The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

3rd party Videos ASPW drives the Grenadier

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:21 AM
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more.

My Grenadier will mostly travel around southern Australia. A good friend is also buying a Grenadier - he lives in Stockholm and plans to drive his into the north of Sweden during winter!

His spec and mine are quite different

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
stickshifter said:
I think we can all recognize that people do different things, and use vehicles in different ways. How you travel, or what activities you pursue - well that's your own jam. It isn't relevant to what other folk do. The same goes for the vehicle options we want or don't want - its all climate-specific, region-specific, use-specific, or just based on personal preference.

Yes, Wine, women and cars we are all allowed to have different tastes. 

Please substitute
  • beverage of choice for wine 
  • Partner of choice for women
  • Vehicle of choice for cars

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
8:21 AM
Reaction score
DaveB said:
Yes but he allowed 65 kg for the roo bar and there is no chance it ways that much

and I’m assuming that the roo bar isn’t an add on to the original bumper. If it is it’s own unit then you need to take into account the weight difference between the two.  

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:21 AM
Reaction score
My understanding the too bar and side bars are all designed to bolt on to the existing bumper.  

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Stu_Barnes said:
and I’m assuming that the roo bar isn’t an add on to the original bumper. If it is it’s own unit then you need to take into account the weight difference between the two.  
Yes I checked the pictures and it definitely just bolts onto the original bumper. 
The bumpers is pretty heavy steel so it should be plenty tough enough. 
When you select the roo bar the only thing in the picture that changes is the bar work above the bumper. 
Normal SUV’s have a plastic or lightweight bumper so this wouldn’t work. 
The Grenadier bumper is bolted directly to the ladder frame 

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Payload varies between variants, however the GVM is indeed 3550kg across all variants.  ASPW got it wrong, as he was going off of the UK brochure.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I assume the diesel has 75kg less due to
  • the 19L + tank weight say 20kgs total for the add blue 
  • The heavier gearbox
  • Heavier drive shafts
  • The diesel motor is heavier than the petrol 

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:21 PM
Reaction score
was what I was thinking DaveB - also they probably take into account the 12kgs difference (subject density) a full tank of derv will weigh over it's lighter petrol version. Perhaps they allow only half a tank, either 'weigh' it takes a bit more from the diesel.

Sandman

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Does anyone know the difference, in weigh between steel and alloy wheels make,  x5 or possible x6 if you are carrying one on the roof. Would 10-15 Kg per wheel be right?

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I've asked Ineos this question twice now.. still waiting a response.  Hopefully will be received before contract is signed. ?

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The headline is misleading... they didn't let him drive it...he rode in the front passenger seat ...with a selfie photo frown which looks like he's about as happy as a passenger as he is sucking on a lemon! ?

What's more interesting is that the vehicle he's riding in has the same (State of Victoria) licence plate as the vehicle which was doing the rounds in the eastern States...but that vehicle  sported a different paint job...it was Scottish white with a red nose. ... there was chatter about several prototypes being loaned to ARB , AluCab and others post completion of Ineos's pre-production engineering evaluation to facilitate aftermarket accessories.  A great example of sticking to core business and letting complementary expertise (after market) add value to your product without having to reverse engineer and add unnecessary development costs onto aftermarket accessories.?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
DenisM said:
What's more interesting is that the vehicle he's riding in has the same (State of Victoria) licence plate as the vehicle which was doing the rounds in the eastern States...but that vehicle  sported a different paint job...it was Scottish white with a red nose. ...
There is one vehicle in Australia. It now has a blue wrap. I sat in it and had a good poke around but it was not driveable (at a farm show).

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Sandman said:
Does anyone know the difference, in weigh between steel and alloy wheels make,  x5 or possible x6 if you are carrying one on the roof. Would 10-15 Kg per wheel be right?
I doubt that much difference. You might be very surprised. It's the tyre that's the heavy bit. Well heavy is all relative to how strong you are ;&lt?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
5:21 PM
Reaction score
Though alloy is lighter than steel it is also weaker and thus the rims have a higher material thickness.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
After having seen the latest videos of ASPW, I find them a bit boring.

The build of his current vehicle was interesting. But now, that everything is done and complete, what to talk about? I think, he has to come up with something new on the medium to long term. The patreons want food.

So I wouldn't be surprised if he'd come up with more Grenadier videos - maybe even buy one?

What do you think?

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
His best videos are his trips, which have (for obvious reasons) been few and far between of late.

I really enjoyed his Canning stock series, as well as some of his Africa trips.

However building vehicles to do one or 2 tame drives around WA, and then starting again gets old quick.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
You're probably right.

It's of course a matter of preferences. The trips are doubtlessly interesting, but I am personally more on the build-side. Which is likely caused by my current Grenadier fantasies. Traveling is something I simply do whilst building takes input from those which have already made all mistakes.

I am curious, he can not let the Grenadier completely aside. This is too spectacular a vehicle.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I enjoy his build videos as well, but when they're not being used to their potential, the money and effort being pumped into them seems wasted.

I have no doubt he will get his hands on a Grenadier, as it ticks so many boxes. It may not be quite the "dedicated overlander" as the LC78 'troopy', but its a far more practical as an everyday/ dual purpose vehicle. More comparable to the 76.

He spoke before about possibly doing a desert trip in a New defender, but not sure whats happened to that idea?

Back
Top Bottom