupply

Sources
[1] BC1.2 SDP/CDP/DCP Explained
[2] USB Battery Charging 1.2 Compliance Plan rev 1.0

Last edited:

marcusnilsson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Does this mean the factory standard usb ports deliver poor performance?

I have installed 12V sockets to Int 1 and Int 2, and will place a 130W usb-c/a adapter there. Will give me 1 100W USB-C port and one 30W usb-c OR 30W usb-a.

Not sure what I need all that power for as my iPhone maxes out fast charging at 30W.

As Clarkson says: MOOOORE POOOOWEEEER !

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
12:04 PM
Reaction score
I know that if you overload the USB charging then you have to unplug everything before it resets. You get a warning dialogue on the infotainment screen.

2 iPads, an iPhone and a brick Mophie were too much for poor old Grenny.

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
12:04 PM
Reaction score
1100 watts USB-C? You're kidding, right? I think the wires would melt. The biggest draw I can think of for me is charging three Mavic 3 drone batteries at once or my MacBook Pro. One 100 watt port is quite adequate for that. What are you doing, cooking steaks?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:04 PM
Reaction score
1100 watts USB-C? You're kidding, right? I think the wires would melt. The biggest draw I can think of for me is charging three Mavic 3 drone batteries at once or my MacBook Pro. One 100 watt port is quite adequate for that. What are you doing, cooking steaks?
Re read that... 1 100w :ROFLMAO:

angstorms

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
2:04 PM
Reaction score
USB-C If you want to geek out on USB-C and USB x.x power good document from TI, https://www.ti.com/lit/wp/slyy109b/...32040&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Note 100 watts is normal for PD 3.0 spec. We just need to understand what USB device spec is being supported. You can see 1.2 spec USB-C is only 15 watts.

So no we not being screwed, what he showing are vendor specific extensions, aka Apple, Samsung, etc

Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 5.58.01 PM.png

Now there is newer spec USB PD 3.1, but you need to increase the voltage to hit higher power. from the USB Spec site. https://www.usb.org/usb-charger-pd
Note I work in Semi business.

USB Power Delivery offers the following features:​

• Increased power levels from existing USB standardsup to 240W.
    • New 28V, 36V, and 48V fixed voltages enable up to 140W, 180W and 240W power levels, respectively.
    • An adjustable voltage supply mode allows the device being powered an ability to request intermediate voltages between 15V and up to the maximum available fixed voltage of the charger.
  • Power direction is no longer fixed. This enables the product with the power (Host or Peripheral) to provide the power.

marcusnilsson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

1 x 100 W 😝

Back
Top Bottom