The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

2023 INEOS GRENADIER - is up for sale on auto-trader £85k

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:00 PM
Reaction score
All this may seem strange, but we imagine that the world is made up of well-informed people like us, with good economic possibilities but not willing to squander without knowing perfectly what can be bought with seriously earned money. The world addressed by sellers who perhaps have a Zonda Pagani, a 911 Singer or other exotic toys for sale, is made up of individuals with a huge availability of easy money, of no automotive culture (and not only that) and who, having vaguely heard that there is a strange and exotic off-road vehicle, they don't even consider how much it costs (10-15,000 euros or pounds of difference can be spent on two bottles of wine or to rent a yacht for the day) and which would not cross their mind to wait a year to have the desired toy which, probably, they will return two months later to bring home another toy.

Earthwatcher

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:00 PM
Reaction score
I didn't buy to flip but probably will sell earlier than I thought as it's hard to justify two big expensive 4x4s. My wife really likes the Grenadier but thinks it probably is too big for her. Now she wants an old Defender 90! I see there are 29 Grenadiers on Autotrader this morning. I can't see those inflated prices being sustainable as more private sellers settle for breaking even (or a reduction!). Markets always come down to supply and demand and when supply outstrips demand something has to give and that's price. Ineos will be watching the aftermarket keenly and that's going to influence both short term production schedules and future development.
Meanwhile I can't get to drive the Grenadier as it came just as we were packing for a three week trip. Not good timing.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Have any actually sold at these prices?

I can see why someone might flip it if its £20k over list. I wouldn’t but it must be tempting for some. But like I say have any actually sold?

Reactions: PBD

Earthwatcher

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Have any actually sold at these prices?

I can see why someone might flip it if its £20k over list. I wouldn’t but it must be tempting for some. But like I say have any actually sold?
Not much evidence on Autotrader. Looking back at the pre-delivery PR it was all focused on off-road, nothing about on-road before the Scotland press trip when journo doubts emerged over various aspects subsequently much discussed. By that time most pre-order folks were truly hooked. I think the PR "omissions" were deliberate. They didn't want deposit holders discussing mpg, steering, the left-foot platform or any other niggles. We've been subject to a kind of psychological conditioning and that has put some new owners very much on the defensive as any criticism is perceived as questioning our judgement. Nobody likes that. I'm still an enthusiast but I do have reservations and wish INEOS had been more candid about its definition of utility. My quandary is whether to stick and enjoy/regret, or whether to sell. Selling seems boring and I may well regret it. Private selling is such a pain anyway, so many tyre-kickers. On the plus side it's as solid as a rock, has a great warranty, looks the business. But one of my 4x4s has to go. Keeping both just doesn't make sense. If the Grenadier really is reliable I guess it's a keeper. But I love the new Defender which is a bit beat up already. Still early days.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not much evidence on Autotrader. Looking back at the pre-delivery PR it was all focused on off-road, nothing about on-road before the Scotland press trip when journo doubts emerged over various aspects subsequently much discussed. By that time most pre-order folks were truly hooked. I think the PR "omissions" were deliberate. They didn't want deposit holders discussing mpg, steering, the left-foot platform or any other niggles. We've been subject to a kind of psychological conditioning and that has put some new owners very much on the defensive as any criticism is perceived as questioning our judgement. Nobody likes that. I'm still an enthusiast but I do have reservations and wish INEOS had been more candid about its definition of utility. My quandary is whether to stick and enjoy/regret, or whether to sell. Selling seems boring and I may well regret it. Private selling is such a pain anyway, so many tyre-kickers. On the plus side it's as solid as a rock, has a great warranty, looks the business. But one of my 4x4s has to go. Keeping both just doesn't make sense. If the Grenadier really is reliable I guess it's a keeper. But I love the new Defender which is a bit beat up already. Still early days.
So don’t you like it? Or is it just that it hasn’t blown you away? A bit Meh perhaps?

It makes me think that no car can be all things to all people. So I’ll likely be disappointed with some of the tech whereas some others love the tech and wish it was more like a modern SUV. INEOS are walking a line that will always have people on both sides pulling in opposite directions.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
On the plus side it's as solid as a rock, has a great warranty,
Warranty is pretty useless when, as an example, they deliver a non-functioning NATO socket, won't engage directly with the owner but issue a generic response via Customer Services that a future (timeline undefined) software update will fix it.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I know many will be thinking this, and I for one hope to be proven wrong to what has occurred in the recent public deliveries (issues) and the lack of readily available fixes. We down here in AUS have time on our side to see if the vehicle holds up to the 'tough off road' dream, or if it has JLR all over it and becomes a thing to flip... I will make that decision here in Aus quite quickly as I am now well over waiting, well over lack of information and being fed misinformation on built times and delivery blow outs that has been given to me personally. I had a near 6-month buffer built into my delivery, and had delivery pushed out three times. which has entirely stuffed my end of year plans (looking for a temporary 4X4 now - for 4th qtr year large trip)... it was meant to be in the GREN...

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Prices are stabilising on Autotrader UK.

There appears to be two types of seller, one with delivery mileage expecting a financial win. The other is selling vehicles with 500 miles.

Last edited:

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Are there any going below list?

I'm so pissed off with IA now that I'd happily tell them to stick it and buy one on auto trader.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Are there any going below list?

I'm so pissed off with IA now that I'd happily tell them to stick it and buy one on auto trader.
Don’t blame you Tom. Very annoying. I signed up at the beginning and just resigned myself to not seeing it for a long time and then only purchasing if financial circumstances remained stable. I now have my vehicle and very happy. I have to admit to some concerns regarding service going forward but I do have a good local dealership so fingers crossed.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It is rumoured that with interest rises, etc in UK people are getting very hard up. Yet I never remember seeing so many new cars including lots of high end JLR products, restaurants seem full, holidays all sold.
What’s going on in UK? 🤷‍♂️

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It is rumoured that with interest rises, etc in UK people are getting very hard up. Yet I never remember seeing so many new cars including lots of high end JLR products, restaurants seem full, holidays all sold.
I know! I have been planning for a recession for a while, but it doesn't seem to come. The autumn is my latest prediction.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Same here. It might be the silence before a thunderstorm

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Many of those aspirational customers who live in the city and bought the Grenadier as an alternative to the Defender will quickly move on. Size and turning circle make this vehicle a bit of a challenge on congested roads in my experience. No 180 degree turns on a mini roundabout with this beast. The Defender is far better suited to the city, if you can still insure them that is.

Earthwatcher

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Still undecided what to do. Have been waiting weeks for a numberplate transfer form from DVLA. I still like the Grenadier but with new Defender alongside it seems (it is) a total indulgence. It bugged me that when I filled it up, the range was showing not much more than half that of the Defender (which can't be right). One day I'm thinking "yes, it has to go," the next I'm thinking "bugger it, I'm keeping it" and every day it's the Defender that gets driven. I think it's time for a long drive north to check out a friend's Grenadier - he ordered about the same time as me. He ran old Defenders for many years and his missus hates the ND. I'm also sick of the Facebook Grenadier sites and all the carping and backbiting. It's become more of a Marmite car than the ND!

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think that in an ideal world, if the new Defender had a high reliability record and strength to match, it would be difficult to justify the Grenadier outside simply preferring its styling. My problem with the Defender, apart from its dubious reliability, would be its image. When spending this amount of money, its nice to have something that little bit different. You don't get that with the latest JLR products.
Strange how the new Defender and not the old Defender is always pitched against the Grenadier when they are now completely different products with different goals.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:00 AM
Reaction score
I'm about to leave London after a couple of days at Paddington. The number of pimped G wagens and New Defenders parked in the streets astounds me. And they're ALL black/grey.
Is it some sort of club? It's faintly ridiculous and somewhat amusing what people choose in the inner city.
Oh there was one old Defender with a HUE166. Even worse turning circle than the others in Kensington.

Local time
Reaction score
I'm about to leave London after a couple of days at Paddington. The number of pimped G wagens and New Defenders parked in the streets astounds me. And they're ALL black/grey.
Is it some sort of club? It's faintly ridiculous and somewhat amusing what people choose in the inner city.
Oh there was one old Defender with a HUE166. Even worse turning circle than the others in Kensington.

Yep, a club of gangsters, pimps and idiots. The G Wagens you'll find all across Europe, the New Defenders only in the UK.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I parked my Donny Grey Grenadier outside a cafe in Manchester to meet a friend. The friend knew the woman who rented the cafe premises. Whilst serving us, she asked if we knew who owned the big black car outside. When told it was mine, she seemed relieved as she thought it was her gangster type landlord who she referred to as a right c...t

Back
Top Bottom