The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

winch cover removal (European cars with plastic bumpers)

NoAge Hunter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:34 AM
Reaction score
@Lollo050966 and I implemented the plan together last weekend. To try it and have fun crafting together. Admittedly it looks a bit complicated in the photos, but it's not. The middle part of the bumper is very easy to remove, but the cables prevent you from placing it on the floor, so you need a base with a box and, for example, Styrofoam. The metal plate behind the plastic middle part must be removed. Then you can drill, cut and process the plastic with the Dremel. We planned to use 6 square nuts on top, but both of us only had 5s instead of 4s. :rolleyes: So we used countersunk screws. It looks a bit adventurous below because the magnets have to be located far inside and the plastic of the license plate holder is not flat in this section. Therefore we had to cut a little further than originally planned. But it works with the snap-in top hinges, doesn't rattle and is an inexpensive alternative to LeTech. Le Tech was the fallback solution. :cool:
I put black dummy screws in the empty screw holes.
We applied screw glue to all screws.
Now it's just one move and we can use the winch.
Thank you Lolo050966 for your hospitality. (y):kichern:
Looks like you had a lot of fun! Good idea!
Regarding the screws in poor condition: I found already some Screws in this condition at various areas. A bit poor performance after 8 month and only one mild winter from my point of view.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I did today start the copy-paste of @Barney & @Lollo050968 flipable European winch cover. I hope they will not bring me to court for copyright infringement. ;)
And I have a question ... see below.

I bought exactly the same 2 hinges, and 3 magnets, not in Germany, because the site did send me to a Belgian provider at some 20km from my place.
The hinges are nice, because they have a clicking position system that keeps them open in a certain angle, therefore the cover doesn't fall down (see my second picture: I wasn't holding the cover).

I didn't finish, only placed the hinges. It is not difficult, but it takes quite some time, because you have to, not only drill holes, but also grind the inside protruding reinforcement plastic of the bumper a little bit to be able to put the screws and bolts.

The only difference until now is that I did place the hinges somewhat more towards the center. And I did place my screws back. The idea is to remove preventively my screws when I am in possibly difficult terrain. And put them back when I think I will not need my winch so that curious people can't open the winch cover.
20240302_175532.jpg

Now, my question to @Barney or @Lollo050968 :
Did you cut the 3 protruding plastics of the winch cover shown on the picture below:
20240302_175028 protruding.jpg

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I did today start the copy-paste of @Barney & @Lollo050968 flipable European winch cover. I hope they will not bring me to court for copyright infringement. ;)

I bought exactly the same 2 hinges, and 3 magnets, not in Germany, because the site did send me to a Belgian provider at some 20km from my place.
The hinges are nice, because they have a clicking position system that keeps them open in a certain angle, therefore the cover doesn't fall down (see my second picture: I wasn't holding the cover).

I didn't finish, only placed the hinges. It is not difficult, but it takes quite some time, because you have to, not only drill holes, but also grind the inside protruding reinforcement plastic of the bumper a little bit to be able to put the screws and bolts.

The only difference until now is that I did place the hinges somewhat more towards the center. And I did place my screws back. The idea is to remove preventively my screws when I am in possibly difficult terrain. And put them back when I think I will not need my winch so that curious people can't open the winch cover.
View attachment 7846406

Did you cut the 3 protruding plastics of the winch cover shown on the picture below:
View attachment 7846407
Hi @Jean Mercier , at first : you are welcome to copy (and everyone else too).

Yes, we cut it, otherwise no chance to flip up.

@Barney I think you have some more detailed pictures, which are not published until today

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:34 PM
Reaction score

View attachment 7846406

View attachment 7846407
It is a shame you have to go to all this trouble to achieve the same result as i have with a tick of a box on the configurator.
View: https://youtube.com/shorts/m-HwP35Nfkw?si=GpJ0AFCe2CpkvNpv

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi @Jean Mercier , at first : you are welcome to copy (and everyone else too).

Yes, we cut it, otherwise no chance to flip up.

@Barney I think you have some more detailed pictures, which are not published until today
I knew I could copy it, of course, I know both of you (from the forum), only joking, but you knew that. (y)

I still can flip it up, but I need some trim tools to do it.
Not the ideal situation when I am stuck in the mud :ROFLMAO:

Barney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
in der Nähe von Frankfurt a. M. Deutschland
IMG_8930.jpegYou have to cut off the tabs. You even have to cut a piece of hole in the cover for the magnets. This is the first ugly attempt. It can be seen in a photo. But since it's at the bottom you can't see it.

Barney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
in der Nähe von Frankfurt a. M. Deutschland

Attachments

• IMG_9128.jpeg
    IMG_9128.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9124.jpeg