The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

ASPW drives the Grenadier

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:57 AM
Reaction score
He was pleasantly surprised.  

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:57 AM
Reaction score
Yeah - he was extremely positive given that he is one of the world's most exprienced builders of customised overlanders

About the only thing he was negative about was the positioning of the brake & accelerator pedal and the large left footrest (from RHD vehicles).

He said (at 1.58) the position of all three gave him a "strange driving position"; i.e. the brake pedal was where the accelerator should be.

The footrest does look very big and quite high, such that his left leg was raised up a long way.

Someone else on the forum has raised this issue but I cant remember where/who.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:57 AM
Reaction score
Yeah. I remember it coming up in a video and reply from driver being that it was not the final version. 
The Ineos guy said they would be directly in front not offset.
I have watched so many videos, including Spanish and Italian, which I don't speak.
You can see in the picture were their boots have been rubbing the door frame 

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
3:57 PM
Reaction score
I was waiting for his first look at the Grenadier. And I am surprised of his reaction: He seemed somewhat respectful, which I consider an unusual attitude for him.

I am very curious about his first drive behind the wheel.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:57 PM
Reaction score
Have been waiting for his review, quite relieved he was positive and has reinforced my decision to buy. Might have trouble sleeping tonight!

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
meant to ask if anyone has watched his extended Patreon version?

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
seems the extended one now removed off his website

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:57 AM
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing what he had to say about making it into an overlander, however i couldnt find that video at all (I know I will have to pay to watch it)

EDIT:
Found it, and paid for it.

ASPW doesn't think the Payload is high enough, and is quite disappointed, calling the Payload issue its Achilles Heel.

Well I know INEOS wont listen to me on this point, perhaps they listen to Andrew instead.Glad I am not the only one disappointed with the Payload.  I am sure Sir Jim is too.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
3:57 PM
Reaction score
DaveB said:
He does the most long winded and annoying reviews!!!

I agree, he is not exactly a diplomat. But although he's really annoying sometimes, he's mostly right. And he has a lot of experience.

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
He is a polarizing person for sure. His insights are valuable from a build ability standpoint. but I don’t see him as the last word..mainly because I see more and more sponsor bias creeping in his POVs (his older Africa videos are actually true gems), and lately he has been much too focused on interior comfort POvs. I’d love to hear more about mechanical sympathy, how to bridge reliability with modern electronics, technical driving etc. 

That being said experience is experience and can’t be under played and he has tons of it

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe I am biased because I am looking at the Grenadier as a two person (and primarily one person) travel vehicle. However the payload issue is a bit more blown out than needed. 
here is my rationale..

By all accounts the Grenadier is a smaller vehicle..but it’s very heavy because of the over built nature and modern safety needs. If it had a full metric ton payload and we stacked it to the gills, the total vehicle weight would be about 8200 lbs (Trialmaster Petrol base weight + 1000 kgs). That’s a crazy amount of weight on a shorter wheelbase vehicle. That’s going to impact vehicle dynamics and off-road ability. If the base vehicle weight was 5000 lbs or we had the Troopy spec at 5700-6000lbs kerb weight then maybe it would be a different conversation. 
But that’s wishful thinking. You can’t have light weight and overbuilt specs at the same time. Physics has to eventually win. So my approach is pack light and focus on essentials like fuel and water. Everything else is a luxury. 
Just a personal rationale and POV

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I have to agree with you.  I was thinking about this last night.  It seems like nowadays we are building a mini RV into a pickup/suv.  I'm included in that conversation.   In this build, I will be strategic in what the build look like.  

Local time
10:57 AM
Reaction score
I also think this first release is more for the lighter use of the vehicle, the pickup and possible other variants are more likely to be more loadable for those that need it, I just dont think this variant with a 90-Ltr tank is aimed at the real hardcore long distance overlander people, obviously it can be used, but maybe the LWB would / could be better.
It's a shame that a forward control vehicle wont likely be available like the old 101. Now that would be something else, but alas, safety concerns are likely to kill such a vehicle stone dead before it even gets off the drawing board.
101 with a signals body anyone?, oh yes.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:57 AM
Reaction score
The 90 litre fuel tank in the diesel also has a 17 litre adblue tank so clearly if you have the petrol version there is sufficient space for an extra 17 litre petrol tank as a minimum.
I would be stunned if there wasn't sufficient space for a 30-50 litre tank underneath between the rails of the ladder frame. 
As previously mentioned my local distributor said that was one thing already on their list to do. 
On the other side there will be many buyers (50%+) who are ok with a 90 litre tank. 
Not everyone plans on turning it into an overlander and crossing the Simpson desert.
I am more interested in accessories to mount to the utility rail and have just started designing a table/shelf system 

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
DaveB said:
The 90 litre fuel tank in the diesel also has a 17 litre adblue tank so clearly if you have the petrol version there is sufficient space for an extra 17 litre petrol tank as a minimum.
I would be stunned if there wasn't sufficient space for a 30-50 litre tank underneath between the rails of the ladder frame. 
As previously mentioned my local distributor said that was one thing already on their list to do. 
On the other side there will be many buyers (50%+) who are ok with a 90 litre tank. 
Not everyone plans on turning it into an overlander and crossing the Simpson desert.
I am more interested in accessories to mount to the utility rail and have just started designing a table/shelf system 

I've been looking at a lot of the Sprinter builds because the internal is L track seeing if something is premade.  

Back
Top Bottom