The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Will these wheels fit with no interference problems?

Texas Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
6:34 AM
Reaction score
The hub bore has nothing to do with lug nut sizing; the question at hand would be whether the factory wheels are ball or cone seat, as the vast majority (all?) aftermarket wheels have a conical seat
Understood. Thanks for the clarification. I was given the incorrect information

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:34 AM
Reaction score
I was looking at and wanted the Gorilla Nuts because they appeared to be top tier but all the offerings that I could find (admittedly, on Amazon) were 4 packs. Seeing how I need 5, I went with the McGards.
ETA: Anti-theft nuts
You could get away with four. Here me out, if you ordered the TM, then you get the strage container which you need an Allen key to remove. The the storage container sits in the rim well so covering the rim. So you really need 4, one for each rim. Also, Donut Medium did a wheel lock test and Mc Gard was the winner.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:34 AM
Reaction score
I purchased the correct lug nuts right from Method. Those should work fine.....Splined with the appropriate deep splined socket.
Which did you buy? My 706s are in the garage already, but I didn’t get new lug nuts. TBH I’m confused a which to buy (Acorn, acorn bulge, mag-style, etc).

coloradosnow

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:34 AM
Reaction score
Which did you buy? My 706s are in the garage already, but I didn’t get new lug nuts. TBH I’m confused a which to buy (Acorn, acorn bulge, mag-style, etc).
Very strange. I bought Method 706s in original wheel size (17s) but +50mm offset vs. the factory +55. With separate winter tires. After ~100 miles got all kinds of warnings on tell-tale. At dealer now, and saying the aftermarket wheels rubbed on front right wheel into the brake line and speed sensor. So both have to be replaced. Saying is caused by these wheels vs. factory. going to be quite expensive, especially as saying the wheels will do it again. So having to remove the M706s and I suppose install my winter tires on the factory wheels.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Very strange. I bought Method 706s in original wheel size (17s) but +50mm offset vs. the factory +55. With separate winter tires. After ~100 miles got all kinds of warnings on tell-tale. At dealer now, and saying the aftermarket wheels rubbed on front right wheel into the brake line and speed sensor. So both have to be replaced. Saying is caused by these wheels vs. factory. going to be quite expensive, especially as saying the wheels will do it again. So having to remove the M706s and I suppose install my winter tires on the factory wheels.
Really?!

What size tires did you put on? Same size as stock?

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:34 PM
Reaction score
Really?!

What size tires did you put on? Same size as stock?
If I understand offset correctly, +50 vs +55 brings the inner face of the wheel 5mm closer to the centre of the car and I can see how that may touch brake and sensor lines etc, although that suggests there is not much clearance between in the first place.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If I understand offset correctly, +50 vs +55 brings the inner face of the wheel 5mm closer to the centre of the car and I can see how that may touch brake and sensor lines etc, although that suggests there is not much clearance between in the first place.
I figured 5mm was marginal but we’ll see. I tagged an Aussie member who has methods. Hopefully he’ll reach out when it’s daytime.

Texas Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I seriously doubt the tires and wheels are causing this. I have a + 40 offset with 285/70/17s that are not rubbing. So stran
Hold up! Correct me if I’m wrong, more positive offset moves the wheel out. I upgraded my wheels to 6x130 +40 offset with 285/70/17 and they’re nowhere near the brake lines? If I’m wrong, let me know, because if I am, I’m eating every line behind my wheel!

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I figured 5mm was marginal but we’ll see. I tagged an Aussie member who has methods. Hopefully he’ll reach out when it’s daytime.

I seriously doubt the tires and wheels are causing this. I have a + 40 offset with 28/70/17s that are not rubbing. So stran

Hold up! Correct me if I’m wrong, more positive offset moves the wheel out. I upgraded my wheels to 6x130 +40 offset with 295/79/17 and they’re nowhere near the brake lines? If I’m wrong, let me know, because if I am, I’m eating every line behind my wheel!
Yes more positive offset moves the wheel out, but @coloradosnow said the factory is +55 and he put +50 so if my brain isn’t malfunctioning, and it often does when it comes to figures, that effectively means -5 from the factory wheel. In your case at +55 - +40 you end up effectively -15 which as you say, if the clearances are really that tight you may be in trouble. Its hard to believe the clearances are actually that tight though because just a build up of mud on a standard wheel might land you in trouble if that was really the case.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:34 AM
Reaction score
What tires were you running? Did you buy the rims onlne?

Texas Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Yes more positive offset moves the wheel out, but @coloradosnow said the factory is +55 and he put +50 so if my brain isn’t malfunctioning, and it often does when it comes to figures, that effectively means -5 from the factory wheel. In your case at +55 - +40 you end up effectively -15 which as you say, if the clearances are really that tight you may be in trouble. Its hard to believe the clearances are actually that tight though because just a build up of mud on a standard wheel might land you in trouble if that was really the case.
All right, I’m gonna have to get mine up on a lift this weekend and I’ll let you know!!! Good luck @coloradosnow

coloradosnow

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:34 AM
Reaction score
What tires were you running? Did you buy the rims onlne?
bought from discount tire - though vehicle hadn't arrived yet. So nothing inaccurate on their end. I picked wheels and tires based on sizes and what had read from others doing.
Same size as stock tires on the 17s - 265/70/17. Wheels: Method MR706s at 17x7.5 with 84.1mm bore, +50mm. tires are Firestone Winterforce LTs (as wanted the higher load index). I appreciate the perspectives as the cause sounds odd (not saying is inaccurate, but strange to me that 5mm further from the strut would be the culprit, and this costly.

Using the below site, the +50mm offset puts the new wheel 5mm further from the strut. Which I thought would be better than the opposite,

1703717268133.png

Texas Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
bought from discount tire - though vehicle hadn't arrived yet. So nothing inaccurate on their end. I picked wheels and tires based on sizes and what had read from others doing.
Same size as stock tires on the 17s - 265/70/17. Wheels: Method MR706s at 17x7.5 with 84.1mm bore, +50mm. tires are Firestone Winterforce LTs (as wanted the higher load index). I appreciate the perspectives as the cause sounds odd (not saying is inaccurate, but strange to me that 5mm further from the strut would be the culprit, and this costly.

Using the below site, the +50mm offset puts the new wheel 5mm further from the strut. Which I thought would be better than the opposite,

View attachment 7837378
That’s what I thought as well. Hopefully this is an isolated incident. How much are they charging you for the repairs?

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I seriously doubt the tires and wheels are causing this. I have a + 40 offset with 28/70/17s that are not rubbing. So stran

Hold up! Correct me if I’m wrong, more positive offset moves the wheel out. I upgraded my wheels to 6x130 +40 offset with 295/79/17 and they’re nowhere near the brake lines? If I’m wrong, let me know, because if I am, I’m eating every line behind my wheel!
I believe you are correct, a lower positive offset value (compared to factory) moves the barrel of the wheel out wards from the mounting surface, so if the wheel and tyre width are the same there should be more clearance. If fitting wider tyres you may need a lower offset to counter the additional tyre width if rubbing was going to be an issue.

Texas Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
if any of you follow Kenyan Grenadier on YouTube he has been driving all over Africa and Tanzania with +38 offset and 285/76/17 Mud Terrain tires without any issues. I’m curious what @Krabby hears from our friends in Oz. I’ve also cross posted on a few of the IG Facebook pages to find out if this is happening.

Back
Top Bottom