The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Aussies-- Any Input Appreciated!

LeftCoastOverland

Production/Transit
Local time
7:37 PM
Reaction score
Some more follow up here,
For those of you who haven’t read a post I made on the “what do you do for a living thread” I’ll sum it up. I’m arriving in Brisbane Mid February of 2024 and taking delivery of a Grenadier hopefully in March.
My plan is to drive with my family from Brisbane to Tasmania seeing the sights and looking for employment and a new place to settle along the way.

I’ve placed my Grenadier order with SLRV, and have had good traction up until now. In the past 6 weeks I’ve been emailing the dealer for a quote on installation of some items to the vehicle so it’s turn key and ready when I take delivery. Relatively easy things… fridge, drawers, UHF radio, new tires, and some of their components installed and ready. Shouldn’t be more than $10K in materials and labor. But again after 5 or 6 weeks of little response and absolutely zero traction I’m starting to have second thoughts about continuing with SLRV after the truck is delivered and I drive it off the lot. I’ll just as much take it across the street to a different outfitter and pay them to help me out.

My question to everyone here is, have you ever dealt with SLRV in the past? Are they reputable or am I being ignored?

And if I do switch gears to a different outfit to help with what I need getting the Grenadier ready for touring, Do you have any recommendations in the Brisbane area?

To caveat this, I’ve commissioned Drifta Stockton to fabricate my drawers and fridge slide, which is scheduled to be built and installed end of March. Glad I did, because of the 4 month lead time.

I may just end up doing the rest my self.
Let me know what you think!
Thanks

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
SLRV have a good reputation.

I am aware that INEOS Australia has been flat out trying to have as many Grenadiers as possible delivered by Christmas. My dealer in Sydney is flat out and hard to reach. The same maybe happening to SLRV. This is common in the weeks leading to Christmas in Australia. I am having a similar problem with a supplier in Sydney. Things improve at the end of summer (January). Book early.

Accelerate Off-Grid Touring are good but are based in Maroochydore, not Brisbane.

LeftCoastOverland

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
SLRV have a good reputation.

I am aware that INEOS Australia has been flat out trying to have as many Grenadiers as possible delivered by Christmas. My dealer in Sydney is flat out and hard to reach. The same maybe happening to SLRV. This is common in the weeks leading to Christmas in Australia. I am having a similar problem with a supplier in Sydney. Things improve at the end of summer (January). Book early.

Accelerate Off-Grid Touring are good but are based in Maroochydore, not Brisbane.
Ok, good to know. I appreciate the insight and will patiently wait until after the new year until I bend their ear again.
Thanks!

Reactions: Max

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Before you leave Brisbane and head south, there’s lots to see in Queensland first.

Two must sees in my opinion ar Fraser Island where you can drive on and camp on the beach (4 hours drive north of Brisbane), and Carnarvon Gorge (a full days drive west). Both of which you could spend three or four days exploring. Obviously lots more, but I’d mark these as highlights.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:37 PM
Reaction score
Hello,

My wife and I have resigned from our full-time jobs, effective in Jan '24 (Pharmacist and Industrial Projects Salesman, respectively) which for me was easy since I was ready to find another job, but my wife took some convincing. We have also received Working Holiday Visas in Australia, so we will be moving there for several months. We figured that with no house, no kids, and no pets, when would there be a better time to travel? With Australia in the top our list on places to visit (the outback and adventure travel has captured our imagination), and the visa application relatively simple, the decision was easy.

Where we will live depends on where I end up getting a job (more on that in a moment), but we are interested in Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney, and quite open to any place beyond those three areas.

As for work, I have been networking with those in my industry (temporary structures) and figured I would reach out here as well. Also, an Australian head hunter pointed in the direction of SEEK Jobs, a mobile application that makes it relatively simple to find jobs. My hope is to find a job in Fire Protection, Fire Sprinklers Installation or fire fighting technology-- This is an area I see huge opportunity for in the United States and when I return, I'd like to start my own business. I learn by doing and can turn a wrench-- my main concern is experience, not pay.

My request is for any local perspective that you are willing to share:
  • Networking for work
  • Places to visit (or not to visit)
  • Things off the beaten path
  • Unwritten rules of Australia
  • Anything I have not covered above
We do plan on buying a vehicle (LC 100 or similar) that is a fair price (Ha!) to help with getting out to Perth and up to the North.

We are very excited for this trip, recognize we have a LOT to do to prepare, and when we return, the Grenadier will be in our Driveway (Q1-2 delivery).

Wow! That was a long read-- apologies to those scrolling on a narrow phone.
Thank you in advance for any input, suggestions and tips!
Please DM me as well if you'd rather.

Cheers,
Ethan
One thing to take into consideration is distance and seasons, don't go north in summer, as it's hot/cyclones and unbearably humid southin winter is cool and wet. There is plenty of work in almost all fields of your chosen careers so I don't see an issue with that. But time is another factor. Several months will not see you seeing most of the East Coast and if you want to go west you'll need many more, remembering just the state if Western Australia has 3.1 million sq klms. (Mostly full of desert/bush etc) but arguably THE best beaches in the world. 😀
Unwritten rules- don't be a dick. 😊
Wear sunscreen and get used to flies being part of your everyday experience 😉

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Some more follow up here,
For those of you who haven’t read a post I made on the “what do you do for a living thread” I’ll sum it up. I’m arriving in Brisbane Mid February of 2024 and taking delivery of a Grenadier hopefully in March.
My plan is to drive with my family from Brisbane to Tasmania seeing the sights and looking for employment and a new place to settle along the way.

I’ve placed my Grenadier order with SLRV, and have had good traction up until now. In the past 6 weeks I’ve been emailing the dealer for a quote on installation of some items to the vehicle so it’s turn key and ready when I take delivery. Relatively easy things… fridge, drawers, UHF radio, new tires, and some of their components installed and ready. Shouldn’t be more than $10K in materials and labor. But again after 5 or 6 weeks of little response and absolutely zero traction I’m starting to have second thoughts about continuing with SLRV after the truck is delivered and I drive it off the lot. I’ll just as much take it across the street to a different outfitter and pay them to help me out.

My question to everyone here is, have you ever dealt with SLRV in the past? Are they reputable or am I being ignored?

And if I do switch gears to a different outfit to help with what I need getting the Grenadier ready for touring, Do you have any recommendations in the Brisbane area?

To caveat this, I’ve commissioned Drifta Stockton to fabricate my drawers and fridge slide, which is scheduled to be built and installed end of March. Glad I did, because of the 4 month lead time.

I may just end up doing the rest my self.
Let me know what you think!
Thanks
I've noticed that emails to Ric there often go unanswered and I have needed to follow up with a direct phone call. The last three emails to him have not gotten a response and when I was physically in there he had to go looking for them buried way down in his email inbox - so they definitely weren't going to spam. I get the feeling he's a talk on the phone (or text message) kind of guy which will makes things interesting with your time difference.

LeftCoastOverland

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Before you leave Brisbane and head south, there’s lots to see in Queensland first.

Two must sees in my opinion ar Fraser Island where you can drive on and camp on the beach (4 hours drive north of Brisbane), and Carnarvon Gorge (a full days drive west). Both of which you could spend three or four days exploring. Obviously lots more, but I’d mark these as highlights.
Both of those spots are definitely on my list! I plan to spend minimum of 4 weeks in the greater Brisbane area exploring before headed south. Thanks for the tips 🤙

LeftCoastOverland

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
I've noticed that emails to Ric there often go unanswered and I have needed to follow up with a direct phone call. The last three emails to him have not gotten a response and when I was physically in there he had to go looking for them buried way down in his email inbox - so they definitely weren't going to spam. I get the feeling he's a talk on the phone (or text message) kind of guy which will makes things interesting with your time difference.
Ok glad to know I’m not the only one. I’ll try Ric again once more before the Christmas break and then try again in the New year. Knowing he’s flaky with emails makes me feel better, though.
Thanks!

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ok glad to know I’m not the only one. I’ll try Ric again once more before the Christmas break and then try again in the New year. Knowing he’s flaky with emails makes me feel better, though.
Thanks!

Perhaps copy in their generic email address as well - I’d guess it gets more attention.

info@slrvexpedition.com.au

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
…and although lots of peole are passionate about where they live, if you have an inkling to visit adl/mel/syd, follow your curiosity and scratch that itch. Yes, there’s migration to parts of qld, but there;s lots of smart people who dont do that either. And less smart people who do too😂 Aussies move around a lot less than is typical in the states*, so there can be less awareness of the relative pleasures of our capitals. They really are a long way apart, and have their differences, especially climate, but the overall culture is not hugely different between cities. Probably more different within different parts of each city than it is between different capitals.

but the weather tropes are real.

*I mean change where they live. Really common to move for work in the US, relatively few people ever change the state they live in here. Bit of a drift from vic and slightly less nsw to Qld (usually retirement to warmth) and also to Tas, paradoxically not warm.
I grew up in QLD and still have a holiday house in Qld, Sunshine coast and may well retire back up there. Have also lived in Melbourne and now live in Sydney. They all good un their own ways. I would say that Sydney is fantastic if you can live by the water, but many suburbs are pretty dire and depressing and the traffic is crap and everything about living is expensive, particularly in the nice parts. Melbourne is fantastic for culture and food etc, but if its outdoor life you crave, the weather is variable and it’s another big expensive city. I would encourage Adelaide or Brisbane/Sunshine coast for more reasonable costs of living and easier access to the outdoors and cool places to see.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
SNAKE BITE KIT
Have a Snake Bite Kit in the car, or part of your broader Medical Kit. I have a separate Snake Bite Kit within easy reach.

Keep anyone bitten immobile as that will limit how fast the poison spreads within their body. Take a photo of the snake if possible, and show medical staff.

Treat all snakes as poisonous unless you know for sure they are not. I keep my distance unless I am with a snake expert, when I follow their advice.

Move slowly away from any snake, try to avoid sudden movements, and give way to the snake!

However, if you step on a snake, you may need to move fast.

Guide on snake bites here. Video advice here:
View: https://youtu.be/cM3BAdHc9g4?t=192

MEDICAL KIT
The remoter you go the larger your Medical Kit should be. The Royal Flying Doctor Service does service many remote Towns and Stations/Ranches. So, you need a SAT Phone or PLB if traveling alone in remote areas. Support the RFDS if you can.

CROCODILES
There are two types of crocodile in Northern Australia, Freshwater Crocodiles and Saltwater Crocodiles (aka Salties or Estuarine Crocodiles or just crocs). Both are dangerous but salties can be deadly, as they can take and kill an adult human (and grown cattle).

Salties are ambush predators, masters at hiding their presence even from the most alert person. As a matter of course they can be present in fresh or salt water above the Tropic of Capricorn in Northern Australia (actually higher but I like to be wary early). I assume they are present in all water, unless a local tells me otherwise. One reason Bushguide was wearing a Smith & Wesson Model 29 .44 Magnum hand gun on his Bush Tucker adventures (also for feral pigs and buffalo).

I never walk closer than 5 metres to the water’s edge. Salties are quicker than a human over short distances so you need a head start.

You can get closer to a Freshwater croc because they cannot kill a human (their jaw is not strong enough), but they can give you a very nasty bite, even more so for children. Treat them with respect and follow warning signs.

This is a freshwater croc next to my safari tent on Piccaninny Plains, Cape York, Queensland.
AWC PP Aug 2014 Canon RAW - 0165F_Radiant.jpg

Freshwater croc on Lake Argle, The Kimberly, Western Australia.
Kimberley Apr 2015 RAW - 0358_Radiant.jpg

Medium size Salty at Corroboree Billabong, Northern Territory.
Northern Territory 2017 -  4949_Radiant.jpg

14 foot Salty out of the helicopter’s door on Cape York, Queensland. That salty is in the ocean, heavily stained by tannins.
Cape York HeliTrip Day 2 - 0079_Radiant.jpg

BOX JELLY FISH
At certain times of year, there are Box Jellyfish in Northern Australian Waters. They are highly poisonous. Swim only in designated areas, unless you are in a full wetsuit – even then be careful and take local advice. More information here.

Last edited:

LeftCoastOverland

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
SNAKE BITE KIT
Have a Snake Bite Kit in the car, or part of your broader Medical Kit. I have a separate Snake Bite Kit within easy reach.

Keep anyone bitten immobile as that will limit how fast the poison spreads within their body. Take a photo of the snake if possible, and show medical staff.

Treat all snakes as poisonous unless you know for sure they are not. I keep my distance unless I am with a snake expert, when I follow their advice.

Move slowly away from any snake, try to avoid sudden movements, and give way to the snake!

MEDICAL KIT
The remoter you go the larger your Medical Kit should be. The Royal Flying Doctor Service does service many remote Towns and Stations/Ranches. So, you need a SAT Phone or PLB if traveling alone in remote areas. Support the RFDS if you can.

CROCODILES
There are two types of crocodile in Northern Australia, Freshwater Crocodiles and Saltwater Crocodiles (aka Salties or Estuarine Crocodiles or just crocs). Both are dangerous but salties can be deadly, as they can take and kill an adult human (and grown cattle).

Salties are ambush predators, masters at hiding their presence even from the most alert person. As a matter of course they can be present in fresh or salt water above the Tropic of Capricorn in Northern Australia (actually higher but I like to be wary early). I assume they are present in all water, unless a local tells me otherwise. One reason Bushguide was wearing a Smith & Wesson Model 29 .44 Magnum hand gun on his Bush Tucker adventures (also for feral pigs and buffalo).

I never walk closer than 5 metres to the water’s edge. Salties are quicker than a human over short distances so you need a head start.

You can get closer to a Freshwater croc because they cannot kill a human (their jaw is not strong enough), but they can give you a very nasty bite, even more so for children. Treat them with respect and follow warning signs.

This is a freshwater croc next to my safari tent on Piccaninny Plains, Cape York, Queensland.
View attachment 7836128

View attachment 7836130

View attachment 7836131

14 foot Salty out of the helicopter’s door on Cape York, Queensland. That salty is in the ocean, heavily stained by tannins.
View attachment 7836132

BOX JELLY FISH
At certain times of year, there are Box Jellyfish in Northern Australian Waters. They are highly poisonous. Swim only in designated areas, unless you are in a full wetsuit – even then be careful and take local advice. More information here.
Thanks for the great safety advice.
Funny timing, I just posted about my medical/snakebite kit on a different thread a couple hours back.

Local time
10:37 AM
Reaction score
SNAKE BITE KIT

MEDICAL KIT

CROCODILES

View attachment 7836128

View attachment 7836130

View attachment 7836131

View attachment 7836132

BOX JELLY FISH
In the North Queensland rainforests not only the reptiles, birds, fish and insects are out to get you the plants will too, Gympie-Gympie, Dendrocnide moroides, can give a very nasty sting with it's many fine hollow tubes that stick into your skin and allow air under the skin. This varying pain can last for 12 months. It has no known medication and the best treatment is waxing.

gympie gympie.jpg

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In the North Queensland rainforests not only the reptiles, birds, fish and insects are out to get you the plants will too, Gympie-Gympie, Dendrocnide moroides, can give a very nasty sting that is actually not a sting, it's many fine hollow tube that stick into your skin that allows air under the skin to cause pain. This varying pain can last for 12 months. It has no known medication and the best treatment is waxing.View attachment 7836155
The horror stories about Gympie Gympie are legendary, especially the 2 army guys using it toilet paper 🧻 🔥😱

Local time
3:37 AM
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I would like to thank everyone who reached out with their input and suggestions. I am very grateful for the guidance being in a wonderful new country.

So, my wife and I have now been in Sydney for a bit over a week taking care of some housekeeping before we begin our travels around the continent. We are the proud new owners of a not so new HiLux-- Love the truck, err... I mean-- love the Ute. Nice small diesel set up with drawers, bed cap with roof rails, a working radio, lights and bull bar.

While we are in Sydney (and for that matter, the entire country) we are open to meeting anyone that would like to grab a latte (I'm told that's what everyone drinks here) or a beer-- That is part of the fun of travel-- meeting new people. Just send me a DM.

Once we have acquired a roof top tent and a fridge/ good quality cooler (open to brand suggestions here as it is mostly unheard of brands to me-- Kings seems to be popular?), we are planning on staring the travels clockwise, so first heading towards Melbourne as to avoid the heat up North.

Kind regards,
EthanIMG_7083.jpg
IMG_7093.jpg

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I would like to thank everyone who reached out with their input and suggestions. I am very grateful for the guidance being in a wonderful new country.

So, my wife and I have now been in Sydney for a bit over a week taking care of some housekeeping before we begin our travels around the continent. We are the proud new owners of a not so new HiLux-- Love the truck, err... I mean-- love the Ute. Nice small diesel set up with drawers, bed cap with roof rails, a working radio, lights and bull bar.

While we are in Sydney (and for that matter, the entire country) we are open to meeting anyone that would like to grab a latte (I'm told that's what everyone drinks here) or a beer-- That is part of the fun of travel-- meeting new people. Just send me a DM.

Once we have acquired a roof top tent and a fridge/ good quality cooler (open to brand suggestions here as it is mostly unheard of brands to me-- Kings seems to be popular?), we are planning on staring the travels clockwise, so first heading towards Melbourne as to avoid the heat up North.

Kind regards,
EthanView attachment 7846160
View attachment 7846161
Welcome, I'd love to catch up but it's a 4 day drive. If you are heading West let me know. On the subject of fridges, I'd avoid Kings personally as they are cheap, go for an Engel or Bushman, Dometic etc. The last thing you need is hot beer and ruined food 500klms from anywhere.
Great setup BTW, ever reliable Hilux 👏
Do you have dual batteries?
**Coffee- latte' is too fancy for some people :LOL:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom