The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

European winch cover do it yourself screw replacement

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:40 AM
Reaction score
I replaced today the screws of my "numberplate winch cover".

The idea behind it was that it is way too easy to remove the original cheap screws of Ineos, and therefore reach the winch.

Here the final solution with the new screws and old ones:
winch cover screw 1.jpg

So what did I do? I found at my sons place nice black screws with hexagonal hole (I don't know the name of that kind of screw) and found some bolts for it, I think it is M6, length is 1.4 cm (could have been 1 or 2 mm more, would have been better):
winch cover screw 2.jpg
I removed the original clips and after some hammering and bending I inserted the bolt in it. The nail is for a avoiding the bolt to rotate while screwing the new screw in it (this was a bit trial and error), I did cut the nail by the way:
winch cover screw 3.jpg

I did put the clip back in the original position, and then put some adhesive tape at the other side of the screw so that I don't loose when removing the cover (I will have to see of the adhesive tape survives heat and time):
winch cover screw 4.jpg

And please go back to the first picture for the final result.

Conclusion:
More difficult to remove (was my goal), and more difficult to put back (slower), but nicer (black!)

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:40 PM
Reaction score

The idea behind it was that it is way too easy to remove the original cheap screws of Ineos, and therefore reach the winch.

View attachment 7813352

So what did I do? I found at my sons place nice black screws with hexagonal hole (I don't know the name of that kind of screw) and found some bolts for it, I think it is M6, length is 1.4 cm (could have been 1 or 2 mm more, would have been better):
View attachment 7813353
I removed the original clips and after some hammering and bending I inserted the bolt in it. The nail is for a avoiding the bolt to rotate while screwing the new screw in it (this was a bit trial and error), I did cut the nail by the way:
View attachment 7813354

I did put the clip back in the original position, and then put some adhesive tape at the other side of the screw so that I don't loose when removing the cover (I will have to see of the adhesive tape survives heat and time):
View attachment 7813355

Conclusion:
More difficult to remove (was my goal), and more difficult to put back (slower), but nicer (black!)
Simple and Brilliant Solution! DaBull

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:40 PM
Reaction score

View attachment 7813352

View attachment 7813353
View attachment 7813354

View attachment 7813355

Conclusion:
I think your new screw is called a JCB bolt, common in the furniture industry.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:40 PM
Reaction score
Then:

Later:
"Dad..?" calls out Mercier jnr
"Yes son"?
"I left a couple of JCB bolts in the back room .. have you seen them..?"
"Who.. moi?"....😳🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:40 AM
Reaction score
If I'm understanding it correctly, then when the adhesive tape fails, the nut will just rotate and you won't be able to get the winch cover off?

Why not just shop for the correct sized spire clip for your bolt?
webchimneynut.jpg

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
and this type of screw in stainless steel

DIN 6912 Innensechskant Zylinderkopfschraube A2 M 6x16

the head is flat in opposite to DIN 912

@Jean hopefully your black screw is not rusty after return from hungary

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:40 AM
Reaction score
If I recall the original complaint about these screws was that they were too hard to remove.

We're a hard lot to please...

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not Boredom! The construction of Ineos is something for lab, nothing for dirt and mud. You will loose the screw and lost at first try. That was Jean trouble too, without dirt😉
I will do something better, when I am behind the wheel ….

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If I'm understanding it correctly, then when the adhesive tape fails, the nut will just rotate and you won't be able to get the winch cover off?

Why not just shop for the correct sized spire clip for your bolt?

The adhesive tape is only used as a dirty trick for not loosing the bolt.

And indeed, I should shop for the correct spire clip, but I was playing around :p

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Due to travelling back 🏡 I forgot about my thread, and am only reading this today sitting in a 🚆

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You are welcome, I am preparing at the moment the Grenadier for our scotland trip, still working on the best Tetris session for the luggage and the dog box …….

Back
Top Bottom