The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Dr Pickypants / That Model Car

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:39 AM
Reaction score
I just unpacked my "free gift".
having just built a wooden model of a cobra - photo below - i am a bit disappointed with what was delivered.
the building instructions are more like a guessing game, the parts are neither numbered nor marked on the sheets where to find them. the way it comes together is more or less not described at all. I'm curious how it ends.View attachment 7813171
But still it does look great!
My gift has been a Grenadier by the way

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
1:39 AM
Reaction score
I have a pdf with the instructions if anyone needs it. Let me know and I can upload it to the resources.

Local time
2:39 AM
Reaction score
Just thought I'd chime in, as I see some legitimate concerns, but based on my experience so far - I have no concerns with Dr. Pickypants, and will likely order another one - I'm part way through building mine, and have found 1 missing piece, which was immediately resent via DHL at Dr. Pickypants cost, and so far exactly one error in the instructions.

The instructions don't hold your hand, but I've found that the pieces are so well cut that you can easily pre-fit each piece, and quickly figure out the proper order of operations.

I don't find this any more difficult than any of the multiple Tamiya and Mattel models I built in my younger years, and the quality is obviously much higher.

There was some initial delay, but after that the only delay has been due to Australia to US shipping times.Here's my progress so far:
Gren model.jpg

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Has anyone received a painted model so far?

Local time
2:39 AM
Reaction score
And done. I'm impressed with this model - there was only one issue, so pay attention while building.

Compare the piece in the picture, with the picture in the instructions. You'll note that there is an internal protrusion on the actual piece that does not exist in the instructions. This piece fits into a hole in the seats (also not in the instructions) and, coincidentally, was the piece that was missing and had to be resent by Dr. Pickypants.

I'm guessing that was a running change in the process, adding that piece was the right thing to do.
Gren piece.jpg
In my case, I had already installed the seats, with glue, by the time the missing piece arrived. Since the instructions for the seats don't show the holes for that piece, I made the choice to install them with the holes towards the inside, not the outside - this will all make sense when you're building.

So when my missing piece arrived, I had to shave off that little piece, and align the hoop by sight. I almost got it right...

You can see in my finished picture below, the B column behind the front door doesn't line up perfectly - doors still work, it's just the body piece that sticks out a bit. What you can't see is that I was not able to get the safari windows on the roof to fit - I am confident that its because I didn't guess right on this piece.

But, at the end of the day - I'm quite impressed with this model, and would order from Dr. Pickypants again.
Gren 02.jpg

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Nevertheless I wouldn’t mind getting the models before Christmas…

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have got the notification from DHL this night that they request my data for customs clearing (edit: I first wrote „cleaning“) for my painted models.
Exited!

Last edited:

Chris

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:39 AM
Reaction score
I have got the notification from DHL this night that they request my data for customs cleaning for my painted models.
Exited!
Great news (y)
Mine was due the following week..................6 weeks ago! 🤣

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If it's been in a warehouse for 6 weeks that will explain why the customs guys are cleaning it for bemax.
I should reread my post more carefully….
You could say it is my English but the word suggestions while typing had a bigger part in this lapsus…

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have the utmost respect for someone writing in a foreign language, hopefully the intent of just making fun with the words not the writer was clear. 🙇‍♂️

Looking forward to seeing some photos of this model ~ with it being painted does it come fully assembled?

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have the utmost respect for someone writing in a foreign language, hopefully the intent of just making fun with the words not the writer was clear. 🙇‍♂️

Looking forward to seeing some photos of this model ~ with it being painted does it come fully assembled?
The great thing here is that we know each other for quite a time now. An despite the fact that here of course gather some smart-ass alpha male (in nature known as Sílverbacks) we (I) know very good who has good and who has bad intentions. The ones with bad normally vanish after some month from this forum.
As I read your comment I had to lough out loud. And honestly I have to right now only by remembering "customs cleaning" :ROFLMAO:

In my opinion it is important to live for the motto "better to loose a good friend than a pointe/punchline"

Chris

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, assembled and painted, should be spankin’ WHEN it arrives
At least, that’s the thought that keeps me going! 🤷‍♂️

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, assembled and painted, should be spankin’ WHEN it arrives
At least, that’s the thought that keeps me going! 🤷‍♂️
DHL tracking says 21st till the end of the day.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So my two models arrived this morning. 4 days from Australia to Germany dood to door is quite fast! I am curious how the building will be.

Back
Top Bottom