The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Aussies-- Any Input Appreciated!

Local time
12:16 AM
Reaction score
Hello,

My wife and I have resigned from our full-time jobs, effective in Jan '24 (Pharmacist and Industrial Projects Salesman, respectively) which for me was easy since I was ready to find another job, but my wife took some convincing. We have also received Working Holiday Visas in Australia, so we will be moving there for several months. We figured that with no house, no kids, and no pets, when would there be a better time to travel? With Australia in the top our list on places to visit (the outback and adventure travel has captured our imagination), and the visa application relatively simple, the decision was easy.

Where we will live depends on where I end up getting a job (more on that in a moment), but we are interested in Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney, and quite open to any place beyond those three areas.

As for work, I have been networking with those in my industry (temporary structures) and figured I would reach out here as well. Also, an Australian head hunter pointed in the direction of SEEK Jobs, a mobile application that makes it relatively simple to find jobs. My hope is to find a job in Fire Protection, Fire Sprinklers Installation or fire fighting technology-- This is an area I see huge opportunity for in the United States and when I return, I'd like to start my own business. I learn by doing and can turn a wrench-- my main concern is experience, not pay.

My request is for any local perspective that you are willing to share:
  • Networking for work
  • Places to visit (or not to visit)
  • Things off the beaten path
  • Unwritten rules of Australia
  • Anything I have not covered above
We do plan on buying a vehicle (LC 100 or similar) that is a fair price (Ha!) to help with getting out to Perth and up to the North.

We are very excited for this trip, recognize we have a LOT to do to prepare, and when we return, the Grenadier will be in our Driveway (Q1-2 delivery).

Wow! That was a long read-- apologies to those scrolling on a narrow phone.
Thank you in advance for any input, suggestions and tips!
Please DM me as well if you'd rather.

Cheers,
Ethan

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:16 PM
Reaction score
Where we will live depends on where I end up getting a job (more on that in a moment), but we are interested in Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney and Perth, and quite open to any place beyond those three areas.
fixed it for ya ☝️
My hope is to find a job in Fire Protection, Fire Sprinklers Installation or fire fighting technology
business is booming 🔥

Good Luck!

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:16 PM
Reaction score
ADELAIDE- SA
When you visit Adelaide make sure these are on your list:
  1. Barossa Valley;
  2. Flinders Ranges (including Arkaroola and here, Wilpena Pound and Rawnsley Park Station/Ranch)
  3. Kangaroo Island a few hours from Adelaide. I have a big write up here and here;
  4. Also do the Fleurieu Peninsula when you go to Kangaroo Island;
  5. Perhaps a Simpson Desert Crossing (I suggest a tag along tour for this). The Simpson Desert is closed in Summer (which would be winter in the US);
  6. Add in Lake Eyre as part of any Outback trip.
That should do for starters.

Arkaroola
Ark.jpg

Yellow footed Rock Wallaby (Flinders Ranges not far from Arkaroola)
YeloowFooted-Hains-0002TopazON1.jpg

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
OUTBACK DRIVING TIPS
I have traveled remotely a lot, here are some tips of Outback Driving here.

Do an offload driving course in the USA or when you come to Australia.

PLB
When traveling remote take a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) or Sat phone (mobile/cell phones are of limited use when remote).

UHF
Fit an Australian model 80 channel UHF to your car when going remote. Some UHF channel information here and here.

Australia is about 3% smaller than the US mainland, but the States and Territories are huge, even compared to Texas, esp Western Australia (WA), South Australia (SA), Queensland (Qld), New South Wales (NSW) and the Northern Territory (NT).

TRAILER/CARAVAN
If you are taking a trailer/caravan remotely, some tips here.

We drive on the left side of the road, opposite to the USA.

Last edited:

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Keep in mind central Oz / outback between January and March is going to be bloody hot and I’d suggest not visiting then.

And whilst you named all those dodgy southern capitals, you left out the best city to live in - Brisbane. 😉

Interms of finding work, also look at Jobs in LinkedIn

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
WET SEASON IN NORTHERN AUSTRALIA
When planning remember the West Season in Australia’s North is December to February/March. That is also the cyclone season. The heat, humidity and rain can make travel off the bitumen difficult. It is a better time to work (preferably in air-conditioned premises).

Local time
Reaction score
Thank you, @TheDocAUS! Helpful suggestions. Taking notes on all of the places you listed. I do have a PLB that I’ll bring, too. @bigleonski Our plan is to arrive in Feb, work for several months and then around June begin traveling around the whole country in whatever vehicle we buy (something reliable for the outback). We may end up in Brisbane-- who knows!

One thing that has really struck me is that where I live in Wyoming, about 9 out of 10 people I speak with about this have either 1) Lived In Australia 2) Studied in Australia 3) Kids live/work there now. Did not expect it to be this common here! Everyone has had nothing but fantastic things to say.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Some the iconic Aussie trips include:

CAPE YORK
Cape York (Northern Queensland), a trip to the most northerly part of Australia. During peak tourist season it can be very busy, by road. I was short on time, so I chartered a helicopter and did it in four days – but what a trip it was! Reports and photos here. I also visited AWC’s Piccaninny Plains in the central part of Cape York.
Cape-York-HeliTrip-Day-1-0015.jpg

Near the tip of Cape York, eastern side
Cape-York-HeliTrip-Day-2-0293.jpg

My motor on the trip, at Captain Billy Goat falls from memory. I had an amazing pilot :)
Cape-York-HeliTrip-Day-2-0158.jpg

KIMBERLEY AND THE PILBARA
The Kimberley (North West Western Australia). A must do location. I spent about 7 weeks on the Gibb River Road, I visited Mitchell Falls, Derby, Broome, Mornington Sanctuary (sunsets here), Charnley River Station, the Bungle Bungles and the Horizontal Water Falls. When in Derby I spent 2 days in a helicopter in the Kimberley, including flying down the Charnley River Gorge. I then headed off to The Pilbara. The Pilbara is a must-see location (but often missed) including Port Hedland and Port Dampier. I started the trip in Katherine on my way to Kununurra, report and photos here.

Image from the Bungles Bungles
Kimberley-Bungles-Apr-RAW-2015-0062.jpg

Pilbara
Pilbara-RAW-2015-0258_stitch.jpg

Bell Gorge
Bell-Gorge-The-Kimberley-0007.jpg

THE TERRITORY
The Northern Territory, especially Kakadu, Uluru and Kings Canyon. These have become very commerialsied in recent years. So I chartered that helicopter again flew over Arnhem Land and Kakadu instead -the images are very unique. For me places to visit include Corroborate Billabong which has amazing birdlife and the largest concentration of crocodiles in the world. Also Newhaven in Central Australia here and here. When visiting Alice Springs make sure you visit the East MacDonnell Ranges, the West MacDonnell Ranges and the Devils Marbles.
Mann River Gorge
DarwinArnhemLand-0293.jpg

Arnham Land Escarpment
DarwinArnhemLand-2667.jpg

The Painted Valley
Northern-Territory-2017-3470.jpg

SIMPSON DESERT CROSSING
See above.
NSW Trip Simpson May 2014 - 1376.jpg

VICTORIAN HIGH COUNTRY
Never visited the place. I am sure some else can add the details.

LORD HOWE ISLAND (NSW)
The most beautiful place I have visited is Lord Howe Island, off the New South Wales Coast. It is not a cheap place to visit (like any Island) but it is amazing. Australia’s version of Bora Bora. Information here. My images here.
Raw00367_stitch-1-scaled.jpg

LHI-Feb-09-1799-copy-2.jpg

NEW ZEALAND
OK not part of Australia but worth a trip across the Tasman Sea. Especially the South Island. A complete contrast to Australian landscapes (except Tasmania). Multiple reports and images here.
IMGP2532_stitch-denoise.jpg

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@TheDocAUS wow! Comprehensive. Did you take the photos you’ve included?
Yes, all of them - on The Doc's Excellent Adventure!

Lots more information and images at the links I added throughout the text.

I need the INEOS to continue the Excellent Adventure.

Stott-Roadtrip-RAW-0623.jpg

IMG_8189.jpg

Last edited:

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:16 AM
Reaction score
Hello,

My wife and I have resigned from our full-time jobs, effective in Jan '24 (Pharmacist and Industrial Projects Salesman, respectively) which for me was easy since I was ready to find another job, but my wife took some convincing. We have also received Working Holiday Visas in Australia, so we will be moving there for several months. We figured that with no house, no kids, and no pets, when would there be a better time to travel? With Australia in the top our list on places to visit (the outback and adventure travel has captured our imagination), and the visa application relatively simple, the decision was easy.

Where we will live depends on where I end up getting a job (more on that in a moment), but we are interested in Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney, and quite open to any place beyond those three areas.

As for work, I have been networking with those in my industry (temporary structures) and figured I would reach out here as well. Also, an Australian head hunter pointed in the direction of SEEK Jobs, a mobile application that makes it relatively simple to find jobs. My hope is to find a job in Fire Protection, Fire Sprinklers Installation or fire fighting technology-- This is an area I see huge opportunity for in the United States and when I return, I'd like to start my own business. I learn by doing and can turn a wrench-- my main concern is experience, not pay.

My request is for any local perspective that you are willing to share:
  • Networking for work
  • Places to visit (or not to visit)
  • Things off the beaten path
  • Unwritten rules of Australia
  • Anything I have not covered above
We do plan on buying a vehicle (LC 100 or similar) that is a fair price (Ha!) to help with getting out to Perth and up to the North.

We are very excited for this trip, recognize we have a LOT to do to prepare, and when we return, the Grenadier will be in our Driveway (Q1-2 delivery).

Wow! That was a long read-- apologies to those scrolling on a narrow phone.
Thank you in advance for any input, suggestions and tips!
Please DM me as well if you'd rather.

Cheers,
Ethan
You lost me at the line where you state Adelaide / Sydney / Melbourne. Smart people from those cities are moving to QLD in droves. I would recommend my state but with the distaster of a Health System that our today resigned Premier has left - it is up to you!

Personally, I would go for the Sunshine Coast... enjoy the best of life, nature and beaches.

Just my 2 cents.

Local time
3:46 PM
Reaction score
Every time I do a remote trip I find a new favourite place in whatever state or territory. I think we are spoilt in Australia, and Australia being approximately the same size as the 48 US lower states with only 7% of the US population the Australian continent still has remote natural environments in tact.
If I had to choose a favourite place I would go with Arnham Land as it is even remote for Australia, and very beautiful.
Fishing in Arnham Land has to be experienced to be believed, I am not a very good "terrible" fisherman, but their fish seem to have suicidal tendencies, after fishing for a short while I worked out I didn't need to waste time baiting the hooks.
There is a lot of fish, and they don't seem to be very street wise, so a good feed in about 5 minutes for an unskilled fisherman.

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
…and although lots of peole are passionate about where they live, if you have an inkling to visit adl/mel/syd, follow your curiosity and scratch that itch. Yes, there’s migration to parts of qld, but there;s lots of smart people who dont do that either. And less smart people who do too😂 Aussies move around a lot less than is typical in the states*, so there can be less awareness of the relative pleasures of our capitals. They really are a long way apart, and have their differences, especially climate, but the overall culture is not hugely different between cities. Probably more different within different parts of each city than it is between different capitals.

but the weather tropes are real.

*I mean change where they live. Really common to move for work in the US, relatively few people ever change the state they live in here. Bit of a drift from vic and slightly less nsw to Qld (usually retirement to warmth) and also to Tas, paradoxically not warm.

Last edited:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
If you dislike biblical storms , cyclones , heatwave after heatwave, crocodiles , snakes, mosquito borne encephalitis and crowds , you can also sample the delights of Tasmania. Geologically related to western NA, back in the day, however retaining gondwanaland ecology.

Local time
Reaction score
If I had to choose a favourite place I would go with Arnham Land as it is even remote for Australia, and very beautiful.
Fishing in Arnham Land has to be experienced to be believed, I am not a very good "terrible" fisherman, but their fish seem to have suicidal tendencies, after fishing for a short while I worked out I didn't need to waste time baiting the hooks.
There is a lot of fish, and they don't seem to be very street wise, so a good feed in about 5 minutes for an unskilled fisherman.
We do both love fishing, my wife even more so than me. We have put this down on our list!

Back
Top Bottom