The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

AUS Diesel Trialmaster - Staying within weight limits

Korg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:12 PM
Reaction score
Just doing some calcs today ☹️. With the payload for the diesel Trialmaster stated in the manual at 689kg it is almost impossible to stay within limits if you want a roof rack, carry extra fuel and have a draw system, awning, 40 litres of water and fridge plus tools etc. and a vehicle that can be used for Touring with an off-road caravan and Overlanding without without major re-configuration of the car between travel modes to manage weight limits.

An Overlanding configuration for the Canning Stock Route including only a single driver adds up to around 651kg of payload without any consideration as to whether the factory fitted bull bar or rock sliders are included in the payload allowance or not. 651kg includes 174 litres of diesel, which at an assumed 17 l/100 will just provide the range to get to the next fuel stop. All ok unless you want to take the wife who probably weighs more than 40kg. Now if you want to go Touring with the wife and take an offroad dual axle caravan at 3,000 kg fully loaded then you need to move all extra fuel and water from car to van, delete the drawer system in the car, along with the fridge and awning and leave the roof rack empty. That would leave around 90kg spare car payload after an assumed Tow Ball Mass of 270kg.
A 4,000 GVM would of course fix this first world problem - anyone done this yet east coast Australia?
Anyone got any suggestions other than to find a really skinny wife or to purchase an additional Grenadier for her?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:12 PM
Reaction score
Just doing some calcs today ☹️. With the payload for the diesel Trialmaster stated in the manual at 689kg it is almost impossible to stay within limits if you want a roof rack, carry extra fuel and have a draw system, awning, 40 litres of water and fridge plus tools etc. and a vehicle that can be used for Touring with an off-road caravan and Overlanding without without major re-configuration of the car between travel modes to manage weight limits.

An Overlanding configuration for the Canning Stock Route including only a single driver adds up to around 651kg of payload without any consideration as to whether the factory fitted bull bar or rock sliders are included in the payload allowance or not. 651kg includes 174 litres of diesel, which at an assumed 17 l/100 will just provide the range to get to the next fuel stop. All ok unless you want to take the wife who probably weighs more than 40kg. Now if you want to go Touring with the wife and take an offroad dual axle caravan at 3,000 kg fully loaded then you need to move all extra fuel and water from car to van, delete the drawer system in the car, along with the fridge and awning and leave the roof rack empty. That would leave around 90kg spare car payload after an assumed Tow Ball Mass of 270kg.
A 4,000 GVM would of course fix this first world problem - anyone done this yet east coast Australia?
Anyone got any suggestions other than to find a really skinny wife or to purchase an additional Grenadier for her?
The weight of the vehicle as listed includes 90% fuel so there is 80kg extra.
don't use the incredibly heavy factory roof rack
Don't tow a 3 tonne caravan across the canning stock route.
you need more than 40 litres of water

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:12 PM
Reaction score
other than to find a really skinny wife or to purchase an additional Grenadier for her?
You could buy her a bicycle.

A mountain bike, of course. 🤷‍♂️

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:12 AM
Reaction score
You could buy her a bicycle.

A mountain bike, of course. 🤷‍♂️
An electric mountain bike. But don't forget the solar panels to charge it

Local time
12:12 PM
Reaction score
I think the problem is, every vehicle you set up (with barely any exceptions) has exactly the same problem unless you do a GVM upgrade.
So I wonder if the real problem is the regulations we have?
It would be the 3500kg license regultations for Europe. Most car manufactures are not going to make a car that fully suits Australia if the numbers sold sre so low

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Getting mine weighed with van at Cruisemaster in couple of weeks and will report back. Went to the dump scales for an idea and with me @78kg was 3020kg. Trialmaster with bar and winch, x3 small exterior lights, brake controller, rear mirror, ctek250, uhf/antenna and a little bit of wiring - left the tow tongue at home so add another 5kg I guess. Upgrade would be welcome as van has ball of 240kg, not much left really for drawers, tools, fridge, awning... and missus....

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:12 AM
Reaction score
An electric mountain bike. But don't forget the solar panels to charge it
It's a bike. Why not have a pedal charge generator for the electric motor to power it? ;)

Local time
11:12 PM
Reaction score
Getting mine weighed with van at Cruisemaster in couple of weeks and will report back. Went to the dump scales for an idea and with me @78kg was 3020kg. Trialmaster with bar and winch, x3 small exterior lights, brake controller, rear mirror, ctek250, uhf/antenna and a little bit of wiring - left the tow tongue at home so add another 5kg I guess. Upgrade would be welcome as van has ball of 240kg, not much left really for drawers, tools, fridge, awning... and missus....
but doesnt the grenadier have a very good GCM?? You just have to have most of the stuff i the van

Local time
Reaction score
I think the problem is, every vehicle you set up (with barely any exceptions) has exactly the same problem unless you do a GVM upgrade.
the regulations have been there for a while. I think it is misleading marketing from vehicle and van manufacturers.

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Or maybe it’s not reasonable for two people to drag tons and tons of crap across the open desert with complete ease?

Not helpful I know, but this is an exceptional usage case, and maybe shouldn’t be couched in terms of either the base vehicle (or the road authority) being problematic …

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
but doesnt the grenadier have a very good GCM?? You just have to have most of the stuff i the van
Don't think I'm exceptional but travel off grid with van and then travel little more with vehicle = in back of car have drawers, fridge, couple solar panels, some food and water, awning not much else. Vans tare is 2400kg thereabouts but able to carry 300 litres water for long stays, starts to add up real quick but around 3.1t loaded.. GCM is fine. Be handy another couple of hundred for the I.G.s GVM. Surely no one would argue a little more payload out of the box wouldn't have been a bad thing?

Local time
Reaction score
Don't think I'm exceptional but travel off grid with van and then travel little more with vehicle = in back of car have drawers, fridge, couple solar panels, some food and water, awning not much else. Vans tare is 2400kg thereabouts but able to carry 300 litres water for long stays, starts to add up real quick but around 3.1t loaded.. GCM is fine. Be handy another couple of hundred for the I.G.s GVM. Surely no one would argue a little more payload out of the box wouldn't have been a bad thing?
agree...... I think the weight of the wagon has crept up on original concept esp the trialmaster

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:12 PM
Reaction score
You could go over loaded... that's what just about every single person I know has done on big trips (half or full Oz). This isn't legal advice and is only an opinion :whistle:

PetefromOZ

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score

It’s also worth checking your front and rear axle weight as well. There is not much headroom for additional weight on the front axle ( if you have a bullbar, winch, rock-sliders, any weight on the roof & 2 people you might get a surprise) whilst the rear axle has more available payload. If you are over weight on either your insurance is voided. Plastic tubs in the back is a lighter storage option than a shelving system. I have been working through the same challenge. The front axle load limit did have an influence on how I spec’d my vehicle.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Do what I'm doing, leaving her behind

Local time
7:12 AM
Reaction score

Dis you come up with a solution? I'm 90% decided to place an order for the Trialmaster as I intend traveling AUS for multiple years towing a van with a very similar setup to what you've described...I'm still tossing up between a LC (79 or 300 series) and the IG...heart is in IG but the GVM / GCM combo for what I want to do comes up with similar issues to exactly what you've described. Or is it a matter and wait and see if Lovells or Pedders create something for the IG?

Cheers
Goldy

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Meant to put my weights here sooner: Trialmaster, alloys, roobar and winch.

GVM 3220 kg (fridge, driver +1, few tools)
GVM with trailer attached 3498
GCM 6320
Front axle 1524 trailer attached
Rear axle 1974 trailer attached
Trailer/caravan ATM 3088 (Plated 3500)

A small GVM upgrade 10% up to axle loads would be ideal for my purposes. Should be do-able without changes to springs etc. Expedition HQ and DMW Toowoomba were investigating this possibility.

Back
Top Bottom