The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Wolf Box

wolfbox_logo_e68cf9b7-062c-40e0-a6b8-6f94291edbd3.png.jpeg

As the leading brand in the automotive electronics market, WOLFBOX has earned its reputation with an unwavering commitment to quality and durability. We strive to deliver cutting-edge electronics with the latest trends and technology to enhance the driving experience and cater to the evolving needs of modern drivers.

At WOLFBOX, we understand that driving is more than just a means of transportation – it's an exploration, an adventure waiting to unfold. WOLFBOX is your trusted companion, encouraging you to venture beyond your comfort zone and discover the extraordinary.

Wolfbox have agreed to give forum members a discount on their products, the discount varies depending on region unfortunatelyf.

They didn't say if this was in addition to any other promotions but its worth a go.

For USA Customers ONLY 18% discount with the coupon code below.

Code

GRENADIERS-USA

WOLFBOX USA Site

For UK Customers and EU 20% discount with the coupon code below.

Code

GRENADIERS-UK

WOLFBOX UK Site

For AU and NZ Customers 20% discount with the coupon code below

Code

GRENADIERS-AU​

WOLFBOX AU Site

WOLFBOX G850 Rearview Mirror Backup Camera Dash Cam Smart Mirror​

wolfbox-g850-rearview-mirror-backup-camera-dash-cam-877069.jpg
The smart way to record your driving experience with a choice of G850 4K mirror rearview mirror backup camera.

Please note, the forum discount only applies to orders placed directly with WOLFBOX and not via 3rd parties.
The forum may earn a small commission from any sales generated by the links above or by using the coupon code.

Last edited:

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:09 AM
Reaction score
IMHO, yes, it makes a difference which way the pigtail is oriented. Have a look here and let it sink:unsure:
View attachment 7855069
However, the result is not that the fuse does not do its job if oriented wrong. It might melt if combined load occurs, because all load goes from 2a to 1a.
Thanks for this discussion between you and @AndyT . There is indeed a small difference between both set-ups, not critical but indeed combined loads are the culprit!

AndyT

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:09 PM
Reaction score
Thanks for this discussion between you and @AndyT . There is indeed a small difference between both set-ups, not critical but indeed combined loads are the culprit!
Thanks Jean. Perhaps not "critical" unless you wire the fuses to a critical circuit in series and if the "lower" fuse blows, then both circuits will lose power (even though the higher-rated fuse did not trip/blow). So, I guess if you do have the pigtail installed backwards, then you want a higher amp rating on the bottom fuse, or make sure that the circuit that you are tapping off of is not a critical function. If the pigtail is installed as intended (i.e., circuits are wired in parallel), then one fuse can blow and the other will remain intact, unless the spike is higher than the higher-rated fuse and then both fuses will blow.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:09 AM
Reaction score
The post I was referring to I think, was #185
in this thread. So far I haven’t seen the perfect solution and am just happy the elastic bands are far more unobtrusive than I imagined. I still need a solution that brings the mirror down a centimetre and allows for more adjustment.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:09 PM
Reaction score
The post I was referring to I think, was #185
in this thread. So far I haven’t seen the perfect solution and am just happy the elastic bands are far more unobtrusive than I imagined. I still need a solution that brings the mirror down a centimetre and allows for more adjustment.
Thanks for looking @Cheshire cat. I did see @MShepherd's post where he tried to lower the mirror attachment point. Based on his conclusion he didn't like the results.

I have a couple of other options to explore, plus I could ask Wolfbox if they would do a compatible arm for MY23 ROW Grenadiers but I doubt there is enough sales volume to get their interest.
I have a suspicion that the OEM arm and mount plate that Wolfbox supply is a common item. This is based on a Google search for 'mirror dash camera mount' which returns a LOT of options that look the same with some variation in the hole spacing for the mirror back plate.

This one on Aliexpress might be suitable if the 44 x 30mm mount spacing is correct. Will check that out later.

Tagging in @bakepl and @nishan who are also looking for a solution.

1714526113545.jpg1714526254097.jpg

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for looking @Cheshire cat. I did see @MShepherd's post where he tried to lower the mirror attachment point. Based on his conclusion he didn't like the results.

I have a couple of other options to explore, plus I could ask Wolfbox if they would do a compatible arm for MY23 ROW Grenadiers but I doubt there is enough sales volume to get their interest.
I have a suspicion that the OEM arm and mount plate that Wolfbox supply is a common item. This is based on a Google search for 'mirror dash camera mount' which returns a LOT of options that look the same with some variation in the hole spacing for the mirror back plate.

This one on Aliexpress might be suitable if the 44 x 30mm mount spacing is correct. Will check that out later.

Tagging in @bakepl and @nishan who are also looking for a solution.

View attachment 7855210View attachment 7855211
I’ve spoken to them and they’re willing to do a custom arm. They just need the specs of the current one and what’s required to make their system work.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve spoken to them and they’re willing to do a custom arm. They just need the specs of the current one and what’s required to make their system work.
Well well... After that earlier mis-step with the delayed AU Wolfbox discount code, it seems you're back on my Christmas Card list @Stu_Barnes 🥰 I forgive you.
This sounds promising. I'm happy to be the MY23 ROW test bed. How do you suggest we proceed?
Merch store item perhaps?

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
Well well... After that earlier mis-step with the delayed AU Wolfbox discount code, it seems you're back on my Christmas Card list @Stu_Barnes 🥰 I forgive you.
This sounds promising. I'm happy to be the MY23 ROW test bed. How do you suggest we proceed?
Merch store item perhaps?
Ha, at least I'm out of the dog house, so thats something.

They just need the details of what they need to make to get a Grenadier specific mount. Easier said than done I know.

Some images and dimensions would be a great start. If you want to spearhead this I'll get the ball rolling again.

This would be available direct from Wolfbox, the same way that the offer jeep and Toyota mounts.

Last edited:

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

They just need the details of what they need to make to get a Grenadier specific mount. Easier said than done I know.

Some images and dimensions would be a great start. If you wan to spearhead this I'll get the ball rolling again.

This would be available direct from Wolfbox, the same way that the offer jeep and Toyota mounts.
I would happily have conversed with Clarke in order to get this underway for Year 23 ROW models but unfortunately, away from my vehicle for the next three weeks.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Some images and dimensions would be a great start. If you want to spearhead this I'll get the ball rolling again.

Righto...

I'll throw something together and send you some info Stu.

I have already sacrificed one Wolfbox mount to see what could be achieved with the current design. I had to grind a fair amount of material from the ball and cup on both ends to increase the vertical range by about 50% to get the mirror below the airbag warning panel. As you can see it still needs to be lower to allow for the cable connections and access to the SD card (which Wolfbox should place on the bottom of the mirror not the top!). The mirror is currently angled about 5° down which is too low for me (5'9") to see out the back window without leaning over. The mirror should be vertical in the centre/neutral position of the arm and still allow full up and down adjustment. So I'm close, but not there.

A custom MY23 non-ADAS arm will have:
  • the correct twist-off windcreen mount so a twist to d-tab (dovetail) adapter is not required (that's the thin black anodised shim visible in my first pic).
  • A drop arm to lower the mirror height below the airbag panel to be able to access the connections and SD card, and still allow up/down adjustment.
  • Possibly a different mount plate arrangement*.
*The thin plastic mount plate that replaces the clips and rubbers is not coping well with diesel vibration. This may be because I am using an adapter plus I have hacked the arm onto an extreme angle. The mass of the G900 on my hacked mount is allowing vibration to washout the mirror image at idle and also in that well reported 1850-2000 rpm harmonic range. Plus, the mirror power button rattles like crazy at idle! The mount plate may need to be reviewed after Wolfbox come up with a custom arm. The vibration may self-resolve🤞.

There's also a spatial check required to ensure a twist-mount will work with these wide Wolfbox mirrors. You currently have to attach the Wolfbox arm to the mirror, then onto the windcreen mount. That may not work if the complete assembly has to be rotated through 90°. Wolfbox may need to design a two-piece arm like the Guigong example I posted above.

Attachments

• PXL_20240501_231757060.jpg
    PXL_20240501_231757060.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 85
  • PXL_20240501_231629842.jpg
    PXL_20240501_231629842.jpg
    630.6 KB · Views: 74

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:09 PM
Reaction score
Throwing this idea out there…I dont have too much of an issue with the factory mirror but was thinking of getting a 900 and installing between the steering wheel and windshield…Those with one do you think this could too much of a distraction?

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Throwing this idea out there…I dont have too much of an issue with the factory mirror but was thinking of getting a 900 and installing between the steering wheel and windshield…Those with one do you think this could too much of a distraction?
It's not a crazy idea. Wolfbox make a centre console base for what you suggest. I think the distraction might become an issue as you say.
I though about something similar early on, where I might be able to place the mirror behind and above the infotainment screen and make it a secondary mirror and dash cam.
For now I'll persist with sorting out a replacement arm, if for no other reason than 40 years of muscle memory telling me to look up at the mirror to see behind!

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Righto...

I'll throw something together and send you some info Stu.

I have already sacrificed one Wolfbox mount to see what could be achieved with the current design. I had to grind a fair amount of material from the ball and cup on both ends to increase the vertical range by about 50% to get the mirror below the airbag warning panel. As you can see it still needs to be lower to allow for the cable connections and access to the SD card (which Wolfbox should place on the bottom of the mirror not the top!). The mirror is currently angled about 5° down which is too low for me (5'9") to see out the back window without leaning over. The mirror should be vertical in the centre/neutral position of the arm and still allow full up and down adjustment. So I'm close, but not there.

A custom MY23 non-ADAS arm will have:
  • the correct twist-off windcreen mount so a twist to d-tab (dovetail) adapter is not required (that's the thin black anodised shim visible in my first pic).
  • A drop arm to lower the mirror height below the airbag panel to be able to access the connections and SD card, and still allow up/down adjustment.
  • Possibly a different mount plate arrangement*.
*The thin plastic mount plate that replaces the clips and rubbers is not coping well with diesel vibration. This may be because I am using an adapter plus I have hacked the arm onto an extreme angle. The mass of the G900 on my hacked mount is allowing vibration to washout the mirror image at idle and also in that well reported 1850-2000 rpm harmonic range. Plus, the mirror power button rattles like crazy at idle! The mount plate may need to be reviewed after Wolfbox come up with a custom arm. The vibration may self-resolve🤞.

There's also a spatial check required to ensure a twist-mount will work with these wide Wolfbox mirrors. You currently have to attach the Wolfbox arm to the mirror, then onto the windcreen mount. That may not work if the complete assembly has to be rotated through 90°. Wolfbox may need to design a two-piece arm like the Guigong example I posted above.

I may have justed wasted 30 bucks, but I have ordered this arm from Aliexpress to see how close it is to a solution. It's the price Wolfbox will charge anyway.
The mount plate hole spacing is different at 30 x 46mm but I'm working on a hunch that the head can be swapped out for the Wolfbox head (30 x 30mm spacing).

Will advise...

1714619813343.jpg

Attachments

• Wolfbox OEM Arm.jpg
    Wolfbox OEM Arm.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 74

Grey Wolf

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have tried using the factory arm with an backing plate and ball adaptor from Alibaba but it's just a little high. It only needs to be about 25mm lower to make it work. Using a right angled usbc adaptor helps it clear the airbag lights when using the rubber straps.

Attachments

• IMG20240212080210.jpg
    IMG20240212080210.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 70

Mena2

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:09 PM
Reaction score
Hi all. Just a warning I am a complete newbie when it comes to wiring so this question is probably pretty dumb… if I wire into the right footwell panel to the pre-fused positive and negative wires how exactly do the wires on the hardwire kit connect to them- ie does the BAT wire connect to the pre fused positive wire and the yellow wire to the car’s negative wire? Or is it something else? Anyways, I appreciate any help! Thanks!!

AndyT

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi all. Just a warning I am a complete newbie when it comes to wiring so this question is probably pretty dumb… if I wire into the right footwell panel to the pre-fused positive and negative wires how exactly do the wires on the hardwire kit connect to them- ie does the BAT wire connect to the pre fused positive wire and the yellow wire to the car’s negative wire? Or is it something else? Anyways, I appreciate any help! Thanks!!
Hi @Mena2, the right footwell wires are connected to INT2 of your overhead panel and that switch is powered only when your truck is switched on (ignition at ACC). So you should wire the camera using the ACC wire and ground. The end of your camera's BATT wire should be wrapped in electrical tape since it is not used and you won't have the parking monitor feature activated. I think the camera's ground wire is either connected to the negative wire or ground it by securing it to a bolt (not sure so you should test it both ways, or wait for someone to give better advice). And make sure your INT2 switch is switched on...then the mirror will only work when the vehicle is on and when the switch is on too.

Mena2

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I would happily have conversed with Clarke in order to get this underway for Year 23 ROW models but unfortunately, away from my vehicle for the next three weeks.

Hi @Mena2, the right footwell wires are connected to INT2 of your overhead panel and that switch is powered only when your truck is switched on (ignition at ACC). So you should wire the camera using the ACC wire and ground. The end of your camera's BATT wire should be wrapped in electrical tape since it is not used and you won't have the parking monitor feature activated. I think the camera's ground wire is either connected to the negative wire or ground it by securing it to a bolt (not sure so you should test it both ways, or wait for someone to give better advice). And make sure your INT2 switch is switched on...then the mirror will only work when the vehicle is on and when the switch is on too.
Thanks so much- Really appreciate it!!

RobP

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:09 PM
Reaction score
Review: I've only driven a little bit with the mirror, but initial impressions: 1) When the sun is shining behind you and low to the horizon, the glare off the mirror is really bad. The reflections make the mirror nearly unusable. Query to the masses: Does the anti-reflective film you get from Wolfbox help this situation?

There are zero reflections with the film installed. The only downside is you do lose the minimal usefulness as an actual mirror with the film. I used the same decal application fluid that I bought for the red decals and it made the install a breeze.

AndyT

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There are zero reflections with the film installed. The only downside is you do lose the minimal usefulness as an actual mirror with the film. I used the same decal application fluid that I bought for the red decals and it made the install a breeze.
Awesome, thanks! I'm actually really hating the reflections in the display. When I glance at the mirror, my eyes are default focusing in the reflection rather than the displayed image. Maybe just me, bit I think I will get the anti-glare film.

Mena2

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Here's my Wolfbox G900 install write-up...
View attachment 7855126
Ignore the dangling camera as I had not stuck it to the plastic trim yet, but you can see that it's in the same position as those who installed this camera inside the door before me. I took the top and bottom plastic trim off to access the interior. There's just one screw that holds the bottom piece (you can see the plastic plug covering the screw). All the panels pop off when you pull it straight out. The rear camera wire was zip-tied to the washer/electrical wiring harness inside. I did pass the camera wire through the rubber grommet that leads out of the top section of the door interior into the bottom half (where the screwed-on plastic piece is (where many have replaced it with a folding table). It's a tight squeeze to get it through the grommet, but it'll fit. You'll have to remove some wiring harness cloth tape. If you dont feed it through the rubber grommet, then the wire will be visible coming out of the bottom trim and then back into the screwed-on first-aid/table cover trim piece.
View attachment 7855127
The wire then continues to follow the wiring harness inside the door until it exits out the bottom of the plastic panel. Some others have been able to snake the wire through the rubber accordion tube, but I could not figure out how to do that. It is such a tight squeeze to get that wire through the tube and I didnt have a wire fishing tool to get that done. If there's someone who actually did this themselves (and not a pro installer), please let us know how you did it. I even pulled the tube off the door on the right side, but it was so jammed-tight of wires that I couldnt even pull it back to expose any access to fee a wire through. So, you can see that the wire comes out the bottom and follows the gas strut (zip-tied) with some slack so that the wire does not get stretched when the door is fully open. The wire is then tucked under the weatherstripping, going up. I made sure to not screw on the bottom panel too tightly in the corner where the wires comes out from under the panel, so as to not cut/crimp the wire.
View attachment 7855128
The wire is then fed up and tucked under/into the weatherstripping/trim pieces and the gap of the roof panel. Nothing had to be removed, so no plastic was harmed in the install. It's a tight and clean install and you dont see the wire at all.
View attachment 7855129
The wire then snakes along the gaps of the A, B, and C-pillars. Again, it's a tight fit so I think the wire is pretty secure (and hidden). Nothing needed to be removed along this roof section.
View attachment 7855130
In this pic, the red wire is the rear camera wire that that is tucked under the roof panel heading towards the mirror, while the green line shows how the GPS wire snakes up the A-Pillar back to the mirror. Excess wire was tucked inside the A-Pillar, and I was (hopefully) careful not to interfere with the air-bag. I did notice that the gap between the windshield/windscreen glass and the roof panel is not super tight, so it was a bit difficult to get the two wires to stay tucked in. If I find that the wires keep popping out, then I may use a few of those included adhesive clips to secure it to the windshield/windscreen. The A-Pillar is easy to remove...just three screws (one you see in the pic, and two securing the grab handle) that are behind plastic rectangle covers). I was NOT able to completely remove the plastic trim piece off the A-pillar, but you dont really need to. You can open it up just enough to tuck the wires behind it.
View attachment 7855134
The power cable was routed from the mirror and across the front roofline (tucked under the roof panel) and down the A-Pillar. The plastic trim of the A-Pillar is held on with one screw. Remove that and the plastic trim pulls off completely. side note: The screw that secures the plastic cover to the A-Pillar was cross-threaded, but I was able to get the screw on tight enough...we'll see if there's a rattle.
View attachment 7855135
The power line is then snaked inside the weatherstripping and behind panels #1 and #3. In order to access and remove the plastic panels, you have to remove them in a specific sequence. Panel #1 just pops out (no screws). Panel #2 has two screws on the bottom two corners. You'll have to poke your head under to see them. And then there's a 3rd screw holding panel #2 to #3 on the left side. Remove that screw. Panel #3 has 3-4 screws along the bottom edge that you'll have to remove. You'll see them once panel #2 is removed. The power cable is then snaked across, under the steering column and to the fuse panel. I zip-tied it to various places so that it wouldn't rattle. All the excess wire was bundled and zip tied inside behind panel 3.
View attachment 7855136
Finally, within the fuse box I have two pigtails...the switched circuit (a/k/a ACC) is the one at the top right (FC21-12V Front Outlet) with the pigtail going to the right. Note: the power source side of the circuit is on the left side of the fuse socket, so the pigtail needs to go to the right. If you wire it so that the pigtail goes to the left, then you've essentially wired the two fuses in series, rather than in parallel (no bueno). Because the pigtail goes to the right, it obscures all the other fuses along that bank, so I wired the always on wire (a/k/a BATT) to FC12 - Head Unit (or maybe it was FC11??). Either way, I used a voltmeter to ensure that there was power to this circuit even when the key was out of the ignition. Again, in this power bank (FC10-FC17) the power source is coming in from the left side, so the pigtail needs to go to the right. The black ground wire was secured to the silver metal-colored bolt (you cant see it in this pic, but it was behind the plastic trim in the lower right corner). I noticed that the black bolts inside the fuse box are not connected to ground, so I didnt use those. Note: my hardwire kit had its ACC and BATT wires reversed, so if you install your mirror and wire it according to directions and then find that the mirror display continues to stay on even when the vehicle is "off", then it's possible your hardware kit is wired backwards too. Just simply swap the two wires <chef's kiss>. I did tell Wolfbox support and they emailed me that same day. They were willing to send me a new power cable, but I didnt feel it was necessary. A+ for customer support!
View attachment 7855137
Finally, here is the image of the wires coming into the mirror...I might use some black zip ties to clean it up a bit...another day. One other note...I wanted to install the red wire from the rear camera to my reverse lights so that the back-up lines would work, but I literally could not figure out how to access the reverse light wire without tearing apart my entire cargo area. I think I saw a post where someone showed how to do this by accessing the light from the outside, so I might tackle that one later as well. Oh yeah, also I did NOT buy the longer rear camera wire from Wolfbox, but instead a 5' wire extension off of Amazon . This extension was probably not needed using the roof route that I used as I think the wire is long enough to make it to the camera, but it was $8 USD and I didnt want to get hung up during my install and not having enough cable to work with.

Review: I've only driven a little bit with the mirror, but initial impressions: 1) When the sun is shining behind you and low to the horizon, the glare off the mirror is really bad. The reflections make the mirror nearly unusable. Query to the masses: Does the anti-reflective film you get from Wolfbox help this situation? 2) As with all digital mirrors, your eyes will need to adjust focus to the mirror when you are transitioning from looking at a far distance (e.g., out the front windshield) to the mirror. It's not horrible (and not an issue specific to Wolfbox, but with all digital mirrors), and it'll take a little bit of adjustment. If there's a reflection or glare off the mirror, then your eyes will really be hunting around for what image to focus on. Honestly, I dont think I'll be able to do a quick rearward check anymore as I do with a traditional mirror. You will need to hover your eyes over the image for 1-2 seconds to focus...not a deal-breaker, but something to note. 3) I'm at an age where I need reading glasses, but my "far-sightedness" only needs to be corrected for reading small print in low light. I think if you have more severe hyperopia (i.e., nearby objects are blurry), then a digital mirror may not work for you. Thankfully, the distance from your eyes in a driving position to the mirror surface is pretty far (~arm's length), so it may only be an issue for a smaller percentage of folks. 4) the video image seems kind of zoomed in, so I feel I need to constantly adjust the vertical orientation of the video feed to either capture cars behind me at a distance, or cars that are right on my tail. I think this is just a matter of me needing to drive it more and find a happy-medium setting. 5) low light images off the rear camera is not super great. It's pretty grainy, but that's understandable as image sensors have to really boost their gain in low light and this causes noise in the image. All in all, the digital mirror solves the problem of terrible rear visibility out the back of the truck, but a digital display has its shortcoming compared to an old fashioned mirror. I dont regret the purchase and the install was fairly straightforward. I have previously installed dashcams in four other cars (two others also had rear-facing cameras), so I do have some experience doing this and this install was pretty typical.
Just wanted to say thanks so much for posting this. I used this as a guide to wire the rear camera. Only slight difference was I hid the wire from front to back so hid the extra wire under the rear door bottom panel (didn’t need the extended cable or 5 foot extension- had plenty of wire on the standard cable going this route). I have the table installed so I just routed the wire down the back of the table and it’s barely visible. Added some plastic rubber tubing around where it zip tied just to protect the wire and I think it looks pretty good as well. I hardwired into the right footwell and that made it easy to conceal both wires at once. Anyways, thanks for the insight!

Attachments

• IMG_0565.jpeg
    IMG_0565.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0564.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0563.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0560.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 22
Back
Top Bottom