The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

14 Power points/rear view and split doors????

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:20 PM
Reaction score
From what I’ve seen the power to the roof ports SHOULD be reconfigurable under the back seat in the power distribution box for use with emergency services lighting. For example you could use one pair on a side to provide power and ground, the other pair could be taken out of factory circuit and used for sync/pattern/color control with a lighting controller. I’ll probably be running quad LED heads on the sides/back with a white mode for camping/work lights, or an alternative red/white chase for emergency response.
VFD?

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:20 AM
Reaction score
The under bonnet outlet is to fit a train horn,
toot - bike warning
horn - normal
Train horn - your missing that golf shot.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:20 AM
Reaction score
Kidding aside, do you think the toot button could be repurposed? Have it control something else? I don’t have anything specific in mind, just curious.

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Kidding aside, do you think the toot button could be repurposed? Have it control something else? I don’t have anything specific in mind, just curious.
yes disconnect the toot horn use a relay and power whatever you want. (if it’s a speaker (or not 12v) you use an ardino and sense the input on a gpio port and do whatever you want - send an email reporting a gps location of a pothole)

Local time
Reaction score
If as mentioned they release a verifiable, accurate, & full wiring diagram digitally here in the coming months I’m happy to help properly repurpose, rewire, improve, or remove ANY electronics from these things.

jamesfielding

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I was surprised not to see a 240v socket in the IG when I sat in one just before Xmas.
During a trip to South Africa, our guide had a Toyota Fortuna which had a socket in the back. Admittedly it would only probably do a phone charger or something small, but I was kind of expecting it in the IG.

Reactions: PBD

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:20 AM
Reaction score
I was surprised not to see a 240v socket in the IG when I sat in one just before Xmas.
During a trip to South Africa, our guide had a Toyota Fortuna which had a socket in the back. Admittedly it would only probably do a phone charger or something small, but I was kind of expecting it in the IG.
2022-Ineos-Grenadier-rear-seats.jpeg
They intended to do so, but for an unknown reason, they dismissed it.
Perhaps I will install an inverter myself with a socket at the same location.

Local time
Reaction score
If as mentioned they release a verifiable, accurate, & full wiring diagram digitally here in the coming months I’m happy to help properly repurpose, rewire, improve, or remove ANY electronics from these things.
Do you think it is possible that the toot button could be used to activate a heated steering wheel? I'm thinking that one could unwrap the leather, put in a heating element, wire it up to the toot button, then re-wrap the steering wheel.

Pretty much the only electronics I want in a vehicle are those associated with convenience features, so that if they fail, there is no consequence to the ability to actually drive the vehicle. Convenience features I value include the rear view camera (arguably a safety feature, but I still think of it as a convenience), heated seats, heated steering wheel, power windows, power side mirrors, and power locks.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m in total agreement; won’t lie - I love convenience stuff, but I don’t want to worry about not being able to drive home. I hope to install an auto-dimming mirror, for example, not because it’s needed but I genuinely like having it.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:20 AM
Reaction score
I’m in total agreement; won’t lie - I love convenience stuff, but I don’t want to worry about not being able to drive home. I hope to install an auto-dimming mirror, for example, not because it’s needed but I genuinely like having it.
The back view is so bad (according to some reviews) because of the doors and the spare tyre, that you won't need it ;)

Local time
Reaction score
The back view is so bad (according to some reviews) because of the doors and the spare tyre, that you won't need it ;)
Ha ha!

In all seriousness, though, all 4x4 wagons carry the spare on the back, and this usually impedes visibility - that's unavoidable. In fact, it is the preferred location.

The double-door, on the other hand, also impedes visibility, and this is a bit of a self-inflicted wound by Ineos. A single barn door would have several advantages:
1. It would not obstruct the view as much
2. For some people, it would provide more convenient access (other people are really excited about the little door)
3. It would be easier to carry a larger spare tire (should one decide to move up in tire size)

Since I know a lot of folk are excited about the split door, I'm curious: what do people like about the split door? I understand that the small door might be convenient sometimes, but I can't think of a time that I have actually been parked in a place where I'd only be able to open the small door. Maybe this is because I don't live in an urban area. There is so much space here, that the most common vehicle on the road is a heavy duty pickup truck, and no one has any problem driving or parking them.

Last edited:

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:20 PM
Reaction score
Ha ha!

In all seriousness, though, all 4x4 wagons carry the spare on the back, and this usually impedes visibility - that's unavoidable. In fact, it is the preferred location.

The double-door, on the other hand, also impedes visibility, and this is a bit of a self-inflicted wound by Ineos. A single barn door would have several advantages:
1. It would not obstruct the view as much
2. For some people, it would provide more convenient access (other people are really excited about the little door)
3. It would be easier to carry a larger spare tire (should one decide to move up in tire size)

Since I know a lot of folk are excited about the split door, I'm curious: what do people like about the split door? I understand that the small door might be convenient sometimes, but I can't think of a time that I have actually been parked in a place where I'd only be able to open the small door. Maybe this is because I don't live in an urban area. There is so much space here, that the most common vehicle on the road is a heavy duty pickup truck, and no one has any problem driving or parking them.
Inner city Sydney, apartment living, undercover parking... I'm counting the millimetres in all directions.
Small door is definitely preferred as it means I can access the rear area while parked without moving stuff (motorcycles) around.

That said, outback tourers garaged in surburbia commonly have swing away spare tyre/jerry can holders - so it's not like the inner city is representative.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:20 PM
Reaction score
The rear view doesn’t bother me that much, most of the time when I am touring I have the back full anyway so I can’t see out the back even with a good window. There is a rear view camera for reversing so that’s fine. My preferred door arrangement is actually the one up and one down, it’s a little worse for trying to get stuff at the back of the loadspace but if you want to reach in to grab something quickly you can just open the top bit which is better access than the Grenadier little door, and stuff doesn’t fall out, and when you are stopped the tailgate makes a nice table or seat and the the top door gives you a bit of shelter if you are sitting on the tailgate or with thr taligate closed it gives you shelter while you are reaching into the back. The downside is that if you want the tyre on the back you need a swingaway carrier which adds weight and is an extra step for opening the back, but on my Discovery I never found it a huge hassle.

Back
Top Bottom