The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

2024 Jeep facelift a look to the future.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:42 AM
Reaction score
If they get a hydro-fuel cell working with a much smaller high-capacity battery, in the GREN, I'll buy one.

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:42 AM
Reaction score
Lack of charging infrastructure is a big problem. We have had a Tesla for 3 years, we’re on holiday in North Yorkshire right now, I borrowed my dads T5 for the week because there’s so few chargers down here. EV’s are great for towns an local driving, but hopeless if you want to go any distance.
In a two car family an EV and a ICE car makes a lot of sense. The Tesla has saved us a fortune in fuel in the 3 years, my wife does the school run in it and we use it for most local driving but if I had to have only one car it would not be an EV.
But electricity is everywhere, so easy enough to wire a new station. Hydrogen? High pressure, supercooled tanks required with refueling also required and unable to fuel at home.

CryHavoc

Reservation Holder
Local time
4:42 AM
Reaction score
But electricity is everywhere, so easy enough to wire a new station. Hydrogen? High pressure, supercooled tanks required with refueling also required and unable to fuel at home.
I mean...no offense...but a Texan saying this HAS to be tongue-in-cheek, right? Given the power situations there over the past few years! :oops: This push for EV, EV, EV! is simply insane given the abhorrent infrastructure in this country to support an even greater electrical load.

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I mean...no offense...but a Texan saying this HAS to be tongue-in-cheek, right? Given the power situations there over the past few years! :oops: This push for EV, EV, EV! is simply insane given the abhorrent infrastructure in this country to support an even greater electrical load.
Hyperbole much? Yea, we had a power loss during a 100 year freeze event that knocked out the above ground natural gas lines to the power stations.. So what? Even gas stations were out as they used electricity for the pumps. It's not like we are encountering outrages in a daily basis. Hardly. We don't have abhorrent infrastructure in Texas. In fact I still see lots of new homes being built in the suburbs, those homes use much much more electricity than any EV, but I don't see people complaining about that taking down the grid. Maybe because people are brainwashed by the media they consume.

CryHavoc

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
Hyperbole much? Yea, we had a power loss during a 100 year freeze event that knocked out the above ground natural gas lines to the power stations.. So what? Even gas stations were out as they used electricity for the pumps. It's not like we are encountering outrages in a daily basis. Hardly. We don't have abhorrent infrastructure in Texas. In fact I still see lots of new homes being built in the suburbs, those homes use much much more electricity than any EV, but I don't see people complaining about that taking down the grid. Maybe because people are brainwashed by the media they consume.
We have friends in Dallas and Austin that had regularly complained of summer brown outs and such. Similar to folks out in California where rolling blackouts aren't unheard of. So it's not a single-event generated observation. And...we have abhorrent infrastructure across the entire nation. That's undeniable. Even in rural...ish Virginia we've had threats of rolling brownouts where they've had to implore people to change their electrical usage habits (and this was before EVs were even a thing). That's not even taking into account the lackluster, and poorly maintained support out there for EV charging on the road. It's not hyperbole, and I'm hardly brainwashed from media :LOL:. There's no simple answer, but I don't foresee the ICE dying as quickly as folks seem to want it to.

Granted...a TON of money is being spent on shoring that infx up (and passed to consumers). But how much of that will prove to only meet current demands vs. future demands is probably going to disappoint a lot of people. Too bad nuclear plants aren't more popular.

Last edited:

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
We have friends in Dallas and Austin that had regularly complained of summer brown outs and such. Similar to folks out in California where rolling blackouts aren't unheard of. So it's not a single-event generated observation. And...we have abhorrent infrastructure across the entire nation. That's undeniable. Even in rural...ish Virginia we've had threats of rolling brownouts where they've had to implore people to change their electrical usage habits (and this was before EVs were even a thing). That's not even taking into account the lackluster, and poorly maintained support out there for EV charging on the road. It's not hyperbole, and I'm hardly brainwashed from media :LOL:. There's no simple answer, but I don't foresee the ICE dying as quickly as folks seem to want it to.

Granted...a TON of money is being spent on shoring that infx up (and passed to consumers). But how much of that will prove to only meet current demands vs. future demands is probably going to disappoint a lot of people. Too bad nuclear plants aren't more popular.
Rolling black out in Texas. Bs.

CryHavoc

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
Rolling black out in Texas. Bs.
Mentioned BROWN outs in TX...different animal. Reading is fundamental.

And, yes, this was over the years probably five or so years ago now. And infx has, hopefully, improved since then. But improving it ENOUGH? Historically our utilities and such have a poor track record. Can it be done? Can enough chargers be installed? Can enough juice be made available and storage put online to protect against things like severe weather events? Theoretically...yes. In practice? Zero faith. Absolutely zero that it will happen within the proposed timelines that the government and manufacturers are pushing for. Hence the ICE will be here to stay for years to come, and I hope there's continued investment in hybrids (like Jeep's 4xe) and alternative fuels.

Anyway...clearly you're taking the mention of Texas personally, so...have a great day and here's to hoping there's less of a fuster cluck in delivering Grenny's Stateside.

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mentioned BROWN outs in TX...different animal. Reading is fundamental.

And, yes, this was over the years probably five or so years ago now. And infx has, hopefully, improved since then. But improving it ENOUGH? Historically our utilities and such have a poor track record. Can it be done? Can enough chargers be installed? Can enough juice be made available and storage put online to protect against things like severe weather events? Theoretically...yes. In practice? Zero faith. Absolutely zero that it will happen within the proposed timelines that the government and manufacturers are pushing for. Hence the ICE will be here to stay for years to come, and I hope there's continued investment in hybrids (like Jeep's 4xe) and alternative fuels.

Anyway...clearly you're taking the mention of Texas personally, so...have a great day and here's to hoping there's less of a fuster cluck in delivering Grenny's Stateside.
Clearly you bought the anti EV rhetoric. Good for you. I guess misinformation about EVs and Texas is something you bought into.

CryHavoc

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
Clearly you bought the anti EV rhetoric. Good for you. I guess misinformation about EVs and Texas is something you bought into.
Frankly I find EVs fascinating for their use case. Only reason I don't own one is because the vehicle I'd replace is paid off, and it doesn't make sense financially. But...you go on with your bad self and just make assumptions. :rolleyes: But, yeah...first hand knowledge of things is just misinformation, I guess. Moving on...

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Frankly I find EVs fascinating for their use case. Only reason I don't own one is because the vehicle I'd replace is paid off, and it doesn't make sense financially. But...you go on with your bad self and just make assumptions. :rolleyes: But, yeah...first hand knowledge of things is just misinformation, I guess. Moving on...
First hand info? Like me living in Texas and not getting info from”friends?” lol. You just self owned yourself.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:42 AM
Reaction score
@Norb-TX @CryHavoc in 2021, a bi-partisan congress led by President Biden signed a 1.2 trillion infrastructure bill It was estimated at that time Texas would receive 35 billion.
Here is the breakdown of the funds that Texas is expected to receive based on estimates from the White House:

• Federal highway programs: $26.9 billion
  • Public transportation: $3.3 billion
  • Drinking water infrastructure (and removing lead pipes): $2.9 billion
  • Airports: $1.2 billion
  • Bridge replacement and repairs: $537 million
  • Electric vehicle charging network: $408 million
  • Broadband expansion: $100 million
  • Wildfire protection: $53 million
  • Cyberattacks protection: $42 million
Cali was receiving the most followed by Texas and NY.

I hope this helps the conversation. let's remember that we might not all agree with each but we can at least respect each other.

WyomingRoaming

Reservation Holder
Local time
2:42 AM
Reaction score
Most of the conversations these days surround fully electric verse hydrogen, but I think that one of the most interesting and promising technologies being developed, are the E-fuels like what Porsche is developing. Chemically identical to regular gasoline yet carbon neutral in a controlled environment (excluding transportation, etc.). It’s incredibly expensive on a price per gallon basis, but given that it’s a new technology, I have hope that they will be able to expand manufacturing facilities, growing the scale and lowering the cost (Moore’s Law).

CryHavoc

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
First hand info? Like me living in Texas and not getting info from”friends?” lol. You just self owned yourself.

@Norb-TX @CryHavoc in 2021, a bi-partisan congress led by President Biden signed a 1.2 trillion infrastructure bill It was estimated at that time Texas would receive 35 billion.
Here is the breakdown of the funds that Texas is expected to receive based on estimates from the White House:

I hope this helps the conversation. let's remember that we might not all agree with each but we can at least respect each other.
For sure there's a ton of help coming...and here's to hoping it'll be enough and the powers-that-be earmark (and STICK to said earmarks) enough for O&M. Track records aren't great with that, nationwide. There was a big push locally here to get ahead of the curve and install a number of EV charging stations; particularly as a bedroom community to the DC-area. All 6 of the ones near the visitor center in town have been broken since last summer, because the budget was all spent on installing them with no thought given (or they just didn't care) to actual maintenance. sigh.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:42 AM
Reaction score

"By the end of 2025, the entire North America Jeep brand lineup will be electrified. By 2030, 50% of Jeep brand sales in the United States will be battery-electric vehicles and 100% of Jeep vehicles in Europe will be fully electric."

Not sure how IG is going to compete.
Ineos would only have to make the Grenadier barely drivable, partially reliable or slightly more than defective junk to compete with Jeep which ranks as dead last in reliability and build quality

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

So basically the top three populated states get the top three budget allocation? Rocket Science!

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:42 AM
Reaction score
Most of the conversations these days surround fully electric verse hydrogen, but I think that one of the most interesting and promising technologies being developed, are the E-fuels like what Porsche is developing. Chemically identical to regular gasoline yet carbon neutral in a controlled environment (excluding transportation, etc.). It’s incredibly expensive on a price per gallon basis, but given that it’s a new technology, I have hope that they will be able to expand manufacturing facilities, growing the scale and lowering the cost (Moore’s

So basically the top three populated states get the top three budget allocation? Rocket Science!
In reality even though they get the largest dollar amount if broken out by population than they are receiving the lowest per resident. Where as Alaska which is bigger than Texas in size but 3rd lowest population, their residents benefit by 3x more than a Texan in terms of infrastructure dollars. So not really rocket science but it is simple math.

Back
Top Bottom